Trainz on Linux in 2022

Interesting. I guess that we /both/ kinda wish that you did.

Noted.

Doing the math, that means that you have 1.2 gig of space in use. My boot partition, as I mentioned earlier, is on a thumb drive, a Cruzer Glide model that I had thought was 32 gig, but my partition editor claims that it 14.32 gig. Anyway, I had repartitioned the drive to allow for a Grub2 with extra modules to live before the actual partition, and the partition itself starts at sector 2048 and runs for the rest of the drive. The partition itself registers at 14.32 gig also, probably due to the small size of 2048 sectors not registering on the gig-scale number. 722.24 meg is occupied, leaving 13.61 gig free. I guess that that`s a bit of a case of over-kill, but it is what was available at the time. I guess that around 1 gig should be plenty for me, when I repartition my tower`s SSD. If this fits well with your daughter`s case, I believe I have a starting point for the tower.

I guess then that that would make you "coat-hanger girl", no? <wink> I knew from snooping at your profile that you are a New Zealander, and I think that I had seen it mentioned in the forums a time or two, as well. Three-foot-six-inch gauge? If I`m understanding that correctly, it sounds /big/. Where I live, four-foot-eight-and-a-half-inches is what the actual commercial trains run on. It sounds like your Kotanga Tramway could have carried living adult human passengers! I used to run what we call O27, which, as you probably already know, is O gauge --approximately two inches, as I recall-- with a twenty-seven inch diameter circle for curved track. I tried to switch to HO (Half O?) so as to have more room for trains, only to discover that the curves were /larger/ than what I already had. I have an O27 layout in the basement on a fold-up murphy-bed style table that hasn`t been folded down in decades, and no place for a permanent HO layout. Trainz doesn`t take up much /physical/ space. When I registered my first Trainz, 2004, in late 2007, I entered MasterTracklayer for no good reason that I can recall. I guess it just sounded "cool" or something. Surprise, it wasn`t already taken. I don`t recall for sure if it was my first choice, but I think it was.

Nice chatting with you. Let`s do it again, sometime.

Three-foot-six-inch gauge? If I`m understanding that correctly, it sounds /big/. Where I live, four-foot-eight-and-a-half-inches is what the actual commercial trains run on. It sounds like your Kotanga Tramway could have carried living adult human passengers!
Three foot six inch gauge or 'Cape Gauge' is the standard track gauge here in New Zealand. My model Trainz layout named the 'Kotanga Tramway' was built in TS2009 World Builder Edition and made use of track sized to represent 'Cape Gauge' trackwork. As nice as it would be to own a full sized ex NZGR branchline it would swiftly become a very expensive hobby that I definitely could not afford.

Oh. <chuckle> It certainly would! I had thought that you were referring to having had a physical model named Kotanga Tramway when you started using Trainz, and that you had taken your username from /that/. Oops. <blush> No wonder things didn`t quite add up right. I was wondering where you had packed up all that hardware when you stopped playing with it. It would likely have taken a warehouse, not a garage or basement, were it really physical. There is a park about a day`s drive from where I live that has what I believe is a two-foot gauge loop, complete with a steam locomotive and passenger cars. They had to stop selling rides on it when the locomotive broke down and cost more to repair than they could afford. Last I heard, they still have the hardware, though. I have Trainz 2004, 2009/2010, 2022, and 2022PE, only the last two currently installed. I wonder if I could get the older ones running on Linux, assuming that I can /find/ the CDs! My 2009/2010 came as a twin-pack with two CDs.

Update: I`ve tried to create a boot partition as small as what I calculated above, but the smallest partition my partition editor is willing to create is actually bigger than the whole thumb drive appears to be. I guess I`ll have to go with that.

I tried to install LVM on the tower`s SSD, only to be told that the available space was too small, so I created a single partition in the remaining space. Boot partition, System partition, and Stuff partition. Still looking for ways to get past "won`t continue because can`t update".

I tried to install LVM on the tower`s SSD, only to be told that the available space was too small, so I created a single partition in the remaining space. Boot partition, System partition, and Stuff partition. Still looking for ways to get past "won`t continue because can`t update".
You may have leftover Windows partitions on the SSD from your failed Windows install. Remove those and try again.

Can`t. Long since deleted, before repartitioning. Had to, as the drive had four primary partitions and lots of unallocated space. Or I could have just told my partitioning software to start with an empty partition table; same thing in the long run. Either way, too late now. I had tried to put the extended partition under LVM, but when it refused, I just created a fill-all-the-space data partition there.

Since that is the only partition there, I could delete the extended partition and turn the data partition in it into a primary partion, then grow it to fill the space occupied by the extended-partition-accounting-data, and gain myself some more storage space. I do have the tools to do that with. Does Windows? I think not. <wink> Just one more way that Linux can outdo Windows. (Yeah. yeah, yeah, there are a few that go the other way, too. For example, nothing runs Windows-native programs quite like Windows itself.)

