Track becomes invisible, though functional

Stewartbf6

First I apologize if this has been addressed, I searched.

Hello,

I have been working on the Cajon Pass area for several years through 3 versions of Trainz, so it's been upgraded several times, fixed and repaired. I got it operational, AI got trains through route correctly, no cornfield meets. But it was quite ugly scenic wise, like a bad landscape painting. Thanks to the videos of Approach Medium, more RAM, etc., I refocused and decided to quit trying to just copy the real life route and scenery, but to modify a bit to add some local traffic, industries I want,etc. So I've been making progress, lovin' the game all over again.

But, after extended sessions of scenic work, NO Track work at all, I started a session to test line side camera placements, check my work. I was shocked my track was completely broke at one bridge on the south end, but I am used to that happening and have become quite adept at locating and repairing such breeches. It was what I found next that was much worse, the track at the east end, through some of my new scenic efforts, the trains are skating on thin air!!! Like an air hockey puck. This invisible box moves ahead of the trains advance erasing from view every track attached or adjacent item, signals, gantry, comm towers, crossing gates, switches, and so on.

In exiting driver and returning to the area in Surveyor, (It was the next day as it was late at night and I shut down and went to bed. Guess I hoped it would go away, get fixed by the 'Let's Reboot' gremlins that fix Windows all the time.) I find track missing in a long section, as well as a smaller section of fences, etc on the sides.
It's a display problem, had a similar problem right after SP2, but for a short piece of track, like an HO track section, and I just replaced that version with an update of JR ST #132. Which is in the new problem area.

Is it my settings, did I kill it by too much scenery? Trains roll smooth, probably because no resistance from the rails! I am at my perplexed with this one, it's beyond my normal hacking skills, and I don't want to start over, a lot of work went into this section. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if you need more details.

Stewart

I have not experienced this personally but I do recall some posts on the issue. If I can correctly recall the general thrusts of the discussions on this point, here is my summary:-

• An LOD issue in the track itself. I recall posters reporting that the LOD issue was more common in track from certain creators (I do not recall if JR was one of them). Try changing the track.
  • A video card issue. Specifically related to how much video RAM your card has and not just processing "grunt". This is not as easy or as cheap to solve as the LOD possibility.

I have not seen any further reports on this issue from posters who are beta testers and as a beta tester myself I keep a close eye on what other testers are saying. So apart from changing the track type to see if that makes any difference, it may be a case of waiting for the current beta to be released as the mainstream version to resolve your problem.

I still see this problem. Sometimes. Specially with HOTT tracks. Must be related to LOD, as depending on the distance they appear or vanish. I believe N3V was looking after this problem and they could reproduce it (several months ago), and hopefully it has been corrected. Just in case you ask, I have 6Gb memory in the graphics card, and 16Gb system RAM.

• A video card issue. Specifically related to how much video RAM your card has and not just processing "grunt". This is not as easy or as cheap to solve as the LOD possibility.
I have an admittedly crappy video card. In Driver, when switching from one moving loco to another, it takes 10-15 seconds before the entire scene is properly rendered. But once it is, near and distant items stay visible. So, I don't think it's a video card issue.

Thanks everyone,

I have a GeForce 820M with 4 Gb, 8 Gb RAM, just got that. HUGE difference. I will try new track to test it out. Just an update, yesterday everything was fine. So it is not a show stopper. Maybe I can do a winter scene with snow covering the tracks.

Take Care

Back