The list Model Train Tips

FlyingScottmond

Rural Haul layout-1%
Hiya all! I want to compile a massive thread of all your model train tips!
I have had a table-tennis sized HO layout going for a year now but it is extremely incomplete.

I am one of four model railroads in my town, Maryborough, and sadly, it is lagging behind.
The other three are:
A HO at my hobby store.
A G in my park that you are allowed to ride on the back of.
And an unknown scale at the museum.

Quite frankly, I don't like being the worst in town(The only model Im better than is my friends war models) and Id like some tips from you guys.

PS. If it helps, Im only 12.

If you don't use facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5899&id=100000489139625&l=ee25484812

If you do: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5899&id=100000489139625&saved

Last edited:
Well, what do have left to finish on the layout? (That way we know what tips to give)
Well, I can tell you what I have but not what to finish. Most layouts die still saying 'work in progress' because people keep adding on to it.

I will also get in a few pics.

Last edited:
Ah, nice little (or do the pictures deceive me?:eek: ) layout you got there. All on the floor I asome? I thought you were meaning one that was built more like...

Heck Ill just show you what I thought you were doing

Thats my layout as of one year ago. Since then scenary wise nothing else but all track is in (For now) and we are finishing up the DCC

Ah, nice little (or do the pictures deceive me?:eek: ) layout you got there. All on the floor I asome?

Yes, your eyes deceive you, it is actually mounted on a table, with a bit of frame work to create a gap between table and board to put stuff in.
As for the aerial shot, I actually sprouted wings like an angels.:p

mm

You have a Kato controller but dont have kata track ?? infact you have OO

I have kato layout in N guage with all the track , signals powered points etc ..

all in kit form mmm

Would the controller have enough power for OO??

One tip from me is,

I used to selotape my track down instead of pinning it down, it saved me a lot of track, as I didn't have to fight to get the pins out, and if I wanted to move the track to fit more track in, I could, just by lifting the track up, if the selotape failed, then I'd replace it with new, once the track was set up right, and the gravel was added and set on the top, you wouldn't see the selotape.

I used to do the above, so it could then give me more options and save me a fortune, so when I got bored of the route, I'd lift all the track up, then I'd get a piece of cardboard and scrape accross the board, dragging all my gravel into a bucket, so I could re-use the gravel and the track again.

Hope this helps

Joe Airtime

P.S - I use Trainz 2010 now, as were I live is far too small to set up a layout, and funding model railways has become a joke with the rising costs.

I'm hoping to start work on my 1950's US model layout. I even treated myself to a $108 B&O E8 locomotive.

Back