TPR to close?

teddytoot

Ancient Trainzer
According to a post on their forum TPR is to close in November. Is this correct and if so, what will happen to the Download Depot?

Sounds like you better start downloading anything you might want before it is gone forever.

I couldn't find anything related to closure on the forum, so I think you're just trying to tease us or something. If not, where's the proof?

What we need to do now is plan a new Download Depot for TRS2004 content. I'd offer a large portion of my website but then there's the problem of accounts which my website can't do; only password protected pages.

Kieran.

Here is a copy of the post by kdshanks
It is sad to say that the TPR site will be shutting down in Nov.
icon_sad.gif

Reason: Lack of interest by the TPR board members.

If someone or a group of individuals wish to keep the site going please contact me. It is not a cheap endeavor. If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the good time and God bless

I am the admin for the TPR depot so its in my interest to keep the site open, at this time I dont know what the impending closure will affect I dont know if it will affect the depot or not as I have not been informed about any of this.
I myself would be willing to donate some money but it needs to be shared out among all TRS2004 members who get there content from TPR.
It also not just a one off payment that would be needed but a yearly fund to continue the site in its current state
So is there any one out there among the TRS2004 users who would be willing to contribute?
Let me know via PM I can then contact kdshanks

Last edited:
Here is a copy of the post by kdshanks
It is sad to say that the TPR site will be shutting down in Nov.
icon_sad.gif

Reason: Lack of interest by the TPR board members.

If someone or a group of individuals wish to keep the site going please contact me. It is not a cheap endeavor. If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the good time and God bless

I myself would be willing to donate some money but it needs to be shared out among all TRS2004 members who get there content from TPR.
It also not just a one off payment that would be needed but a yearly fund to continue the site in its current state
So is there any one out there among the TRS2004 users who would be willing to contribute?
Let me know via PM I can then contact kdshanks

You could still take the site onto Jimdo.com, and it won't cost a thing.

I doubt Jimdo will allow the amount of data that would be required for the TPR Download Depot.

Shane
Maybe not, but it could be combined with a file hosting site such as MediaFire or DropBox (I use the first but recommend the second) to upload the stuff.

I could start a section for TRS2004 content on my site, or any site, and then split that page up into the sub-categories that TPR has, and then provide an image and download link to a file on a file-hosting site. It would be free too, but then again, it would be difficult to have some sort of sign-up and members access feature. Those luxuries usually need to be paid for.

Kieran.

A site that can support a CMS system (Content Management System) may be able to help there, but even if using MediaFire/Dropbox, there may still be a limit on how much can be stored, especially if it's all under one user account.

Shane

What seems to be missing here is regret that a group of fine content makers have lost interest in Trainz. TPR go back a long way and produced many innovations for Trainz.

Sorry to see you go and thanks.

A site that can support a CMS system (Content Management System) may be able to help there, but even if using MediaFire/Dropbox, there may still be a limit on how much can be stored, especially if it's all under one user account.

Shane
If that's what happens, then I'll handle the British stuff. :)

Kieran.

Sounds reasonable. Even my site can handle a certain amount thanks to the hosting plan, but I'm not sure on the hosting company's stance when it comes to that kind of thing.

Shane

G'day All, as I see it it's a bit of a no brainer, "If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr." lets see 10 people with $14 a year, 14 people with $10 a year or 28 people with $5 a year. There must be enough people out there that want to keep the site going and I for one would be happy to put a share in to keep it up as the amount of good assets and invaluable information there is more than worth a few $$$.
Regards
Barrie

G'day All, as I see it it's a bit of a no brainer, "If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr." lets see 10 people with $14 a year, 14 people with $10 a year or 28 people with $5 a year. There must be enough people out there that want to keep the site going and I for one would be happy to put a share in to keep it up as the amount of good assets and invaluable information there is more than worth a few $$$.
Regards
Barrie
Hosting24 offers unlimited stuff for like $60-80 a year, if anyone at TPR wants to go that route, I can help lower the list cost a bit more with a code if you contact me.

What seems to be missing here is regret that a group of fine content makers have lost interest in Trainz. TPR go back a long way and produced many innovations for Trainz.

Sorry to see you go and thanks.

I agree. They were the ones that were in the midst of the high times of Trainz with the SCS and other great stuff such as the LARS industries and interactive content.

I do know that the Download Depot is on a separate server and requires a separate login. Perhaps this could be preserved. It's more than just support for the TRS2004 community here as there are still many, many assets on the DLS with dependencies going back to the TPR website. We lose this resource and this will break a lot of routes, industries, and even rolling stock.

John

Back