The B&O Toledo Division

mp143

Hello all,

Since I have gotten Trainz back working in June, I have been able to start my dream model: building B&O's Toledo Division. This thread will include photos and updates on progress. Starting with a bit of history, the B&O Toledo Division was Baltimore and Ohio's main north-south mainline from Cincinnati to Toledo, Ohio. Starting out as the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad between Cincinnati & Dayton, OH, the CH&D gradually acquired more trackage before reaching Toledo in 1863. The Baltimore and Ohio acquired the CH&D in 1905, adding its trackage to the B&O's vast system in the east. The Toledo Division quickly became a vital north-south link in the B&O's system and continued to be a vital part of the B&O in the 50s and 60s, and into the 70s and 80s under Chessie System. In 1986, Chessie System was officially merged under the CSX banner. The line continues to prosper as CSX's Toledo Subdivision, sending automobiles, hot autoparts, and steel southward toward Cincinnati. Iron ore was also important to the line, coming from the Lake Erie docks in Toledo and heading south for steel mills in the Cincinnati and Middletown areas. It was also famous for its daily passenger train, "The Cincinnatian", between Detroit and Toledo. An important junction on the line was Deshler, Ohio. There, the B&O Toledo Division crossed the B&O Chicago Division at grade. The diamonds between the two B&O lines earned Deshler the nickname "The Crossroads of the B&O". Connections were built in 3 of the 4 quadrents of the junction, allowing traffic to turn west toward Chicago, IL and east to Akron, OH.

The section I'm modeling is between Lima and Toledo OH (known to the B&O as the Third Subdivision) in the late 1970s-early 1980s timeframe, when the line was at its peak and had plenty of character. One of the most identifiable characteristics of this B&O line was the widespread use of Color Position Light signals. The line was CTC'd and received CPLs in the early 1930s, controlled from DR Tower in Deshler, Ohio, and is widely accepted as one of the earliest CTC installations over an entire mainline in the United States. Along with the CPL masts, bracket posts, cantilevers, and bridges were common place. Even though Centralized Traffic Control had been installed, interlocking towers still remained where other railroads crossed at grade. In the late 70s, towers remained at Deshler (DR Tower @ B&O Chicago Division crossing), Leipsic Junction (RO Tower @ diamonds w/ N&Ws ex-NKP Cleveland-Chicago main), Columbus Grove (CG Tower @ diamond w/ Akron Canton & Youngstown), Lima (NS Tower @ Conrail's ex- PRR Fort Wayne Line diamonds), and Erie Junction (BY Tower @ diamonds with Conrail's ex-EL Refinery spur).

Along the colors of the B&O, C&O, Western Maryland, and Chessie, the Toledo Division saw Detroit Toledo & Ironton trackage rights trains between DT&I Junction (north of Lima) to XN (south of Leipsic), and N&W trackage rights trains between NS Tower and Erie Junction in Lima. Both the B&O and DT&I also ran run-through trains from the Southern Rwy in Cincinnati with Southern power. All these trains added even more variety to the line during the 70s and 80s. The route is currently undecorated and still under construction, and I'm not sure if I'll put it on the DLS or just use it for my own enjoyment.

EDIT: Screenshot problem fixed, will be posting more photos more often now that I'm not searching for an answer

Last edited:
Wow, cool project! I have always been a fan of Ohio railroading, especially during the late 30's - early 50's. Perhaps if you put it on the DLS, I could maybe alter it a bit to that timeframe. Are you going to include Toledo proper, as in the Union Station and the surrounding railyards?

Wow, cool project! I have always been a fan of Ohio railroading, especially during the late 30's - early 50's. Perhaps if you put it on the DLS, I could maybe alter it a bit to that timeframe. Are you going to include Toledo proper, as in the Union Station and the surrounding railyards?

I might, not sure just yet. Lima to Deshler is already down, and I'm gonna begin working north toward Perrysburg next. I have the track layouts in front of me, so I could easily continue north from Perrysburg later on.

Photos coming, need to get my stuff together and figure out how to first. lol :eek:

Last edited:
Very cool as I will be working on the Cincinnati side of the line. I plan on having Union Terminal, it's engine facilities,the Queensgate yards and the mainline up to Norwood.

Dave

Ok, so I finally figured out how to do this.... Is there a better way for it to not come out as fuzzy?

Regardless...7am on a sunny morning in 1980 finds B&O GP30 #6903 leading freshly painted Chessie System SD40-2 #7605 at BY Tower (Erie Junction) on a northbound caboose hop, about to cross the former Erie diamonds. The offices for the once bustling Lima Locomotive Works stand tall in the background. The former Erie (now owned by Conrail) continues into the refinery complex seen on the right, while the N&W veers to the southwest headed toward Muncie, IN.

Capture_zps01033f32.jpg

One of the many examples of CPLs on the Toledo Division seen here at the South end of Ottawa siding, with a Clear signal for an approaching northbound.. The mast, single head bracket post, and dwarf on the siding is one of the more common signal arrangements on this line. The track diverging to the left is DT&I's Ottawa Loop, which serves local industries on the south side of Ottawa.

409cac3805f8f6302d78117a728c3bcf.jpg

Last edited:
In this shot, Chessie and B&O EMDs command a heavy autorack/autoparts train south past CG Tower in Columbus Grove, OH. CG Tower guards the diamond with the Akron Canton and Youngstown RR, and is still manned in this 1980 view. Note the semaphore in the background on the AC&Y. The connection track here allows interchange between the AC&Y and the B&O/DT&I. The tower would eventually close a few years later. I'm currently just posting random photos, but I'll do a line tour here soon once I finish laying some more track.

7856e2352c1d87c2b632824bbfe61d09.jpg

Last edited:
There should be a download link right below the post that I mentioned. It's something like CPLs Beta, and the post is by NS37.

Three Chessie System geeps rest at the Lima engine shops, just north of NS Tower. While the main shop complex was demoted to just on the road repairs, the servicing racks were often a busy place during the 70s and 80s.

dde45cb56d7f44e9b2801d38ffdf8672.jpg

Last edited:
The Cpls off USLW do make a nice diffrence, I figured it would be appropriate to post these shots here...

Yes they do, finally found that set this evening. All smooth except for one signal missing a 3 dependencies (I think they're the HOTT coronas? Don't know where to find them) Still trying to figure out how to get some indications to work too (would love to see the lunar white in your above pic), but overall I am impressed.

More screenshots and a line tour coming soon!

Last edited:
Back