Stumped by slide show - 2-3 FPS.

SHOPlanB

Hi all again. I come once again seeking the knowledge and wisdom of the community. After countless hours of creating, I finally decided to do some "alpha" testing on the route. BIG alpha testing. I slapped down close to 300 cars (if not more) and all are LARS compatible or built in. I'm using the BNSF, ATSF, and UP stock engines also. Now, in the 2 yards, its an absolute slide show. And outside of the yards even where's there's nothing (gray grid area), its still a slide show. Currently I believe there are around 28 AI drivers (Which I suspect may be taxing the system even with the horsepower I have under the hood). Would this be correct? Or would it be having that many cars around each other that is taxing the video card? For the hardware enthusiasts the sig has my specs and for grins and giggles here's the display settings : 1650 X 1050 both on desktop and in game. AA is set to 2 via Trainz (tried turning it off in the Nvidia control panel and that dog isn't gonna hunt. I got tired just looking at all those stairs). Using DX9 (which I would assume is better than Open GL from a performance stand point) via Trainz options. Current display drivers are quite old, I think the 262 series. Updating those is definatly an option (I had to install the 262's for an older game that didn't play nice with the newest drivers from Nvidia).

I'm aware I have several high poly items on the route, but I have those spaced out big time (rough guess is 1 high poly count item for a 20 X 20 panel grid @ 5000m). Removal of those is also an option. Any suggestions other than manning a nebelwerfer and having a go with the route would be greatly appreciated.

After removing a few blocks of cars including a suspect hopper, the problem cleared up. No more slide show in Surveyor or while driving. Sorry to bother everyone. I should have done that first THEN came here if it didnt work.

No problem. This a great point to bring up in the forums since it's something that someone else may ask for in the future and now we have a reference.

One of the other things too to watch out for are tweaks to your video card. I did that one day and forgot about what I did. Later on I was in Trainz and everything became a slideshow. I spent hours looking for the culprit, deleting buildings, redoing track, etc. (The end result wasn't bad, but it didn't solve the problem). When I was just about ready to ditch that section of my route, it dawned on me what I did. Sure enough the tweak in the settings had "fixed" Trainz alright. A click on that dialog box and everything was back to normal. This was one of the anti-alias settings and something to do with edge-detection which Trainz doesn't like.

John

Edge detection?
Thats a new one on me. Care to expand on that please and what Nv settings for AA do you have?

Edge detection?
Thats a new one on me. Care to expand on that please and what Nv settings for AA do you have?

Deano,

This was on the control panel for my video card - an ATI6970. Like NVidia ATI (AMD) has a ton of little tweaks with some esoteric descriptions about how they work. I clicked on this one thinking it would add to my performace like it said it would - NOT!

What it really does, I don't know and I haven't bothered to find out.

John

Back