Track, turnouts and ballast

sparky15

Been wrapped up in Railsimulator for a while and coming back to Trainz. Right now I'm using a "gutted" version of TC 1&2 with Driver and 2006 mixed in. I really enjoy Trainz but I have to say after using RS the track work is kind of hard to swallow, especially turnouts.

Anyone have any insight into improving them? I would like to be able to see frogs and switch points. Also, if anyone knows of better ballast textures a poke in the right direction would be appreciated. I've been adjusting my spline point down about -0.025 or so, depending on the track, to blend it into the scenery better. It looks alright, but a better ballast texture would help a lot.

I'm not stuck on any particular track right now. Willing to settle on one type if I can get all three things in the tittle of this post to match better.

Thanks,
Dave.......

There are animated turnouts with moving switches and full frog/checkrail detail - search for username andi06 among others.

For spline track turnouts there are frog/checkrail detail parts you can add, but no moving points.

All (afaik) Trainz track floats .020 above the ground - iirc something to do with issues involving alpha edges. Only fix is to drop every spline point manually .020. Sux, but worth the effort...

Andy ;)

Hey Dermmy,
Funny, I just logged on to say I found Andi06's kit. Worked like a charm and couldn't believe how simple it was to set up. Took a total of 30 minutes to set it up and figure it out. He did a fantastic job and it improves the track look 100%. One of the main things that put me off of Trainz for awhile.

Now I'm off to find how to get it to work with MP wood from Marias Pass. Also going to see if I can get it to work with Mainline 4m Bright from VMD, I believe. If not Perchpole tracks look pretty decent so far. Still need some ballast textures though, for a better match.

I know what you mean about having to lower the track, -.15 to -.20 looks pretty good, fat fingered the -.25. Only problem I'm having is lowering the turnouts, probably going to have to live with the slight grades to and from them.

Thanks,
Dave.....

Andi0g Animated turnouts. I will try again. I never had any luck getting them to show up in 06, where can I easilly download them, on the DLS ?

Edit: I am downloading "Animated New Yard" it says it uses Andi06 turnouts

Last edited:
Back to MP Wood Track & WRRW TK2A Dark Ballast

The Andi06 switchs on "Animated New Yard" are for flat areas only, and can not conform to any hills or gradients...they are useless unless layed on a flat baseboard. Looking truely 1 Dimensional, they lack any 3D look or illusion. The rail and tie detail is disappointingly lack luster, even much, much worse than "MB Tracks" flat one dimensional, that lack of any prototypical detail.

Surely there is an animated points for Trainz, that looks 3 Dimensional.

Possibly Ocemys high poly turnouts would be better...but they too do not go up a grade, and are for flat baseboards.

The Andi06 switchs on "Animated New Yard" are for flat areas only, and can not conform to any hills or gradients...they are useless unless layed on a flat baseboard. Looking truely 1 Dimensional, they lack any 3D look or illusion. The rail and tie detail is disappointingly lack luster, even much, much worse than "MB Tracks" flat one dimensional, that lack of any prototypical detail.

I respectfully disagree, Andi's junctions look great to me. Yes, they are designed to be flat, like the vast majority of track-attached assets, but I don't think they look 1-dimensional at all. They're not, they're 3-dimensional.

I have to agree, the turnouts look pretty good. Its a pain to have to lay them flat but I think its doable. Much better than the alternate, I hate that ugly mess they call turnouts without it. You would think, after how many years, they could get something as basic as turnouts to look decent out of the box.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the kit to work with MP wood? Pretty much settled on that as my main track to use, would look much better with the junction kit.

Thanks,
Dave....

It may be a little inconvenient sometimes, but if you want to use animated switches you're going to have to accept that. If you do look around you though, many of the routes we've come to love (Clovis immediately springs to mind) don't use animated turnouts at all but well-placed frog switches.

Due to the nature of splines and the nature of Auran, making splines dynamically change appearance (in the case of switches) is almost impossible. The only interaction between splines are at interconnecting points; interaction will not be detected anywhere else (example crossovers and double slips). And knowing Auran who will not even bother to add bounding boxes, as some say; "the impossible just takes longer".

RS/RW, strictly speaking, does not use splines like Trainz does. They're actually just track sections that're laid with a defined radius and length.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
Been to Andi06's site, thats where I downloaded all the pieces and parts from. I went through all you described and didn't see an option for the MP track. His site lists support for it, but no options in the set up. Also went to HP Trainz and downloaded their packs again but still no option to set it for them.

Did get it working for VEB tracks, which look great themselves, and Perchpole tracks. Ties are a little off but no problem there. Just wondering if I missed something along the way.

Thanks for the help.

Dave.....

Dave,

I can't remember exactly how I got these (it's a long while ago now).

Did you try the link (on Andi's site) to the DLS for "Texture File Updates" ?

Also Andi has a long running thread on these forums called (somethiing like) Junction Kit Support - just search for threads started by Andi06. Post there and Andi will help you.

Edit: Or you could just go to the DLS and download everything by Author = Andi06. That should get you the MP textures.....

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,
I missed the updated files somehow. So many CDPs I went right past them. Going to download shortly and see what happens. Thanks again for the help. I like Trainz but these CDPs can make a guy go crossed eyed sometimes.

Dave......

Hi All: I just wanted to ad my two cents worth, and perhaps you already know about it..I use #100 IT US Wood Main oz by Storknest. The oz texture in the surveyor matches with this..Now of course, I use the automatic switch that is supplied by Auran..But to make it look better(more flow)..I add an extra spline point and put it in right before the spline point you just made..Now go to the straightening tool and use it in between the spline points you just made..Snaps the switch right in line..Makes the switch to have more curve and flow..

Bob Cass:) :)

Cascade,
I have that track you're talking about, or something similar, don't have the name of it handy. I agree its great looking but still can't get over how the turnouts look. Call it a quirk, pet peeve or just old fashion OCD, realistic looking frogs and points that move are important to me. The track work in Trainz never looked very good to me, really started to stand out when I started building in another sim.

I really enjoy using Trainz and switch back and forth between the two when the inevitable burnout kicks in. Sure, there are better looking tracks out there but MP Wood is a good compromise. That and Andi06's Junction Kit have put new life and interest into Trainz, for me at least.

They are a bit of a pain to work with but the appearance in the end is well worth the effort. Shame Auran can't get something as basic as track work looking good straight out of the box.

Thanks for all the help. Found all the files I need to get up and running and everything looks good.

Bob, just out of curiosity, do you have any screenshots of your method? I'm always open to new ideas to improve track appearance.

Thanks again everyone.
Dave........

Hi sparky15: Yes I do, but you are talking to lay person when it comes to computers and Tech language..I have it in my art gallery that comes with 2009..But you must explain how get to and on the forum..

Bob Cass:) :)

Bob,
Looks like we are both in trouble. I have no clue how to post screen shots here either. Don't put yourself out. I was just curious is all.

Thanks,
Dave....

Back