Signal question.

DJReonic

Insane EMT
Hey, JR,

Is there a way to get The Searchlights and CLights to go dark until a train is in their block, like the Mojave Sub signals? I tried using the "Approach Lit" checkbox in CCP, but that just made the Searchlights go yellow until they needed to display an aspect. I haven't tried it on the CLights yet.

Thanks

DJ

I know how to do this but it's very important you read the following:
There are two types of signals: absolute and permissive. Absolute signals made by JointedRail and NorfolkSouthern37 end in the number '04', '06LD' (Left Diverge), '06RD' (Right Diverge), '08', and '08-1'. If an absolute signal shows red for 'stop', it means stop. Permissive signals made by Jointed Rail and NorfolkSouthern37 either end in '05' or '06 Intermediate/Distant' or '06 Approach/Distant'. If a permissive signal shows a red signal, it doesn't mean 'stop', but 'stop, then proceed'. Go into Surveyor and select the Mojave Sub route and click on the signals at the end of the passing sidings and at the ends of the double-tracked main line (Bena and Cable) and you'll see that the signals there are both '04' and '06LD' or '06RD' signals. The signals in between are '06 Intermediate/Distant' or '06 Appreach/Distant', or '05'. The signals that have a series of numbers and the word 'distant' is the '06 Intermediate/Distant' or '06 Approach/Distant'. When you are using the '05' or '06 Intermediate/Distant' or '06 Approach/Distant' signals, use the 'properties' button on 'trackside' when your building a route and you will see that you will see 'Approach/Distant: NO', click on the 'NO' and it'll change to 'YES' and then click on the check button in the bottom corner. To make sure that I've done it correctly, I go into 'vehicles' and pick out a random car or locomotive and place it in front of the signal. The signal will change colors. Next click 'undo' until the vehicle is gone and the signal will go dark. Don't use the CCP, if you mean 'Content Creator Plus'.

Ok, that helps if I'm using only permissives, and rigging them individually. What I need is to be able to set all of them Out of Game, to be approach-lit, and have them behave correctly. I'm wanting to set it up for the new UMR route that just came out. That, and a project I am going to do on that route.

I don't know of any other way. Plus, I would ask the people at JointedRail or NorfolkSouthern37 about the signals.

FOUND IT!!!

By comparing a Mojave Sub 04 and a Safetran 04, I noticed that in the config, the only real differences are the "default_approach_lit" value and the "9" signal aspect. "9" is a dark signal, and setting the signals to approach-lit, automatically defaults them to signal aspect "9"

Basically, put these in their respective places and voila, approach-lit signals.

extensions
{
default_approach_lit "1"
}

Under "Signals"

{
light -1
}

Hope this is of help to anyone who needs it.

there should not be an approach lit option for the 04 signals.

setting them via the default_approach_lit "1" is the only way to set them, so i guess you did it right.

Actually, not all the signals have the default_approach_lit option. I believe the only ones that did were the 05s and the 08s. That was simply a matter of adding in the extension. Also, the 04s did not have the aspect "9", which allows the signal to go dark. All the rest of the signals had that aspect. That was also just a matter of adding stuff to the config. Might be worth fixing if you have the time, just so others who want to use that feature don't have to go play with config files (unless they really want to).

it isnt something that needs to be fixed. i am aware not all the signals have the approach lit tag, it isnt needed if they are not to be approach lit, same goes for the 9 aspect. that tag was added specifically for the mojave signals, so i didn't have to set each one to approach lit as they were placed.

what i meant by option is that in your first post you said you used the checkbox in the surveyor dialog. 04 signal codebase does not have this checkbox.

I have a somewhat related question, this concerning the Searchlight 08's and the Safetran 08's. When placed on a route with no turnout in the vicinity, these will display "clear" (green over red over red), like it should. However, when one of these is placed in the vicinity of a turnout, facing such turnout, it will display "diverging approach diverging" (red over yellow over green) when said turnout is set for the normal route. When said turnout is set for the diverging route, the "08" will display a proper "diverging clear" (red over green over red) or "diverging approach" (red over yellow over red). Am I doing something wrong here? I know many roads use a two headed signal (06) at junctions like the beginning of double track or at passing sidings, but some used a three headed signal (08). So what am I missing here? What can I do (if anything) to have an 08 display a clear indication when a junction is set for the normal route?

unlike the 06s, which are set to be L or R diverging by default (this is only for convenience as the signal internals are exactly the same) the 08s are not set until the options are selected in surveyor. to do this, when you place the signal, use the object info tool (question mark button) and select the signal to get the settings.

NS37 I have a question:
Say I have a yard with an entrance on each end, and I want to use a double light signal displaying a red over lunar indication when entering the yard from either end. Is there a way to setup one of your double light signals to display this indication? I know many yards have a 'diverging restricted' indication when going into unsignalled yards.

Back