Sniper297's 218 mph Locomotive

nuni727

Well, I got bored and decided to take one of sniper297's RSD5s for a spin around HarborMaster. With no modifications I managed to get it to 218 mph. :hehe:
Has anybody gone higher?

Proof below.

f0a27b0fe6af8ef264c2d61a2c3f9ad4.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi Nuni,

I made a e-spec last year that goes 3298kph, I named it 'warp core' I think thats the max trains lets it go, couldn't get more out if it.

The reason why snipers RSD does that speed is the way the person created the e-spec, other than setting it to 0 kn at the top speed mark some people put it 5kn or 10kn which seems to keep it accelerating.

-Aaron

RSD5 by Maserati

What, 218mph ain't fast enough for ya? I can weld on some afterburners but the insurance costs will skyrocket and they eat fuel like candy. :hehe:

Most of that was from the original engine spec, I just added the max throttle and max speed tags that TS12 was whining about to shut it up. Dunno what 40 is, I assumed meters per second, which works out to 86.4mph - too much for an RS3, but since N3V didn't provide any samples of built in engine specs that have these allegedly required tags there was nothing to go by. Possibly that number is French Fortnights per Algerian Acre or something, once I figure it out I'll upload a replacement. Meantime feel free to clone that engine spec and see if you can make it go even faster. :cool:

Alco S4, you are GO for the TLI burn

Ya had to get me going on this, I looked at the Alco S4, which uses a different engine spec, to see if I could steal the numbers out of that and it's even faster - I hit about 130 with the RSD5 before running out of track, the S4 was at 175 and still accelerating when I hit the end of the line and catapulted into space. NASA says it reached escape velocity and is now halfway to the moon, so I guess I gotta hack that engine spec too if I want to keep them on the rails. :hehe: Ran a couple other tests (never did these before, I'm a low speed switcher kinda guy) and found the E8, F7, GP9, and GE 44 Tonner all max out between 70 and 80, so I'll take a squint at those engine specs to see what the difference is. It ain't in the maxspeed or maxthrottlespeed tags, changing those from 40 to 10 has absolutely no effect I can see in either TS2010 or TS12.

He's running CAB mode control so it is in the throttle-curve container in the espec. Probably the last tractive force value in each throttle notch container (or at least 1 of them) is a non zero value. Trainz will keep accelerating to an amazing speed in that case. Well if the total train resistance is small any way. Tractive force is specified in kN by the way and velocities are in m/s for the throttle-power container.

You can look it up on the Trainzdev wiki or even in one of the old ccg's.

The kind engine espec config has't had many changes over the years. Well 1 that I can recall since UTC - they added the full-throttle-speed tag in TC3 but nobody knows what it does and I can't see any effect in user controlled dcc or cab mode diesels or steam locos.

Keep hacking away guys - even a blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.

Bob Pearson

What, 218mph ain't fast enough for ya? I can weld on some afterburners but the insurance costs will skyrocket and they eat fuel like candy. :hehe:

I can tell you first hand this is true...about the Maserati, that is. I wouldn't surprised if a real RSD-5 gets better gas mileage.

Anyone wants to clone it, clone now or forever lose it, I just uploaded the KUID2 with a max speed about 62mph.

Curious thing, I use Raildriver;

http://www.raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

Which might be a factor because Trainz reads that automatically - running in DCC mode I click the knob and turn it up, it pops back to stop after a second or two. Huh? Elementary, Watson, it also reads the forward-neutral-reverse keys from the keyboard, and when the reverser on the Raildriver console is in neutral it's like holding down the S key. So when I test in DCC mode (not that often, I'm a cab mode guy) I shove the Raildriver reverser forward, and the knob thingy goes to full on. Should be the same thing, but I mention it just in case it might be a factor.

With all that in mind, I thought the whole point of DCC mode was simplified physics, but testing with loaded coal hoppers DCC seems to take the weight into account? 20 loaded hoppers (about 3600 tons) is a bit much for an RS3, but doable. What I found weird is the difference;

14730029.jpg

DCC mode, crank the knob to full blast, 9mph after half a mile.

