the stuf in the fowler 4f

ewses

i was realy desprate to know thease things ok : what happnes when the water in the tube reaches 0%, nothing happnes when i put coal in the boiler, how can i get more water in my tank, what does the sanding leaver do?, what does the cylinder drain do? so mush im out of breath wow.
:udrool: :mop: :sleep:

When the water in the tube reaches 0%, your firebox melts.
You can put more water in the tank, by going to a steam filling station.
The sanding lever puts sand on the rail to increase traction.
The cylinder drain drains water from the cylinders, failure to do this can result in a bent rod or worse.

I am pretty sure that there are tutorials on how to drive a steam loco, but not sure where they are.

Hi ewses

Try reading the guide 'Driving the 9F' found here: http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/

Cheers

Ron

When you go to the above site, on the left had side you will see GUIDES. Click on GUIDES and as Ron says, click on the Tutorial for "Driving the 9F".
You can download it and I would recommend you print it out. (6 pages). It has a picture of the CAB that shows you what each lever is called.
The two nob's (live steam injector water spindles) on the far right hand side of the cab allow you to inject more water into your boiler...
To put more coal in your fire box, open the fire box door and click on the space bar key to shovel in more coal. (The more you tab on the space bar, the more coal you shovel into the fire box)...
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Mac.

Last edited:
i let the water in the tube go down and nothing happned & i keped adding coal. i thaught the whole loco whoud go BOOOOOMM

"E-boilers"

That is just the advantage of working with what I call an "E-boiler", in other words it is an electronic simulation and you don't have to live (or die) with your mistakes. The lack of results for a low water incident (insufficient water to cool the crown-sheet [top of the firebox]) is on the same level as the lack of a detailed collision system in Trainz, it appears that Auran didn't feel it was necessary. As the majority of the users of this program probably have no real life experience with a boiler of this size it is probably wise of Auran to let them "get away with" having a low water incident. This allows people with no experience with steam systems to enjoy steam locomotives in the game without forcing them to learn how to operate a boiler.

I suppose it would be possible to create a rule to immediately terminate your driving session if the locomotive you are "on" has met the requirements for a low water incident. A low water incident does not always result in a crown-sheet explosion; however the safety systems involved can fail, alternatively there may not be sufficient water on top of the crown-sheet to douse the fire in the event the fusible plugs melt. In any event the locomotive will be rendered useless until the damage is repaired, if that is possible. If a low water incident results in a crown-sheet explosion the crew will not be around to help with subsequent tasks.

If you are really interested in learning more about boilers it is certainly possible to do so as there are many resources available to do so. Learning about how a steam locomotive works is some what harder as it is a more specialized field of study, in addition it is not an area of great demand. However it is possible to find materials about the subject.

tanks for that. it whould be good in trainz 2009 that you had to start up a steam locomotive form scratch :D

what you mean sit around for 6 hours (a figure I seem to remember from somewhere for a cold start, although I think that would be longer :S ). Believe me, you wouldn't want to sit around waiting for a loco to raise steam from '0'. It takes about 3-4 hours for one of the small 2-6-2 tank locos at my local tourist railway to raise steam to 'train ready' time. I do remember a long while back the creator 'marlboro' created a script that allowed you to do this, but he did say it was also extremely boring. Probably because there are only a handful of things you can do in game. Adjust the blower, add 'fuel' (you start the fire in a loco with wood, then add coal once it is hot enough), and add water as needed. You can't get out and oil the bearings, or anything else for that matter... Basically you would sit at the computer for 3-4 hours doing absolutely nothing except adding fuel, and adjust a couple of controls every little while :eek:

I myself would like to see loco start up/shutdown, and fuel consumption, for diesels to be implemented into the code. That would makes it ore enjoyable, and bring diesels up to a similar level to steamers without custom scripting... But I don't think this is likely for TS09, since they aren't adding anymore new features...

Zec

Back