The most "harmful" assets

That is interesting. If your tests are reproducible, you should tell N3V about it and maybe they will make it a fault (or a warning) in the next trainz build. Perhaps submit a Helpdesk ticket describing your test and its results so N3V can verify it.

Does the fbx effect also happen in “stand alone” assets where all the mesh files are directly accessed, not referenced?

Just a thought, but one other thing that I have always wanted is the ability to right-click assets while still on the DLS and select "List dependencies". Then I would not only be able to see if it has unknowns, but also if any of the dependencies are oversized. Sometimes I have been surprised by what looks like a quick download taking forever because it ends up having a huge dependency. Of course, recent libraries can be giants, but they often are something else I did not expect. Not a problem for those with permanent FCTs, I suspect.
This. Being able to right click and find deps while still on the DLS would be AMAZING.

That is interesting. If your tests are reproducible, you should tell N3V about it and maybe they will make it a fault (or a warning) in the next trainz build. Perhaps submit a Helpdesk ticket describing your test and its results so N3V can verify it.

Does the fbx effect also happen in “stand alone” assets where all the mesh files are directly accessed, not referenced?

Hello Deane,

For standalone assets I see the same impact - so I say yes, but measuring FBX it depends on the complexity of the model and the number of mesh components, however the filesize instantly change to user-friendly...
Assets that use mesh libraries like comparing the speed of a snail and the racehorse...
Opening ticket - I never receive any response/reaction. :( I consider...

Krisz

I remember an older version of cm had a window you placed an asset in and it gave you a list of all its dependencies before you downloaded the asset. It was great for routes because you could see all the dependencies that weren't on the download station. If there was large number I wouldn't bother downloading the route.

Rob

I've recently (well, over the past year and a half)been making steel mill assets. It's a first for me and Trainz as far as highly detailed newer models go. I've tried my best to implement LOD (5 levels) and keep materials down to a minimum. It's tough but part of the art of asset creation. K.I.S.S. You have to draw the line and finish the work at some point though.

I remember an older version of cm had a window you placed an asset in and it gave you a list of all its dependencies before you downloaded the asset.

My memory must be failing me (or its a sign that it is time to move up to a better quality red wine) but I don't recall ever seeing that.

Me either, as I pointed out above that function was part of the DLS website and the Download Helper. Now, you can choose to download an asset like a route using the Download this Version command and CM will download just the asset without any dependencies being automatically downloaded. You then choose to use the show dependencies command to see the list from which you can download at your leisure.

Now, you can choose to download an asset like a route using the Download this Version command and CM will download just the asset without any dependencies being automatically downloaded.

Unfortunately that is not correct. "Download this version" will download the selected asset version, which may be obsoleted by a newer version either installed on your system or on the DLS. It will be downloaded WITH all its dependencies (I just tested it to confirm). While selecting "Download" will always force CM to download the latest available asset version (with all its dependencies) even if the asset you had selected is an earlier and now obsoleted version.

See https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki...ng_the_Latest_or_an_Older_Version_of_an_Asset

Back