SOO Line Schiller Park Yard

Dap

Prototype Operations Guru
I am currently creating a route and session for the SOO Line Schiller Park yard. This was a flat yard that was their southern terminus just northwest of Chicago. There are 5 inbound and 5 outbound trains to the north each day plus an extra now and then and as many as 13 outbound transfers and 12 inbound transfers to the south each day. Plus a bunch of industries near the yard including the now infamous Twinkies factory.

I have a copy of the 27 page Yard Masters Instruction Book from 1965, a listing of all arrivals and departures for the month of August, 1965 that includes times and number of cars in each consist, and the blocking standards for the complete SOO Line. My goal is to make this as prototypical as possible.

I have all the track laid and signals installed and have started working on the op session. I could use some help from anyone who is knowledgeable about the SOO. Questions I have that need answers are things like what motive power would have been used on which trains? They had ten cabooses used in transfer service. I know the numbers (they are listed in the Yard Master's Manual), but what did they look like? How many locomotives would be used on a train given its tonnage?

Any savy SOO fans willing to mentor me through this creation?

I'm not an expert, but I am a big Soo fan and I'll help in any way I can. I know a few people with info you might find useful.

Are you modeling circa 1965?

Good luck, I'd love to see this in Trainz.

289V8, thanks for the photos. The ten cabooses used at Schiller Park for transfer service in 1965 were 99048, 99055, 99077, 99089, 99094, 99103, 99104, 99111, 99115, 99117. Can I assume these would all be the red wood caboose as shown in your picture? I was expecting something along the line of a transfer caboose found on other roads. If they were all like the ones in your picture, it sure makes modeling them a whole lot easier. Thanks for the input.

Bluetorse, if you would send me an email, we can get a dialog going and figure out what all I need to know and where to find the answers. I do appreciate your offer to help.

David

Back