Trainz 2010 - DirectX problem

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate doesn't support 3D games because it emulates a 2D video card, not a 3D video card. Every few months, Microsoft updates DirectX files.

Actually I think we are talking about two different things here.

What I was referring to is the simple “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option under the program's property options that is available in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

What Jeff is referring to is this -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

which just as Jeff has also mentioned is not something you would use for 3D games as anyone who has used it will agree.

I would agree with what you have said regarding Virtual PC - usually the speed is not good enough for running realtime games like Trainz.

I think the OS compatibility option in the Properties box can allow Windows to think it is running DirectX 9.0C if it is set to Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Shane

may be partly to blame for the Auran patchers requiring DirectX 9.0C​

It's requiring a DirectX 9 update not a DX9.0C install.

I think the OS compatibility option in the Properties box can allow Windows to think it is running DirectX 9.0C if it is set to Windows XP (Service Pack 3)​

I've seen absolutely no benefit to running any of my older sims/games (including Trainz) in Windows XP/SP3 compatibility mode.

Fair enough - A DirectX 9 update and a DirectX 9.0C update are the same thing (at the moment at least)

Some people use XP SP3 compatibility mode to avoid certain problems with applications that do not run correctly under Win Vista/7 native mode. To be honest though, like you, I have not usually been able to run Trainz correctly in compatibility mode (my friend's system even throws up random fatal errors in Trainz when run in compatibilty mode - his system is the same as mine)

I still have concern about DirectX 10 dropping support for .TGA files though - perhaps that's why Trainz still uses DirectX 9, rather than DirectX 10/11? (The link I posted a couple of posts ago discusses that particular issue).

As always though, DirectX is a thorny/complex issue, whichever way someone looks at it.

Shane

EDIT: Just found some interesting info: http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-and-so-it-ends-7762.shtml (quote from page: ' Some sort of "compatibility" will be available through a software layer (probably some emulation) which will have its price in system resources, as it will run much slower' - sounds like the 'emulated' DirectX 9 may be a lot slower than the actual DirectX 9, according to that page)

Last edited:
I have WIN 7 64bit Ultimate. AS I understand it this means it has Directx 10 hardware/directX 11 software capability.
I have installed DirectX 9 as well, as Trainz will only use DirectX 9. There is no intention as far as I know that Trainz will use other than DirectX 9.

Nearly all 32 bit applications run quite well. I generally keep away from the c:\ drive program files folders for almost all applications. This appears to overcome the run as administrator issue.

However, having said that, Trainz usually throws a fit each time that an update/patch is required. I find that Trainz Options have reverted to default display resolution, hardware acceleration, shadows and vertex offset.

Having corrected this I switch to DirectX and the issue of the missing DirectX driver is resolved until the next update/patch.

There has been a recent update to DirectX 9 which I have now installed. Hopefully this will overcome.

Last edited:
A little update –

I just got done with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on the i7 975/ATI 5870 based machine listed below.

After I reformatted, the DirectX update from June 2010 was installed along with all of the latest Windows updates and drivers for my hardware.

TS2010 installed without any problems as did SP3 and the game runs fine in DirectX mode.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme (901 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition w/Corsair H50
Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMT6GX3M3A1600C7
EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked (259.31)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
Corsair AX1200 Watt
Corsair 800D w/NoiseBlocker fans

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT
Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.7a)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

Glad to hear that your experiences is good, to be honest though, most people probably don't have a system that is that powerful (I could be wrong though).

Just like you, I am still keeping abreast of DirectX updates (I'm expecting one later this month, if it has not already been released)

Shane

Glad to hear that your experiences is good, to be honest though, most people probably don't have a system that is that powerful (I could be wrong though).

Just like you, I am still keeping abreast of DirectX updates (I'm expecting one later this month, if it has not already been released)

Shane

Actually Shane my response wasn’t about the performance of TS2010 on a high end system it was just another confirmation that on a fresh Windows 7 or Vista install (both of which have DirectX 10/11 support) there are no issues with installing or running TS2010 or TRS2009 with the latest DirectX (June 2010) update.

Fair enough - it is still interesting to see how other people get on with their systems when running Trainz (whether it is a 'normal' system or a high-end system.

Shane

Back