Survey: More time in Surveyor or Drive? (Updated Weekly)

FlyingScottmond

Rural Haul layout-1%
I just was thinking of words that could describe a water pipe that leads out to sea, when I thought, "I'm gonna make this route great and when I get the new computer, It's going straight to DLS."
But I also thought "Will people actually use it"?

So then I set up this thread, then typed the above, then as I am typing this part, I start thinking about the typing done in the near future where I ask this question the Trainzers who are reading this very statement...............

Confusing riddles aside.

Is more time spent making routes and content or is most of the time spent actually enjoying it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Featured voters:
Steveo241, an amazing route was submitted along side of his vote.
tp://forums.auran.com/trainz/showp...postcount=8820

_________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: The votes are not in order of submission.

Undecided:

1. Steveo241
2. AJ_Fox

Last edited:
Votes that say content MAKING is done more

Making:

1. Haloscott3 (FlyingScottmond)
2. Ronayne
3. Lewisscc65
4. on30gn15 (I think, his answer was a slight bit obscure)
5. JJDella
6. UP5521
7. jhatchman
8. bl4882
9. mezzoprezzo
10. IsambardKingdomBrunel
11. durhamlass

Last edited:
I use surveyor mode most of the time. I like creating AI sessions, then use driver mode to check them out. Once done it is back to surveyor mode on another route. Carl

Is more time spent making routes and content or is most of the time spent actually enjoying it?

The answer to that question is,
yes.

Question's wording sounds like it is predicated on making routes and content not being part of the enjoyment of Trainz.

I come to Trainz from many years in the metal, wood, and plastic, model railroad world where there are many people with many different ways of enjoying the hobby.
Making, running operations, researching, writing, carpentry, electronics, electrical, scenery, photography, gardening if doing outdoor railroads, collecting: some part or another will be the main one from which the do-er derives special enjoyment within overall enjoyment of the whole.

And which is what might change over time too.

And it might be different in the electronic and the smelly, greasy, worlds too.

In the 3d world I like kitbashing cars and structures and running switching style layouts.
In Trainz I like making scenery and 'taking cab-ride railtours' through it.
At least for right now.
Am working on some long-haul and some switching style layouts, and that hints that operating will come.

But at the moment trying different scenic treatments is mainly where my fun comes from.
Probably a result of being fairly new at this, cross referenced with my love of making things and lack of knowledge and ability to make rolling stock and structures in the electronic world.

What I can do is try all the different scenery ideas space time and money don't allow in stuff you can feel in your hands.

My wife likes and does model trains too, and has railroaders in her family, so she's receiving from me her own copy of TRAINZ in the immediate future :D
(Keep yer hands off my layouts, lady!)

My Dad has had Trainz for several years now and got me a copy last year. He is into setting up operations with AI, and schedules and all - which naturally follows from what he did for a living.
(or did what he did for a living naturally follow from his talent for that?)
Scenery art is not in his bag of talents.
It is mine, and I still am getting lost in the complexities of AI and triggers and all.
He lives a couple hours away but perhaps we can figure out a way to do long-distance collaboration?
Next time parents come to visit Dad has asked me to give a "scenery clinic".

Last edited:
on30gn15, My question was to make people think twice about downloading content, because some people have something like 12GB of custom content from the DLS and only a tiny fraction of it is used.

It is basically like a 15-yr old girl on facebook, they have 1000+ friends and most of them they have never met before in their entire life.

Steveo241! That is a spectacular route already! I was almost fooled into think one of the trainz were real and I was stunned by the sheer vastness of it all.

I'm putting a link up the top and adding a 'undecided' vote.

on30gn15, My question was to make people think twice about downloading content, because some people have something like 12GB of custom content from the DLS and only a tiny fraction of it is used.

It is basically like a 15-yr old girl on facebook, they have 1000+ friends and most of them they have never met before in their entire life.
Not necessary so, there are quit a few of us that like to splice a lot of similar routs together to make one massive layout, and for this you need every map you can get your hands on.
So you can play the game more like a traffic controller, than a driver.

well,alot of my time is spent building,the only time I drive is to test it,if I don't like what I done on it.I simply delete it and start again!;)

Last edited:
I use surveyor mode most of the time. as I spend a lot time building or modifying routes. I create AI sessions then use driver mode to check them out. If I download a new route, I will use driver mode to check it out.

Jeff

I'm with On30gn15 and spend by far most of my time in Surveyor.

I also come from the world of tangible model railroading. That is no longer practical for me, but I still get a hint of the odor of sal ammoniac in contact with a hot iron when I'm laying a switch in Surveyor. And no burns. :)

Bernie

I too come from the traps and expensive tangles of those tiny little HO scale men, I have a table-sized layout, but being 13, I can't legally get a paying job.............. or anything that is worthwhile.................

Hi all,

Surveyor for me most of the time.

The driving side, for me, gets boring after a bit. I much prefer the creative part.

I do drive, but usually only to view the result of placed assets with all of the on screen atmosphere. Birdsong, rolling stock, passenger sounds, traffic noise etc.

Problem is that some sections of some of my routes are so stuffed up with huge numbers of assets that Driver stutters too much.

Surveyor is the best choice for screenshots too.

Now, if only we could have the local sound playing with screenshots....

Cheers
Casper
:)

...but being 13, I can't legally get a paying job.............. or anything that is worthwhile.................

Get experience, it will be worthwhile.
Get knowledge, it will be worthwhile.
Get understanding, it will be worthwhile.

Try what you are able to in each of the 3d and electronic realms.
Example is try scratchbuilding HO, O, G, N, or any scale, some simple structures.
Card, balsa, sheet styrene, plus scrounged and found materials can do wonders.
Takes time to develop skill, but it is mostly the mental ingenuity which is the benefit.

Read on layout planning and on prototype operations.
Especially things about why RRs lay track the way they do.
That will help in TRAINZ too.
Here in US, Kalmbach and Carstens publish books on that kind of thing along with their modeling magazines.

Read about urban planning.

Might be some things useful found in here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/ under
Infrastructure and Mobility (217 Viewing)
» bridges | airports | subways and urban transport | railways | maritime | highways & autobahns

Try to find from railway histories the why of decisions railways made in routing tracks here and not there.

and that's the end of what the brain is good for after a long night.

later,
FSW

I spend virtually all of the time in Surveyor. When I do drive, it's usually via Quick Drive to test signalling, hunt for missing point levers, do screenshots etc.

Once again I congratulate Steveo241 for his absolutely entrancing route pictures, I would beleive that to now be a continual inspiration to me.:D

And thank you on30gn15 for the great advice I will take the advice well.

Last edited:
Back