Thinking of building a computer

Greenvwbeetle

hey everyone I am thinking of saving up to build a computer (It will not just be for Trainz) and I was wondering if I could be possible to build a computer that could run Trainz 2012 at about 20-30 FPS at medium settings (except render distance can be the lowest) for around $400-$450 or less. I have looked around on newegg but would like some help to figure out If it is possible to make one with that performance in that price range.

I would like at least 2 GB of ram (I would like it to be upgradable to 8 GB)
I would prefer an Intel processor but AMD would be fine (Especially for the price)
I would also prefer NVidea graphics but like with the processor ATI would be fine

If I think of anything else I would prefer I will add it to this post (just try to keep it unde $500 if possible I don't get much allowance so it will take a while for me to even get to $400)

Last edited:
I currently don't have my own computer yet so I don't have anything to start with but, do you think would it be possible to make a computer for about $400-$450 that could run Trainz 2012 around 20 FPS even at fairly low graphic settings.

consider my budget build for 400 dollar range
Phenom II X4 965
Gigabyte 970A-UD3 AM3+
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Thermaltake Power Supply TR-500
Any mid tower case
Gigabyte 6670 1GB DDR3
Cooler Master 212 Evo

around 420 dollars in total

would a AMD Athlon II X2 270 Regor 3.4GHz work instead of the Phenom II X4 965 (It is the same speed just not a quad core and it costs less). Also does it really matter if I use the stock fan instead of buying a different fan?

Last edited:
I would think about future-proofing yourself a little bit and avoid the temptation to go cheap on the CPU. But, it doesn't matter if you use the stock fan as long as you aren't overclocking.

FYI, and I'm jut throwing this out there, but I found a nice i5-2500k system at Tigerdirect, but it doesn't include the video card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7496884&CatId=333

Edit: While I'm not fond of Asus, and I have the Gigabyte motherboard mentioned the above kit, here's another good build, and even more future-proof, for $10 less:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7787120&CatId=333

Coupled with this GTX650, you'd have a nice (and pretty future-proof) system.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501123&CatId=7387

I know that's a little outside your budget, but consider saving a little longer or doing some extra chores so you can get a pretty hot gaming rig. Aside from the performance advantages, it's an unlocked processor, so you could, someday, if you want, and as your budget allows, add an external cooler and overclock. Similarly, the 750w supply will allow you some room (up to a total system load of 500w, maybe 550w) to upgrade your GPU in the future if you so desire, though the GTX650 is a decent GPU as is.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a really good gaming computer but, I would like to just get a computer that could run the few thing I do which is pretty much Trainz, Minecraft, Unity 3d, Angry Birds, and Bad Piggies and a few other things here and there so really all I need is something at the minimum requirements of Trainz 2012 so when I upgrade from Trainz 2009 I will know it will run.

Trainz 2012 minimum requirements, no way will that run a decent route. You must aim for recommended specs at least. A fast dual core cpu @ 3gig and an nvidea 460gt/gtx, 4 g ram is a good starting point. 09 will run very well and 12 ok.
Anything less you'll be on here moaning about stuttering game play, and you'll end up spending more money upgrading.

My computer only cost $510 including shipping: Walmart. iBuypower Intel i3 @3220, ASRock mobo, 8gig of DDR3 RAM, 500g HDD, nVidia GT610 1GB. There is PLENTY of room for expansion. I am planning on upgrading to a GTX 650 2GB card later this month (birthday is the 23rd if anybody wants to send me a card with cash in it). I run TS12 on mine and am satisfied with the performance I get now. More graphics will be a big plus. I consider mine a good priced starting point that is certainly better then my old 5 year old laptop.
Just my $.02

Back