Track Circuit Insulator and Detector? What's their purpose?

jamal17

Subways and railroads
What is the purpose of the Track Circuit Insulator and Detector? how can I use them for the NYC subway system I'm building?

These are for interlocking towers to "break up" the controlled sections into smaller blocks. Unless you are using ITs, then they aren't useful for you.

These are for interlocking towers to "break up" the controlled sections into smaller blocks. Unless you are using ITs, then they aren't useful for you.
I use interlocking towers for the system mainly at junctions where lines merge, last night i decided to put TCI’s in the front of an IT controlled interlocking and the signals wouldn’t clear

They are used in a path to detect if the path is occupied like at a platform. If it detects a train it will not clear that path. The TCI must be placed inside the path with the detector in between them.

Hi

As mentioned above these are used to detect if a section is occupied by another consist.

When setting them up make sure that the first insulator is positioned in front of the final signal in the approach path (i.e. it is contained within the path). If it is positioned after the final signal then the path won't see the TC Block. I make extensive use of them at stations and yards.

Regards

Brian

Hi

As mentioned above these are used to detect if a section is occupied by another consist.

When setting them up make sure that the first insulator is positioned in front of the final signal in the approach path (i.e. it is contained within the path). If it is positioned after the final signal then the path won't see the TC Block. I make extensive use of them at stations and yards.

Regards

Brian
It will still see the block even if placed after the last path signal. I have a through station with two EITs for approaching and leaving at each end of the station. The terminators are outside of the platform signals at each end.
EIT (A) has a path that enters in the following order.
Terminator
Approach signal Inbound
leaving signal Outbound
Detector
Leaving signal Outbound
Approach signal Inbound
Terminator
The path is set to finish at the last Outbound signal. This is also the first signal for the train when leaving. I also placed an exclusive point in the station as both towers overlap in the station. This allows only one tower to use the path in the station.

Back