Sunset Limited East of NOL?

kmothersil

I got a couple of questions about this. Now say that they do restore the Sunset to it's transcontiental status (We will find out July 17th about the fate of the Sunset and the eastern portion of the route.), than how many sets would be needed to make it daily from LA-ORL? Would they be able to make it possibly go to Miami? Is their any chance they might reopen the Phoenix station in Arizona? Thank you to those who respond to this.

If they don't reinstate it, I'll be ticked off... I'll have to take the SWC from LAX to CHI and then take the LSL from CHI to NYP and then take the SM from NYP to TPA next year when I go on my Transcont'l trip. Anyways, I read on the Trains4America website/blog, that they want to reinstate services to Orlando and also extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando as well...

i have heard of the extension of the City of New Orleans to Orlando, but i just thought that was someone being very wishful. not that i wouldnt love to see that. i would definitely travel by train more. i am really upset that i cannot get form New Orleans to Florida right now.

I know how you feel and the US has no transcontiental passenger service at all. Via Rail's Canadian is currently the only operating transcontiental passenger train in America. I bet probably 40 years ago that wasn't the case. I would like to travel from Orlando(or Winter Park) to Los Angeles.

...No way Jose!

also extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando as well...
Sorry, but the Illinois Central didn't go to Orlando, thus it should not be called the City of New Orleans.
I would rather they renamed it than run it on a route untrue to it's heritage.

I have also heard that instead of going thru San Antonio, Texas like the route used too, they are going out of Houston, to Dallas then to El Paso then on to the West Coast. If they do this, it will run about 3 blocks from my house in Abilene, Texas. Might get some great shots to post!!

The sunset Limited still goes through San Antonio, Tx., then west to Ca. from New Orleans and Houston. The Texas Eagle comes West from Ca. to San Antonio then go's north from San Antonio to Dallas then east to Longview Tx before turning north to Chicago. I just got off of the Texas Eagle yesterday in Longview Tx. from LA Ca.. Took 49 Hrs. to make the trip.

The Texas Eagle and the Sunset limited are acually conbined into one train from LA., Ca. to San Antonio and then are seperated at San Antonio into two seperate trains for the seperate destinations as I described above.

Damn I wondered why that train I was on smelled like swamp water!!!:eek:
I was on car #34026 though thank god.

Everyone try to remember that 34098 was in the water during the Susnet Limited disaster in 1993, that you know. Man good thing I only reserve coaches.

Well guys there's only a few days left before we find out what happens with the Sunset Limited's route east of New Orleans. 1.They'll extend the train to Orlando
2.Extend the City of New Orleans
3.A brand new train

Back