Trainz Semaphores (Waiting for Train to Approach)

Steaming101

Local Transition Era nut
Hi, Steaming101 here.

I have been having some trouble with Bloodnok's "Sig UQ" line of semaphore signals. I'm trying to build a prototypical UK route for my leisure (and I stretch the word "prototypical", as I'm running right-hand). So far I've managed to set up trackwork to mimic Settle & Carlisle's Settle Junction, but I need help with the signals themselves. Oddly enough, the signals say that they are waiting for a train to approach. I get this is prototypical as a home signal, but how do I get the signals to remain off when there's no train nearby? It's really annoying to have to start and stop at each signal.

This may have something to do with the signal scripts with the older Bloodnok signals. There are other UK-style semaphore signals available. Chrisaw, or someone else has updated a bunch of them recently under his username as part of the asset repair program, which may work.

I have seen this no train approaching message myself, and I found that it occurs after lots of operation with lots of AI trains operating. My band-aide is to pause the simulation periodically and then resume operation. Saving and exiting the operating session and resuming helps as well. Older signals seem to be more affected by this issue, which makes me wonder if it's related to the scripts used at the time.

If Bloodnok's signals are the same as those used on the S&C they should work ok. Is your copy of the Settle Junction also signalled for left hand running? If so there is your problem since you are running wrong track on the right. If you have signalled correctly for right hand running all your signals will be in the 6ft. (i.e. between the two tracks).

Hi, Steaming101 here.

I have been having some trouble with Bloodnok's "Sig UQ" line of semaphore signals. I'm trying to build a prototypical UK route for my leisure (and I stretch the word "prototypical", as I'm running right-hand). So far I've managed to set up trackwork to mimic Settle & Carlisle's Settle Junction, but I need help with the signals themselves. Oddly enough, the signals say that they are waiting for a train to approach. I get this is prototypical as a home signal, but how do I get the signals to remain off when there's no train nearby? It's really annoying to have to start and stop at each signal.

The signals are designed to remain in the danger (stop) position if a train isn't approaching . This is how semaphore signals work in the UK . They need to be set up correctly under absolute block rules so that you have at least a distant signal (or combined) followed by 1 or more stop signals followed by another distant signal (or combined) and repeat again (If signal boxes are close together you could have combined followed by combined etc.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_block_signalling#/media/File:AbsoluteBlockDiagram.png .

If the signalling is not set up correctly then you will have trains pulling up close to stop signals and the signal then clearing , which is what your currently experiencing .
Might be worth you reading through these online pages about Absolute block signalling :

http://www.signalbox.org/block/absolute01.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_block_signalling

Last edited:
Back