Surveyor precision...

peghorse

Hi! Does anyone know a way to place splines via traditional x,y,z 3d modelling methods?
Can it be done in the config file?
And what scale is our mesh? Eg: 1 square = just two placements? One on each edge?
Is that as accurate as we can get?

Hi! Does anyone know a way to place splines via traditional x,y,z 3d modelling methods?
Can it be done in the config file?
And what scale is our mesh? Eg: 1 square = just two placements? One on each edge?
Is that as accurate as we can get?

1) I don't know if you can get that kind of precision.

2) Don't know but see the longer note below.

3) The scale is:

10 x 10 m on a 720m^2 grid

or 5 x 5 on a 14,400m^2 grid (finer and eats up more resources)

Your height and width are in meters.

In the old days, before N3V changed the track files .(trk), there was information available on how they worked. CaddyLars, I think was his name, made a utility to import CAD/CAM drawings directly into the program. It was for his own personal use, but I remember him mentioning the utility. It's too bad this isn't available or usable now.

If you want to place track precisely, you can manually place the track using built-in rulers, which can be inches, feet, miles, or the equivalent metric.

John

Heres what I am attempting to do..
SplinePlace2.jpg

Its not easy lol..
SplinePlace1.jpg

Last edited:
and now I cant insert a second picture o.0 oops! logged back in and I have inserted maximum pics - deleted - sorry!
I can do the above but phew! Hard yakka

I was hoping that ten years on there might be some sort of pro editing option.
I looked in config of course, but nuuu..
I have looked in the trk file but it is formatted in jet speak I suppose.
Alternatively is there any way to force refresh the game engine when in surveyor?
Metinx we's needing full 64 bit implementation of Jet/TRS a.s.a.p

SplinePlace1.jpg
SplinePlace1.jpg

Last edited:
3) The scale is:

10 x 10 m on a 720m^2 grid

or 5 x 5 on a 14,400m^2 grid (finer and eats up more resources)

Surely using a 5m grid merely makes each grid square on the board smaller, not the board itself which remains at 720m square?

Ray

In the old days, before N3V changed the track files .(trk), there was information available on how they worked. CaddyLars, I think was his name, made a utility to import CAD/CAM drawings directly into the program. It was for his own personal use, but I remember him mentioning the utility. It's too bad this isn't available or usable now.

John
I'm not aware Lars had such a utility but there are lots of things out there I don't know. However I do know I did write one that works with TRS04 and 06 and I still use it with newer versions as noted below. The Cad2Trk program mentioned somewhere here near my avitar. It can convert line, circular arc, and polyline entities in a dxf file to a .trk file. Most all cad programs can export in this format. Precision matches the dxf file from the cad program - generally 6 - 10 decimal digits or more - extreme accuracy compared to Surveyor input. With 04 it can merge new track into an existing trk file. With 06 I seem to recall there are some restrictions. With newer versions of Trainz you can only use the trk file created by the program as a starting one (or replace an existing one).

Transdem, a 3rd party payware program for terrain work, has the abitity to read vector data and generate a .trk file. I don't know all the limitations with it. I think it works with polyline data but doesn't support arc entities or manage the straighten flag in the Trainz track spline like mine - at least I think. It also works with all versions of Trainz (unlike mine). You should investigate it further if you're really interested.

Bob Pearson

I'm not aware Lars had such a utility but there are lots of things out there I don't know. However I do know I did write one that works with TRS04 and 06 and I still use it with newer versions as noted below. The Cad2Trk program mentioned somewhere here near my avitar. It can convert line, circular arc, and polyline entities in a dxf file to a .trk file. Most all cad programs can export in this format. Precision matches the dxf file from the cad program - generally 6 - 10 decimal digits or more - extreme accuracy compared to Surveyor input. With 04 it can merge new track into an existing trk file. With 06 I seem to recall there are some restrictions. With newer versions of Trainz you can only use the trk file created by the program as a starting one (or replace an existing one).

Transdem, a 3rd party payware program for terrain work, has the abitity to read vector data and generate a .trk file. I don't know all the limitations with it. I think it works with polyline data but doesn't support arc entities or manage the straighten flag in the Trainz track spline like mine - at least I think. It also works with all versions of Trainz (unlike mine). You should investigate it further if you're really interested.

Bob Pearson

Sorry Bob, for the wrong attribution. You are the one that wrote the program, not Lars! I was thinking CAD and thought in my every-aging brain that he had written the application.

Thank you for jumping in and clarifying this error!

I wonder if you could export this data into something that TransDem could read easily, and the export/import tool doesn't cost as much as a new computer!

John

Back