95144497.jpg

Cab mode, same train same starting point, with the sanders on and a little throttle finessing (get the wheelslip indicator in notch 5, back off to idle and sneak up on notch 4, wait til notch 4 gets it going a little faster before trying notch 5 again) I can get it up to 14mph in the same distance. Tried another RS3 which uses the default engine spec in DCC and it has the same performance, 9mph after half a mile pulling the same cars, so it ain't the DCC part of my engine spec. Not a big deal, I just find it curious since I expected DCC mode to ignore the weight and just jackrabbit out of the starting blocks.

I'm no steam expert but I do know that the regulator is like setting gears, you trade in speed for power or power for speed. Maybe DCC trades in power for speed giving you fast acceleration but low top speed per gear?

The original RS3 enginespec is somewhat flawed:

- in the "motor" container, the tag "maxspeed" is set to "40". These are meters per second, so it is equal to [40*3.6/1.609] = 90 MPH.

- in the "throttle-power" container, the last entries for notches 2 to 8 all have values greater than zero (20 kN for notches 2-7, 44 kN for notch 8). This explains why the loco continues to accelerate. The last value must always be zero.

@sniper297: DCC mode takes into account the weight of the train (as well as gradients), but this only affects the acceleration rate, not the maximum speed. I ran several tests, and the loco always achieves the maximum speed defined in the "maxspeed" tag of the "motor" container.

Carlo "Pendolino" Lagomarsino
TrainZItalia PRO Administrator

Cab Mode weirdo who thinks that DCC is for wimps
So do I Carlo.
Ciao,

Bob Pearson

@nuni7270
I'm no steam expert but I do know that the regulator is like setting gears, you trade in speed for power or power for speed. Maybe DCC trades in power for speed giving you fast acceleration but low top speed per gear?
Not quite. Regulator is called throttle in US. It's just a valve that controls steam flow out of boiler. What you're thinking of is the reverse lever sometimes called a Johnson bar which controls the cutoff or valve travel in the engine. While some people might compare this to shifting gears it isn't really like that. It's used to limit the steam admitted into the cylinders. At low speed you usually set it to admit steam for most of the stroke and as the speed increases you shorten the cutoff to use less steam per stroke and allow it to work expansively which increases efficency.

DCC as mentioned is just a simplified control that uses a much simplified physics system. You just dial in the speed you want to run at as a fraction of the maxspeed tag value - no power considered at all. The max-accel and max-decel tag values determine the rate at which the speed changes. It's changed some over the years but now the mass of the train is taken into consideration in the rate of speed change as Carlo mentioned.

Last edited:
The A23 Jet Sled goes 687 mph ... and should be way fast enough for anyone.

I drive from Altoona to Cresson in a little over 1 minute ... and to Johnstown is a little over 1 minute more.

There used to be a cool high speed CSX commercial on TV.

Delay of game due to senility

Got the new one kicked back because the new one I uploaded was the backup of the old one, all these 297 Alco RS3 engine spec.cdp files look alike. :hehe: Pretty sure I uploaded the ACTUAL new one this time, now if only I could remember where I put my alzheimers pills. :confused:

Got the new one kicked back because the new one I uploaded was the backup of the old one, all these 297 Alco RS3 engine spec.cdp files look alike. :hehe: Pretty sure I uploaded the ACTUAL new one this time, now if only I could remember where I put my alzheimers pills. :confused:

Dining Room cabinet, top left drawer, right next to the note you left yourself reminding you where your pills are. Why else would you tie that string around your finger.

Dave......

Mmmm, no, I'm pretty sure that was so I wouldn't lose the string. ;)

Beginning to wonder if there are any actual limits, I got a test route with a 1 mile long 1% grade and half mile 2% grade in a big oval. Running counter clockwise you go up the 1% and down the 2%, with about 3 miles level track before hitting the 1% up again. Running an Alco S4 with that S2-S4 engine spec;

Engine 2104 S2,<kuid2:38304:50005:1>

I wound her up and let her rip, came back after about 20 minutes and she was up to 380. Will she break 400mph?

44009269.jpg

Gotta try that again inside the cab, see if the speedometer stops or actually winds around four times. :cool:

Back