The Motherload of Model Railroad Building, Planning, detailing and operating reference Information

caroper

Have fun, not sure how long it will last but all are legal and downloadable as PDF from the viewer.

To get you started on the archived material this is from page 80

Model Railroader, January 1934

The first issue.

Most of the Special issues of all 4 magazines look to be in there too but nothing is indexed or sechable from what I can see so explore away and treat it as a treasure hunt ;):D.

Cheers
Chris

P.S. If you see a broken Graphic Icon click it to open the content, only the cover image is missing the reader and the save to PDF buttons still work perfectly.

Last edited:
I just had a look. Many of the archive pages are empty.
The second link you provided, page 80 is already empty.

Rico

Rico, if you scroll down page 80 it has links to the early issues, but none of those links I tried actually brought anything up, except a message that says "Get Updates".

Interesting, the do not use pages are obviously place holders, as they have only just started populating it, but all of the other pages have documents in them.

thus is what I see on page 80:

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

DO NOT USE

[…]

Model Railroader, January 1934

[…]

Model Railroader, February 1934

[…]

Model Railroader, March 1934

[…]

Model Railroader, April 1934

[…]

Model Railroader, May 1934

All of those links take me to valid documents, apart from the do not use links.

I did note above that you may see a broken image Icon but the link still works, click the Icon and wait a while for the document player to load, it will display a turning circle for a while as it does so, and it will then show the the first page.

Click on that and you can read the document online or save to PDF.

I Already have most of the stuff in bound Print, going back to issue one, and via Digital subscription since it started, but having access to any copy online whilst traveling may be useful.

Cheers
Chris

The downloadable items are just in the first twenty or so pages. This is obviously a work in progress project that someone got the permissions on the webpages wrong and made them public. Oops. That being said I did grab the digital versions of Model Railroad Planning and Great Model Railroads. I have the print editions and was toying with the idea of scanning them myself. I already have the back catalog of MR magazine on DVD. I wonder how Kalmbach are doing business wise these days. I dropped my subscription for MR back in 2017 when the price kept going up and the magazine kept getting thinner and thinner.

Ah, you are right, the broken link image does work. They just haven't posted the thumbnail yet. I'm not going to download the old ones as I have them already on DVD and in many cases in print too.

The downloadable items are just in the first twenty or so pages.
Wrong, here is Page 247, the last two items are:

Trains, October 2019
[…]

Trains, September 2019
[…]

the files are not in chronological order so like I said, it is a treasure hunt, you can also try searching:

I find that:
site:trains.com "r3d" Railroader

Brings up a reasonable index of Model Railroader magazines.

Yeah, I know. Read my next post. I was writing the first post while you posted the part about clicking on the broken link icon. Everything is cool. I'm going to go through and find the ones from 2010 to as late as possible so I have digital copies of my print versions.

No broken icon for me. I tried 3 different browsers and all I get is "Stay Updated". That's OK. I really was just curious to see what the first issue looked like back in 1934,

I've got some of the issues from 1934. They were smaller than you would expect. Only about 6 x 9 inches. Then they got much bigger in the 50s being about 10 x 13 inches. Once they started printing on glossy paper they standardize on the current size in the sixties.

Thank you for the links to these. I used to be a subscriber but stopped in 2017 due to the same reasons Wreeder did, besides the text is so small on the printed version that I have a difficult time now reading the printed pages.

Yes, that is a subscription service for which you must pay. For anyone who is sad that the "back door" (hopefuly) is found and closed... do you also steal from your local merchant when their back is turned? Just wondering...

Yes, that is a subscription service for which you must pay. For anyone who is sad that the "back door" (hopefuly) is found and closed... do you also steal from your local merchant when their back is turned? Just wondering...
I have every issue, including the first, ever published in print in bound volumes, I also have every issue in PDF Format purchased from trains .com as digital archives. The same goes for the special issues.

I did try the digital Subscription but canceled it as I have already purchased every issue that they have made available, twice already, in both print and digital format, plus I have purchased several special issues that they have excluded from the subscription.

As I am now being asked to pay for them again, for the third time as online access I was pleased to see that they had opened it up.
If as a result of my post they realised their error and locked it down then I did them a service, if they opened it as a free trial period which I promoted then I also did them a service.

What I do not understand is why we should not be allowed to look at the goods that we have already purchased, 2 or 3 times, from your mythical local merchant.

I hope that puts your mind at ease and gives you something else to wonder about...

and one final observation - The search string I posted above (https://forums.auran.com/threads/th...ing-reference-information.177515/post-2013876) is actually still working via Google :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back