So, I finally learned how to dual boot a PC on a single hard drive...

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
After so much trial and error over 2 days, I've managed to dual boot my old XP PC to have Windows 2000 Server varient and POS Ready 2009 on the HD. Everything works fine, except for the network driver not being found in 2000 (driver must have been a XP made driver). Other then that, it was a hard, yet fun experience.

Setting up a dual boot can be tricky, but you can actually do more than that by creating other partitions and other boot-config lines in the boot-loader. I did that once about 20 years ago with Solaris, Win 98, and NT 4.0 on the same PC. With virtual machines now, that setup is obsolete unless you really need the horsepower for your applications.

What network card do you have that needs drivers?

Well the network card driver is a built in one to XP. Here's a pic of the name of the driver from XP:

e8a3dd5a250b052260db2e98f9eb8269.png

I got the same driver finally installed after some trial and error in 2000, but it doesn't work like it should.

2d11b3739531bfd63bd2fad7dd7f582f.png

If you know where to get the driver, please put a link. The (so called) update to said driver is the VIA Rhine II Fast Compatible Ethernet Adapter, but it does not work in either XP or 2000.

Clam. I stated that driver is classified as a "update" but does not work right with either 2000 or XP, which I find weird.

When I installed the VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter in both 2000 and Xp, in device manager it said that the driver could not boot.

Just a quick clarification. I'm getting a legacy PCI network card to put in the machine. Hopefully, that'll take care of the issue.

Why are you wasting time on older operating system for Point Of Sales software? Embedded was meant for something that is not a regular computer.

Other than that, did you use a SEPARATE partition on the single drive? It will behave better that way.

https://youtu.be/8yiEsdiCbqE

Last edited:
Back