Train consist sitting precariously on corner of map

ctclark1

Does anyone remember the older Thomas the Tank Engine episode with Bill and Ben and the missing cars and the Diseasel? Because I feel like someone's messing with me, and its name is Trainz.

This is not the first odd thing that's happened in Trainz today and it's slightly concerning me that, true to historical fashion, I'm going to make some decent progress on my routes and then things are just going to explode like always... (in the past I've had to abandon or perform major overhaul on routes where splines decided to fly all over the place, baseboards flatten and create sinkholes 720 meters square, track and other items mysteriously become duplicated, and it's always very frustrating and yet I keep coming back... I'm insane.)

In a different route earlier today I had some odd happenings with spline points losing their height randomly (literally turning from yellow to white and dropping to the ground in front of me while working on another spline next to it) and one "object" asset, which I SWEAR had 3 attachment points (<kuid2:506208:100079:3> YARNish Adaptor L1L2) suddenly only having two, one for each of the L1 roads... I could have sworn that I used a third for attaching the L2 road but I placed one and it was gone, then I went back and looked at others I had placed and they too were gone... If I'm crazy and there was never a third attachment please tell me so I know I've lost my mind.

But that's not the reason for this post. I saved, made some CDP backups just in case something went totally haywire, closed Trainz and went to sleep since I work overnight. Come back tonight to kill a little time after I woke up before work and open a second route I've been working on (coincidentally, the one with the duplicated tracks, I've just been ignoring that area for the time being since it hasn't interfered in the rest of the route)... And as I'm working in the downtown city area, I swear I left a train by the station here...
kzRh9co.jpg

I know it had an Amtrak engine, so I search for Amtrak in the find Assets... and it brings me over here. Originally the "Find Objects" window was open and it showed 3 consists all at different angles right at the corner, but none of that made it into the screenshot so I won't post that one, but on zooming in, this is what I find.
d3SGd1o.jpg

(Note - They are all at the same angle here, but in when I first found them in the zoomed out "map-like" view it showed all three at different angles... Don't know if that makes a difference?)

I can't be the only person in the world that all this weird stuff happens to, can I? Am I doing something so horribly wrong that I literally find every teeny tiny bug that most people have never heard of in EVERY version of Trainz that I've owned? Did I waste a bunch of money thinking maybe TRS19 would fix the bugs and maybe be stable enough to actually work in?

This is a known bug. N3V is working on it. I had consists disappear from a yard and I found it later with the boxcars arranged neatly in a circle with one end facing to the middle around the world origin. The problem happens randomly, but they are aware of the issue.

Let's hope there's a fix for this at some point.

I hope you put some a piece of foam cushion or a pillow along the edge of that baseboard. I sure wouldn't want to see that locomotive fall to its demise on to the floor!

I have the same problem on some of my routes except that the consists are invisible and only show up on the map.

I have the same problem on some of my routes except that the consists are invisible and only show up on the map.

Yup I had this as well and is another symptom of the same problem. If you can go into the session and click on the location where the invisible consist is, it'll sometimes pop up and sit on the tracks fine. I was able to recover all of my lost assets that way.

The QA Team is having fun with this one.

Invisible consists.jpg

As an added bonus to this issue, I've now also discovered that I have at least one junction and at least 8 trackmarks now also floating in this same mysterious corner. There's no tracks there for them to attach to that I know of either... But I noticed some trackmarks went missing and when I searched in the Find Object surprise! There they were! Not visible as an object, but if I have the Trackmark/Trigger tab open I can see the names all stacked on top of each other. The junction surprised me too just by showing up there, (I couldn't see the arrows, just the name floating in mid air), but interestingly enough when I went to where that junction should've been, it was also in its original location, too.

I also did an experiment by adding ground tiles around the corner, and found that they are at an absolute height of 0 meters, so I lowered the corner down to that and still can only see names, no objects. I went a step further and punched a hole lower, they still sit at absolute 0 (not negative), and just for giggles I lowered a massive cavernous hole at that spot down to well below -2500 meters, still no objects. Just in case it helps with troubleshooting?

They also appear to be on my top route layer. If there was any way to easily select everything and move it off that layer to a new one (except those objects that I can't see/select/edit/move that are on the corner) I would totally try that to get rid of these, because now, especially the trackmarks, are interfering with my route because the names already exist, so I have to change naming elsewhere.

I'm having some very serious concerns that this route is going to end up on the abandoned route rot pile along with so many others I've had to abandon :'( because I'm sure its just a matter of time until all of these oddities add up and the whole thing explodes.

Last edited:
You must've bumped the board and the track marks slid off the edge! :D

Back the route up and then try deleting the baseboards you added. That may force the track marks to poof off to Trainz heaven where they should be at this point. You can then add them back in on the route where they should go. If you have created a session referencing these track marks, you may have to delete and re-add them back to the session. this has been my experience when adjusting track marks in the past.

My fear is that this baseboard is where my world origin is. What are the implications of moving the origin?

It most likely is and is related to that bug I mentioned before.

I don't know what happens when that happens because I've never done that before. On a fictional route, probably nothing will happen, but on one based on an actual world location this can have implications with seasons, lighting, and other things related to that.

Two Consists waiting patiently in a semi circle in mid air off the edge of the board, only happened once, so far!

Far enough to see the results of the bug. But here is how to induce or create the effect: Have some cars or consist on any piece of track. Do this on a session. Now open the corresponding route for that session and delete the same piece of track. Because you have taken away the "support' for these cars, they have nowhere to go, and so the program moves all of them to whatever it thinks is the best place. Sometimes here, sometimes there. This is an artificial form of producing the problem and is somewhat logical. But if it happens by "natural" causes, there must be another reason that should be investigated: where were those cars in the first place? for example.

On the matter of missing spline points. I haf this last night and discovered quite by accident a "fix"

The intersection was missing an attachment circle for a spline. , and the spline that was formerly connected to it was sitting there like I had just dropped it near the edge of the intersection.

I decided Id try to move the end of the spline, but I couldn't "catch it".

Fine... I'll insert a spline point, and delete the little end that's being stubborn.

As soon as I deleted the little section of spline that I guess was but also wasn't attached, the circle on the intersection magically reappeared. I was then able to reattach the road to it like nothing happened.

Full disclosure. A, this is an imported route. B, the intersection had that "two splines are connected between the same two attachment points in" error in content manager, and I had edited the config to eliminate the redundant connections. This is probably where the issue spawned from.

Far enough to see the results of the bug. But here is how to induce or create the effect: Have some cars or consist on any piece of track. Do this on a session. Now open the corresponding route for that session and delete the same piece of track. Because you have taken away the "support' for these cars, they have nowhere to go, and so the program moves all of them to whatever it thinks is the best place. Sometimes here, sometimes there. This is an artificial form of producing the problem and is somewhat logical. But if it happens by "natural" causes, there must be another reason that should be investigated: where were those cars in the first place? for example.

These freight cars on my route were sitting in a yard some distance from where they ended up. The conclusion from the QA Team is it has something to do with the World Origin getting mixed up somewhere, meaning it's been bug reported and added to the ever-growing list of stuff needing repair.

Yikes, good to know the old bugs are still strong with this game haha. I used to have that same issue in TRS2004. There would be invisible objects all huddled at the corner of the map piece. Had to delete them manually or use the find object feature and just go nuts with the delete button.

Back