Trainz Plus Beta update - PC Only 121941

n3v_laurence

Thank you to all those who have been testing Trainz Plus Beta. We have a minor update to fix some of the issues found in the last build.

Please report any bugs using this link: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Key Features:

• New HD Grid resolution
  • New Shader Options, Basic, Standard & Extreme
    • Basic is equivalent to old Standard
    • Standard is equivalent to old Ultra
  • New Update Route option
  • Clutter Effect Layer Rework
    • GPU Clutter
  • New Color Tint Effect Layer
  • New User Interfaces
  • Water Effect Layers changes including options for water color

Change log from 121880 to 121941:
  • Water Effect Layer Fixes - Rendering and Upgrade Route fix
  • Upgrade Route Fix - Resolve a freeze that was occurring in some routes.
  • Extreme Shader - Flickering shadow on ground with a high gradient is now fixed
  • Fine Adjustment Tool - Fix to show spline points when cursor is close proximity
  • Adjustments to Shader settings
  • Updated Trainz Performance Configuration

HD Grid:

• 30km draw distance
  • Tessellation ensuring detail up close, reduced detail in the distance
  • Original textures used for mini-map/satellite view (No "Low LOD" textures)
  • Maximum 16 textures per baseboard
  • Minimum 0.125m Radius brush size
  • No baseboard "walls" (extend your terrain indefinitely)
  • Rotation and Scale options for HD Textures
  • Scrapbook support should be good now (please report bugs with detailed steps)
  • Lots of tweaks to parallax and displacement mapping
  • "Add New Baseboard" option
  • "Convert Existing Baseboard to..." option
  • "Upgrade Route" option to automate conversion to HD
    • Converts legacy water to water effect layer (all water will appear 5m below ground surface)
    • Updates all baseboards to HD
    • Checks for the 16 most used textures on each board and replaces other textures with nearby textures (Automatic Handling)

Effect Layers:

• Color Effect Layer type added (S20 & HD Terrain Only)
  • Rework and improvement of Clutter Effects
  • Implementation of GPU Clutter for smoother performance
  • Water Effect Layers now support color changes

User Interface Changes:

• New Driver Properties Window
  • New Driver Settings, Driver location, Player Assignment, Dispatch Status, Command status, Activity log
  • Vehicle Properties Window updated with new properties as per Driver
  • New Driver MiniMap (found in Driver Properties Window)
  • New Driver Palette for S20

Important Information:

• HD Terrain is only editable in S20
  • HD Terrain does not support seamless joins to legacy terrain (so we recommend converting the entire route)
  • HD Terrain is not compatible with Legacy Water
  • Converting from HD Terrain to 5m & 10m will cause some loss of detail
  • Large Copy & Paste operations do not support HD detail
  • Color Effect requires a minimum 5m radius
  • Use Sensitivity % to adjust the rate of update when painting/terraforming
  • New Detail windows and logs
  • Asset naming (previously done via properties) has been moved to Info Palette

Known Issues:

• The current build has had some optimisation, however there are some known slow operations that will be addressed prior to official release.
  • High resource usage on HD routes
  • Assertion Errors are enabled for this build. Trainz will pause until Assertion Errors are closed. Users can select Continue and Ignore Errors. (Reporting when these occur with bugs will help with troubleshooting)
  • DLC packages will report a failure to download precache data. Clicking retry will ignore the error and proceed to complete installation
  • DLC Packages will report a precache assertion error during database rebuild. Select Continue and Ignore Errors
  • MPS is unsupported for this build
  • Water Effect Layer does not work with color from skybox, but instead has its own color options, now allowing for different water colors for each individual Water Effect Layer
  • Setting an AI Navigation command via the new Driver Details window will cause Trainz to hang (work around, use CTRL + right click in Driver to set Navigate To)

REMINDER:
** Please ensure you have a backup of your local data folder before using it with Trainz Plus Beta **

INSTALLING & PATCHING:

For Trainz Plus Beta via the Trainz Plus Beta Stream
PC Trainz Store Only:
Requires build 121880 (PC). This is a small patch 61 MiB for build 121941

Mac & Steam will be following later this week

This build introduces several new key features coming to Trainz Plus in 2023. Please note this is a Beta release and as such, some features are still in the final phase of development.

