Transferring TS2010 to new computer with Windows 7 64 bit

ingha

I have transferred my old copy of TS2010 on a spare hard drive to a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. It seems to run ok and is much quicker in Surveyor, but I have two questions members might be able to help me with.

1. Would I get better performance (eg frame rates) if I reinstalled from scratch? The old computer was Vista 32 bit.

2. I can download from the DLS from my Content Manager, but if I try pressing 'download' on an item directly in the DLS I get a message that the web server doesn't know what protocol to use and cannot connect. Am I missing some vital bit of programme?

Any views or help much appreciated.

If you just copied TS2010 to the other computer instead of installing it, then the register entries didn't get made. Hence, Windows doesn't now what program to use for a .cdp file.

Bob

It's always a good idea to re-install if moving to a new system, otherwise you may not be able to uninstall it if a problem arises.

rweber95 is correct though, there are some critical registry entries relating to Trainz. Normally, Content Manager should create the required entries, but you will have problems patching to a newer build. Also, remember (as with Vista) that you will need to run Trainz as admin.

Shane

Thanks. I'll try a new install and see what happens.

Just done a copy across to a new PC here.
No need to reinstall, just try to open a cdp file on your pc, which won't know what to use, choose the browse option to find content manager and select that and tick the use this always or something like that box.

Just to add if you haven't installed it just copied, the uninstall is the reverse, delete then run Ccleaner to remove the couple of reg entries there are doing it that way, never had a problem doing it that way or any problems patching.

Last edited:
clam1952, is it a good idea to simply do that? If they run into a problem later on, they may run into problems when they do need to re-install. Anyway, some people may not know how to use a registry cleaner correctly (which may or may not create more problems)

To be honest, it's best to install it properly just in case it has to install any system components that may not be present on the new system.

That's my two cents worth when it comes to putting programs on new systems.

Shane

Reinstalled and now working fine with all updates and all links active. Thanks again for all your responses.

clam1952, is it a good idea to simply do that? If they run into a problem later on, they may run into problems when they do need to re-install. Anyway, some people may not know how to use a registry cleaner correctly (which may or may not create more problems)

To be honest, it's best to install it properly just in case it has to install any system components that may not be present on the new system.

That's my two cents worth when it comes to putting programs on new systems.

Shane

Can't really argue with that, however for info, Trainz hardly touches the registry, mostly it's just MRU's there are no system components installed other than what is in the Trainz folder, the only thing the install adds that a copy and running the program doesn't is shortcuts and the file association, that may well change in future versions though.

CCleaner is pretty idiot proof and doesn't do a deep clean like some other cleaners do, so long as you use the backup option you can't go wrong. Plus the uninstall never works properly, if at all on trainz, if you have patched or installed an addon, so you end up deleting and running a cleaner anyway.

Shane, I'm getting new computer and want to make disks of the up dates and install them at same time i install TRS 10. Is there something i have to do to the updated disks so they will just install after installing the original one's which is build 41622. I know i need the up date from build 41622 to build 44088.
Thank
Danny5

It is possible to do so if you are using the manual patch method - just download the manual patch from the Auran Announcements forum and burn it to disc.

Once you have installed TS2010, you will then be able to install the patch from the newly-created CD - I don't think it is possible though, to slipstream the Trainz disc for it to install the patch during installation (unless you create a batch file and run it from that) - if you are interested in that route, let me know and I can give you the instructions on how to create it)

Shane

OK, type the following commands into Notepad, replacing everything in brackets with the correct path/file name.

@echo off
Start /WAIT <cd drive>/Data/Setup.exe /clone_wait
Start /WAIT <patch path and filename>

Save the file as a batch file (by changing the file type to all files in the save as box and adding .bat to the end)

When you come to run it, run it as admin by right-clicking it and choosing run as administrator.

If you have any problems, let me know (be aware, the patch will run straight after the install - if you don't want that to happen, add a pause command between the two Start commands). Also, if Trainz does start, watch out if the patcher apppears behind. If it does, you may need to use the pause command in the batch file)

Shane

Last edited:
Murchison reinstall URL?

Can we back up a little .... I also have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. I was brand new to TRAINZ so I don't want to transfer, I want to re-install. Can you tell me where I need to download from. I have TRAINZ 2009 Murchison.:confused:

Robertf4b, if it's a downloadable version you should be able to download the file(s) from your Auran Profile (Order History page)

If it's from elsewhere, you will need to login into the site where you got it from.

Shane

Can we back up a little .... I also have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. I was brand new to TRAINZ so I don't want to transfer, I want to re-install. Can you tell me where I need to download from. I have TRAINZ 2009 Murchison.:confused:

If you downloaded it, you should have kept the setup files on the old PC, if it still works that is, just burn them to DVD and run the setup from the DVD, should be quicker than downloading again.

Always advisable to save any digital downloads and put them on a CD / DVD in case you need to reinstall on another PC or you loose the drive you have saved them on.

Edit:
That was quick! looks like problem solved anyway, advice above still holds though in case the downloads ever cease to be available.

Last edited:
Back