Windows has that capability built-in using Disk Manager. There are also third-party programs that do that as well plus take many other command-line utilities and applets and put them in a single place that allow the user to convert partition-types, and clone hard drives.

It's odd that the disk isn't working properly. Is the disk healthy? You need to run some kind of utility to do that which goes beyond a simple fsck.

Huh? What makes you think it isn`t working properly? /me is confused.
The inability to write the partition properly. For starters, I always verify hardware integrity when it comes to used hardware. I've been burned in the past with "new" hardware that wasn't. SSDs are different than a real hard disk and are more related to EEROMs and their relations thumb drives. As cells wear down, they eventually die and the allocated space on an SSD is reduced when there's not enough replacement cells left to make up the difference. Cells can be marginal and the SSD can report everything is fine until it's examined by a utility.

The inability to write the partition properly.
Huh? The only thing that I reported that even resembled that was back in message #85, and the error had nothing to do with inability to write to the device. The tool complained that the space was too small and refused to even try. Nothing was written because nothing tried to write, not because a write failed.
For starters, I always verify hardware integrity when it comes to used hardware.
The tower was used. The SSD was brand new. I thought that I had implied that sufficiently. Apparently not.

As for the rest, the comparison with EEPROMs is not lost on me, nor is the rest news, although I must admit that I was not thinking about that particularly. I don`t know what utility I would use to test that, though.

I didn't know the SSD was new and wasn't exactly implied, or totally whiffed and that flew over my head. We do tend to 'gather' up hardware from various sources, so it was possible I had assumed the SSD came with the computer.

On the PC there's HD Sentinel. There's a pay version and a pay version. Both do the same thing. The pay version has the ability to phone home if the drives are monitored.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

I don't know what's available on Linux but at this point, you can't test that anyway in Linux.

Since the drive is new, I wouldn't worry about it then.

I distinctly recall mentioning somewhere that I had installed the SSD myself. No clue where, though. I don`t recall one way or the other about mentioning that I had bought it new, but I did. You are correct about collecting hardware. As near as I can recall, the custom-built shoebox computer is the only one that I have that I have ever purchased new.

No, strike that. I also purchased a laptop brand new. I have a project that is going nowhere fast that I bought it for. I selected the least expensive hardware my dealer could provide, on the theory that if I could get it to run there, I could get it to run anywhere. I then specified the largest hard drive available, regardless of the fact that it was slower than some of the smaller drives, and ordered the machine with KUbuntu preinstalled. I then installed all the required tools, learned how to use them, and worked on the project for years. Nada. I had no idea how to make useful use of the centermost tool.

Oops, too much irrelevant detail. I gotta learn to control that. Anyway, those are the only two I`ve ever purchased new. Everything else has either been acquired used, or was a newly-purchased thingamajig to add to an existing computer.

I'm usually given a lot of hardware to "test" and then no one wants it afterwards. Anyway, this is going off topic rather easily. At this point, it's one of those who really cares anymore kind of things. The summary of it is I didn't remember or know the drive was new and you've got an issue that I can't figure out either.

I got it working, after a fashion. Anyone wanting details can find them here.

@KotangaGirl, I saw your old thread about Carpetville, was it? The O-gauge living-room floor route. I like it, and I think I "Like"d a few of the posts. Where did you get the carpeting from?

I got it working, after a fashion. Anyone wanting details can find them here.

@KotangaGirl, I saw your old thread about Carpetville, was it? The O-gauge living-room floor route. I like it, and I think I "Like"d a few of the posts. Where did you get the carpeting from?
The carpet is on the DLS <KUID:768291:12447> C+ MR Old Patterned Carpet 1. It's one of a number of carpets that I did for Trainz Model Railways.

Thanks for the likes. Carpeton was a lot of fun to build up and run, though it's been a while since I last did anything with it.

Two things: 1) You`re welcome. 2) It`s now on my "downloads" picklist. Was the track yours too?

Edit: I guess that was three things. Oops.

Two things: 1) You`re welcome. 2) It`s now on my "downloads" picklist. Was the track yours too?

Edit: I guess that was three things. Oops.
<kuid2:46819:38196:1> O Gauge Track. No the track isn't mine. I'm not clever enough to make track.

In addition to this you will need:

<kuid:46819:38199> JJS Invisible Track
<kuid2:46819:17004:1> O Left Switch
<kuid2:46819:17005:1> O Right Switch

I`m pretty sure that I already have about half a dozen or so invisible tracks installed, just from built-in and packaged content. Is that particular invisible track special somehow?

Oh, I see that all four items are by the same creator. I`ll have to look into them once I get the game running decently. Did you have any difficulty with the game window itself not rendering? I thought it might have been due to opening it while the initial DBR was still running, but I couldn`t close it even long after the DBR finished, even though everything else seemed to be sort-of-working. Problems with the in-game Store window as well. 🤷‍♂️ Here`s hoping, anyway. Right now, the install on the laptop is still working better despite being slower and smaller of screen. Makes scripting awkward. Much appreciated.

Back