Total Blank Screen with no warning??

JohnShugg

I get a blank (ie Black) screen suddenly when in the middle of a session. I have to reboot to get the computer back. Ctrl-Alt-del does not work here.

No warning , the game just quit w/o warning and leaves me high and dry. Happens in TRS19 as well . This just started about 3 days ago.
I have re-installed the route and same thing happens. Any thoughts??

John

I get a blank (ie Black) screen suddenly when in the middle of a session. I have to reboot to get the computer back. Ctrl-Alt-del does not work here.

No warning , the game just quit w/o warning and leaves me high and dry. Happens in TRS19 as well . This just started about 3 days ago.
I have re-installed the route and same thing happens. Any thoughts??

John
Graphics Card Failure is the First thing to happen when this comes to mind........ Do Not Touch your computer anymore as playing on it could damage even more items in the PC.. GET a Replacement Now

Start by checking all your external connections both PC and monitor, power and signal, followed by re-seating any graphic card and checking internal connectors. Peter

OK Answer is found. It was the power supply. my video card RTX2060 has an 8-pin connection BUt the power supply (750w) was old enough to only have a 6-pin connector so an adapter was used to the video card. This means the video card was "underpowered" and the power supply was working too hard to try to supply all needed power, HENCE it burned out one of the leads to the card. Replacing the power supply with an 8-pin to 8-pin connector makes everthing work tickity boo.
Thanks guys for the help . I think wilts747 was closest to the solution.

I am now a happy camper

BTW the name of John Shugg comes from my youth. He was the engineer on CN 6065 out of Niagara Falls to Toronto (Canada) in the 50's when I was a boy. Many times he invited me into the cab with him for a ride to St Catherines where my Dad would pick me up. I was 10 years old and it was totally against the rules but I have many great memories thanks to John and his fireman Bill VanAlstein RIP John and Bill

Those are good memories to remember forever.

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. Burned connectors can be an issue if the connection is burned on the board as well.

As a hardware tech, I've seen damage like that on other computer systems where a connector wasn't inserted properly onto a header. The high current draw found normally on the motherboard at the time carbonized the connector completely as well as the +5V, +12, and ground pins on the header.

Back