Thinking about using Gmax...

tdstaylor

needs more caffeine!!!!
After a while of debating, I think I want to give Gmax/Content creation a try. BUT! Before I download Gmax, I want to know from those who have used it. 1. Could a 14 year old with a vast imagination, but limited math skills do this? 2. Do I need anything I have to pay for to make trains for Trainz or MSTS? 3. Where can I find the BEST tutorials for making trains in Gmax? 4. Would I have to make my own engine configs/smoke effects etc, or can I copy them from another loco? Thanks ahead of time! :wave:

Last edited:
Hi
Answers
  1. My 12 year old Grand-Daughter uses it. Annoyingly sometimes, because I can't get her off my computer.:)
  2. Only if you want to use pay-ware textures ETC. Otherwise no.
  3. There are quite a few around, each with its own merits. For starters I would try Turbo Squid, the same site where you can also download Gmax.
  4. Not sure about this one, but I'm sure that you would need the original authors permission, which usually needs some sort of licence agreement between all parties.
It has a very steep learning curve, and even long-time users still argue about methods of use (see other post's), but if you look through the Forum you will find a wealth of information, and, you can always ask;)
Hope I've been of some help
Cheers
Pete

Yes a 14 year old can get the hold of it. If you have taken drafting in school it is almost like 3d Auto Cad. Im 16 and use Gmax.:D
Dusten

To get started in G-max, I recommend Gary's Trainz Pages.
http://www.worldoftrainz-downloads.com/~garyp/gmaxtutorials.htm
I was never able to get the brick box tutorial to work. If you have too much trouble with it, skip to the next one and continue on.
Tafweb's tutorials are also exceptionally good for beginners.
http://tafweb-trainz.co.uk/tutorials.html
There's a lot of good techniques in these.
Once you get a handle on these and can make nice looking buiildings, you'll be ready to move on to more complicated projects like railcars and locomotives. The advantage of being 14 is that you can devote more time to it than older people who have to juggle an 8 hour job and tending to real life. You should be able to pick it up fairly quickly.

:cool: Claude

Well, now I got a problem. I get an error message on starting and can't use Gmax! :'( "Interactive 3D rendered failed. Please check your device settings using the -H command line option." :'( I'm using Vista, does that have anything to do with it? And if all else fails, is there another free program out there?

Last edited:
Well, I got the model making and texturing thing down.... Now I don't know where to export the model! :eek: I was using Gary's tutorial, but it was written for UTC/SP3. I'm using 06, and the folders are completely different... Where do I put the model??? :'(
:mop:

Well, I've chosen my 1st project... (Don't expect anything big here....) The engine in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu1X2-Tc_7U The smaller loco, BTW. Since it's a very small loco, there won't be much detail... Anyway, I just want to know what parts of the loco to start with, what height to put 'em at, what measurement (Metric or English) to use, how to make a wheel.... etc...

Last edited:
Suggest you find Paul Hobbs Gmax tutorials if you wish to create your own loco. Absolutely brilliant.
Blue;) ;) ;)

Engines are pretty difficult to make. Starting in G-max by making a locomotive is like starting in woodworking by building a Luis XIV dresser. It can be done, but it's best to develop the basics first. Try the tutorials already provided to get a feel for how it works and how to import the finished items into Trainz.
Then try the Simple Loco Tutorial. http://publish.uwo.ca/~gerard/trainz/tutorials/ Work up some good textures for an engine you'd like and modify the tutorial to accomodate your project. Maybe a Silverfish Streamliner.:D
World of Trainz has a world of tutorials on almost every aspect of train construction. http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials.htm
Paul Hobbs has a full tutorial for making a simple 6 wheel tank locomotive.
http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk/ Check out his Hints and Tips section.
The forum has a section on content creation help. Don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you get stuck. We've all been through it and seen most of what can go wrong.

Hi
As other's have said, jumping straight in the deep end is not recommended. I've seen many threads where people have given up in frustration simply because they have taken this route.
Be patient, start simple and gradually progress to the complicated.
Even after many years you will come across a situation where you don't know the best way to do something, and that's where the Forum comes in very handy.
Cheers
Pete

Yeah, I think I'll put off the trains for a while.... Unfortunantly, I've run into a few minor issues... All these tutorials are old and were written for SP3 or UTC and the tutorials refer to folders that aren't in 06, so I don't know where to export my models! And another thing... What is this "Trainz Asset Creating Studio" I keep hearing about and where can I get it? :eek:

... And another thing... What is this "Trainz Asset Creating Studio" I keep hearing about and where can I get it? :eek:
Trainz Asset Creation Studio is a shell that acts as an interface between G-max and Trainz. When you open the TACS you can create in G-max and export the finished items directly into Trainz. The Paul Hobbs tutorial can help you do the files for TRS06. I got it here: http://www.auran.com/trainz/contentcreation.htm
Follow the instructions carefully to get the environment that allows G-max to talk to Trainz.
You should always create your new content in the creation studio.

Mike: Do you mean greater in a mathematical sense, or as a philosophical exercise in existential truth?:hehe:

Well, I got the model making and texturing thing down.... Now I don't know where to export the model! :eek: I was using Gary's tutorial, but it was written for UTC/SP3. I'm using 06, and the folders are completely different... Where do I put the model??? :'(
:mop:

HI what i have done for 06 is have a folder in C/Gmax called IMPORTS for 06 this folder is where i make new folders for each item i make once done i then open CMP and click file/ import content then i direct it to that folder and import it to CMP then comit it.
BUT you need Trainz Asset Creation Studio to export your models as a IM file so TRS can see it.
I hope that helps you out a bit

I'm doing pretty good with that loco. I'll probably just make it a scenery object to start with, then make it a full blown engine... If someone could please tell me how to take a screenshot in Gmax, I'll show you the progress! ;) Oh, and 144.47 is the greater number.... LOL :p

To take a screenshot in G-Max, use the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This will save the image to the clipboard, which can be found in the program lists under "accessories/system tools/clipboard viewer".
I usually "save as" that image into My Documents, then open it with a graphic program like Photoshop or PhotoFiltre and edit it and convert it to .jpg.

Back