Last edited:
It may be a coincidence but this beta build seems to have resolved one problem I was having with the previous beta - the Upgrade Route option would freeze near the end of upgrading a large route from 10m resolution to HD resolution. Now the Upgrade runs to completion.

Upgrade went smoothly and was fast. This beta solved one problem I was having with one of my routes and that was one area being immersed in water. Ran a few sessions and so far so good.

Grade and Set Height Brushes not working at HD resolution

*EDIT*

I guess this is attached to the Shader Quality setting. If this has been discussed previously, I must have missed it. So it seems I get terrain that works, or I get Track that is not covered by PBR textures. I'll have to think about it.

***Pre-Edit post below***

It seems the Grade and Set Height brushes only work on points at 4 metre intervals, regardless of brush size.

UejdJko.png

Last edited:
It's been quite some time since I played around with the Alpha release. But the updates to Build 121941 were quick and painless. As was the Database Rebuild which took only a matter of seconds.

I tried it with all the sliders set to the maximum on one of my model railroads. The load time is considerably faster than I'm used to in TRS19 and 22. Excellent. Overall the graphics seem perhaps a little darker but it also seem crisper.

Frame rates are good with imperceptible stutter, despite the PBR textures and the considerable demands of the TurfFX ground covers and Clutter flowers. It's much better than earlier versions.

Setting shadows to the maximum kills my frame rates in TRS19/22, but this version handles it well.

I was so impressed that I made a short video. Full screen / 1440p:

watch

Phil

Last edited:
It seems the Grade and Set Height brushes only work on points at 4 metre intervals, regardless of brush size.
Are you sure you're in HD there? The terrain looks like a 5m grid.

Phil - great job!

Prior to the release of the Trainz Plus Update 121880, you could zoom out until the baseboards appeared and then right click on any area of the route, and it would take you to that particular baseboard. Now, it ceases to work, even after upgrading to Trainz Plus Update 121941.

Is there a workaround for this, or is it permanent?

Joe

Prior to the release of the Trainz Plus Update 121880, you could zoom out until the baseboards appeared and then right click on any area of the route, and it would take you to that particular baseboard. Now, it ceases to work, even after upgrading to Trainz Plus Update 121941.

It is still working in my copy of Trainz Plus beta 121941.

Last edited:

Is there a workaround for this, or is it permanent?

Joe
'

It seems like if you are in Roaming camera mode before zooming out it works as expected when it flips to map camera mode. If you are in some other camera modes it does not. You should be in Roaming camera mode for most surveyor functions. If you flip from Driver to Surveyor it asks if you want to change to Roaming camera mode. If you zoom out and it doesn't work just hit the "4" key across the top of the keyboard to activate roaming mode and it works.

Last edited:
'

It seems like if you are in Roaming camera mode before zooming out it works as expected when it flips to map camera mode. If you are in some other camera modes it does not. You should be in Roaming camera mode for most surveyor functions. If you flip from Driver to Surveyor it asks if you want to change to Roaming camera mode. If you zoom out and it doesn't work just hit the "4" key across the top of the keyboard to activate roaming mode and it works.

I tried all of the above, but to no avail. The problem also exists in all of my routes, plus the Trainz Plus routes. I also noticed that when I right click on a baseboard, I can rotate the entire map, no matter how far I zoom out.

If anyone can find a solution to this problem, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks for the input.

Joe

Please submit a bug report with a step-by-step list of what you click on. Include details of settings, build number, hardware, mouse etc.

I tried all of the above, but to no avail. The problem also exists in all of my routes, plus the Trainz Plus routes. I also noticed that when I right click on a baseboard, I can rotate the entire map, no matter how far I zoom out.

If anyone can find a solution to this problem, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks for the input.

Joe

The latest version is 122060. Is this issue still present for you after patching?

Joe

This very much sounds like you are locked in "Chase" Camera mode. Are you able to select "Roaming" from the drop down menu found under the Camera Menu? Please submit a bug report so we can investigate it further..

This very much sounds like you are locked in "Chase" Camera mode. Are you able to select "Roaming" from the drop down menu found under the Camera Menu? Please submit a bug report so we can investigate it further..

Yes, I'm able to access all of he camera modes.

Joe

Back