station signalling

Thanks ... for some not so clear comments to me.
It goes to far and I'm not comfortable yet with the non standard ops of the game.
So for the time being I'll start with the explanation of PWARE, which seems the easiest to understand.

Did we confuse you with too much technical detail and less-than-entirely-relevant messages? I`m sorry; that`s not what was intended. It is always difficult to estimate the technical abilities of an unfamiliar "new-to-me" person, and we appear to have over-estimated yours. I agree, @pware has posted the easiest-to-understand suggestion. It should work.

I played around with trs2004 and was quite happy then with the game. In the mean time, there a lot of new features to discover and not all the manuals are that simple to understand, if they even exist. Sometimes video on other subject gives answers.
I'm also struggling with the new ATLS-slave to be able to open/close both barriers on a double track. Only one side closes when the train comes near and doesn't open again when the train passed by.

What? You mean that some manuals DO exist? Where can I find them?

Just kidding, well, half-kidding. I too started with Trainz2004, and yes, there are a LOT of new features since my Trainz 2009/2010 days, and most of them are barely described anywhere, but if you can teach yourself to read GameScript, the language that Trainz scripting is written in, you can learn a LOT from reading the include files. The include files are also a good place to learn GameScript, as some of them have more commentary than code. Other include files have almost no commentary, but can still teach you a lot, once you`ve learned to read them. I strongly recommend reading them, as they are going to be the first place (and indeed the only place that I know of) that new features that affect scripting are guaranteed to be mentioned. For anyone who wants to find them but doesn`t know where: They are in the Trainz install directory, inside a subdirectory named resources/scripts.

I played around with trs2004 and was quite happy then with the game. In the mean time, there a lot of new features to discover and not all the manuals are that simple to understand, if they even exist. Sometimes video on other subject gives answers.
I'm also struggling with the new ATLS-slave to be able to open/close both barriers on a double track. Only one side closes when the train comes near and doesn't open again when the train passed by.
Start a new thread on the ATLS problem you are having. We can help you with that. For two lines, use the TRS19 Slave and trigger system, the old-method actually, and that works fine.

@JCitron I'm sorry, you're right.
At the other hand, it was not immediately meant to get a reaction, more as a statement there are more issues; if I have to open a thread on every question I have nowadays, the forum will be double on number of items.

The game isn't as intuitive as it was in the beginning and with all the extras and accessories that have come since my starting days, I might need some time to discover by trial and error... So I hope that the old surveyor stays some time and give me the possibility to return to it when surveyor 2.0 doesn't do what I want.

Thanks anyway for the hint. The reason I was trying to use the new slave <kuid2:76656:500040:4>, is because it was mentioned in the detail screen of the old version. So I installed and used it, but it doesn't wok the same way and I don't get the reason and don't understand the new way of use. Also the explanation on the "Boat'z ATLS Page" is very little and not useful at all.

Fair enough, and understood. How fast would it grow if everyone opened a new thread to discuss each and every little issue that crops up? We wouldn`t be able to keep up with reading the titles of all the new threads, let alone keep up with their contents.

We`re all still learning. Trial-and-error may usually be the best teacher, but it often isn`t the fastest. Many of us are still using Surveyor Classic. I have tried the new Surveyor, but I haven`t learned how to do much of anything with it yet.
...it doesn't wok the same way and I don't get the reason and don't understand the new way of use. Also the explanation ... is very little and not useful at all.
That could be talking about almost anything to do with Trainz. We are lucky when we stumble across something that has a good explanation already attached to it. It does, however, keep the technical forums here interesting.

@JCitron I'm sorry, you're right.
At the other hand, it was not immediately meant to get a reaction, more as a statement there are more issues; if I have to open a thread on every question I have nowadays, the forum will be double on number of items.

The game isn't as intuitive as it was in the beginning and with all the extras and accessories that have come since my starting days, I might need some time to discover by trial and error... So I hope that the old surveyor stays some time and give me the possibility to return to it when surveyor 2.0 doesn't do what I want.

Thanks anyway for the hint. The reason I was trying to use the new slave <kuid2:76656:500040:4>, is because it was mentioned in the detail screen of the old version. So I installed and used it, but it doesn't wok the same way and I don't get the reason and don't understand the new way of use. Also the explanation on the "Boat'z ATLS Page" is very little and not useful at all.
I tried the "new way" also and ran into the same issue you did. Starting a new thread allows other users to find the topic easily and keeps the topics separate. We tend to go off topic a lot, especially I know I do often because one topic leads to a story or a slightly related but not quite unrelated topic.

I agree things are not as intuitive as they used to be and are more complex too at the same time. Add in little or no documentation, and we end up running in circles. The good thing about Trainz is we don't have to adopt the more complex ways of doing things for everything and we can keep going about our business in the same way we've always done. This may sound like I'm and fuddy duddy whose set in his ways, but that that's not true. I'm willing to try anything new as long as it works.

With Trainz, I've discovered a long time ago that KISS always best. When we start doing complex things with this program, it falls down pretty fast and hard.

Back