Signal Placement on long routes between Towns! Need help with this!

Hey, Cas, can you find an example ... ?
How would a train yard have no signals, I'm curious!

Ish
Allot of major freight yards used to have several signals in the wayback days, but now with radio, and cell phone, and train orders they just get clearance from the yardmaster to tie up on a certain track, or depart when the dispatcher notifies them ... there were plenty of yards that had one or two signals, or no signals at all, except on the main, and the last yard throat turnout to the main ... they just did not run zillions of miles of wire to signal each and every yard track ... today with computers running the show, there are not as many trains running per hour

Backwoods and branch lines usually had no signals at all, except for switchstand flags or kerosene lanterns

Allot of major freight yards used to have several signals in the wayback days, but now with radio, and cell phone, and train orders they just get clearance from the yardmaster to tie up on a certain track, or depart when the dispatcher notifies them ... there were plenty of yards that had one or two signals, or no signals at all, except on the main, and the last yard throat turnout to the main ... they just did not run zillions of miles of wire to signal each and every yard track ... today with computers running the show, there are not as many trains running per hour

Backwoods and branch lines usually had no signals at all, except for switchstand flags or kerosene lanterns

This works fine for real railroads, but our AI drivers don't like unsignalled sidings and will sit there and flip switches or take the wrong, slowest, longest route between two points. The solution for this issue, Ish is invisible signals for those places where you don't want to have any showing.

Here ya go Ish, these are what you need for yards and sidings; Invisible signals L5 by "LRT505" user ID 635427 the are on the DLS, there are five types, from left to right they are;

1. L5 Invisible signal - Always Proceed (used at the start and end of a yard track)
2. L5 Invisible signal - Converging (04 type somewhat)
3. L5 Invisible signal - Diverging (06 type)
4. L5 Invisible signal - Permissive (05 type)
5. L5 Invisible signal - Typical (04 type)

2016-09-28%20153358_zpstg8p0q2v.jpg

Thanks Cas for the info --

This works fine for real railroads, but our AI drivers don't like unsignalled sidings and will sit there and flip switches or take the wrong, slowest, longest route between two points. The solution for this issue, Ish is invisible signals for those places where you don't want to have any showing.

Thanks John for the info, too!

Take care guyz --

Ish

A special thanks

Thank you John and JohnnyC1 -- You guyz provided valuable and detailed information on this subject which I have found unmeasurable. I'm sure many silent posters, and those who have posted will gain from what's on this thread!;)

I've also posted this info on my Desert Route blog, with credited to you guys!!!

Take Care guys

Ish

Thank you John and JohnnyC1 -- You guyz provided valuable and detailed information on this subject which I have found unmeasurable. I'm sure many silent posters, and those who have posted will gain from what's on this thread!;)

I've also posted this info on my Desert Route blog, with credited to you guys!!!

Take Care guys

Ish

Thanks, any time.

John

Hi Ish, I'll throw in my $.02: This has probably been said before, but there is really no standard for the spacing of block signals. On BNSF's Lampasas subdivision, they are, on average, about 2 miles apart. If you're modeling a US railroad, this would probably be a good spacing. If you are placing signals between sidings, most of the time they are 05 signals-with a number plate. An approach signal to a siding with a CTC power switch will have 2 heads with a number plate. These are "permissive" or "intermediate" signals that can be passed at restricted speed. When you get to your siding switch, be sure to place signals without number plates to protect your switch. These are "absolute" signals, such as 01 and 06 signals, that in the real world must not be passed without authority from the dispatcher or control operator. I hope this isn't too long-winded of a post, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help you as best I can.

Cheers,
Cody

Hi Ish, I'll throw in my $.02: This has probably been said before, but there is really no standard for the spacing of block signals. On BNSF's Lampasas subdivision, they are, on average, about 2 miles apart. If you're modeling a US railroad, this would probably be a good spacing. If you are placing signals between sidings, most of the time they are 05 signals-with a number plate. An approach signal to a siding with a CTC power switch will have 2 heads with a number plate. These are "permissive" or "intermediate" signals that can be passed at restricted speed. When you get to your siding switch, be sure to place signals without number plates to protect your switch. These are "absolute" signals, such as 01 and 06 signals, that in the real world must not be passed without authority from the dispatcher or control operator. I hope this isn't too long-winded of a post, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help you as best I can.

Cheers,
Cody

Hello Cody --

First, thank you for your feedback on this topic -- I'm sure many out here, like myself, are like "More excellent information" ... :wave: Cody, if you don't mind, gonna ask some question here instead of PM, so we can share your knowledge on this topic!

A couple of questions:

What does this mean?
An approach signal to a siding with a CTC power switch will have 2 heads with a number plate.

From "absolute" signals, such as 01 and 06 signals" ...
Is there a picture? Or even a real world clip from youtube?

Thanks in advance, Cody!

Ish

@All -- Forgive me guys; But since my desert route is so massive I can only get this thing right once; Additionally,I have to update the route in many areas where I've already place signals ... I know, lots of work, but to be honest, TANE has made it fun --- TANE is build to handle massive routes without the slowdown of previous versions!

No problem Ish, I'm happy to help! When I say "approach to a switch" I'm referring to the signal before the one that's actually at the switch. When you have a type of operation with dispatcher-controlled signals and switches, the approach to the switch will normally have 2 heads to inform the engineer whether he's going into the siding at the next signal or continuing down the main line. I'm on my tablet right now so when i get my pc fired up I'll try to get you some pics or screenies as soon as I can. Have a good night!

Cheers,

Cody

No problem Ish, I'm happy to help! When I say "approach to a switch" I'm referring to the signal before the one that's actually at the switch. When you have a type of operation with dispatcher-controlled signals and switches, the approach to the switch will normally have 2 heads to inform the engineer whether he's going into the siding at the next signal or continuing down the main line. I'm on my tablet right now so when i get my pc fired up I'll try to get you some pics or screenies as soon as I can. Have a good night!

Cheers,

Cody

Hello Cody,

You just gave me a few ideas for sessions for my route whenever I do complete the route, etc ...

Thank you very much for your assisting ... no rush at my end, sir --- Looking forward seeing your screenshotz on this topic!

Take Care
Ish

Ok Ish, here are some screenies of 01, 05, 06, and 06 approach/distant signals. On the 01 and 06 signals, please ignore the small plates with the letter "A." Those are just personal reskins I did of a JR signal G plate for my route. So anyway here ya go:

The first ones we have are 01 searchlight signals. These are normally placed at the end of a siding, where the siding and the main line converge. Place one for movement main-to-main, and another for siding-to-main:

02e401316a32bb4de6e744284d5c0e16.jpg

The next signals we have are 05 signals. These are the ones you will normally place between sidings, when the following signal is not governing movement over a siding switch. Note the horizontal number plate, which has a unique ID number on it. The number usually reflects the milepost location of the signal. These are "intermediate" signals, since they are placed between sidings:

c1f3bfbf50ade2de70703b44306b70a7.jpg

Moving right along, we have the 06 signals. They govern movement over a switch or turnout at a divergence, where movement can be either main-to-main or main-to-siding:

e1e30a457c77042f3b074b0b05588fe0.jpg

And, finally, we have 06 approach/distant signals. These are also "intermediate" signals, except they are placed where the following signal DOES govern movement over a switch. Like 05 signals, they also have a horizontal number plate. These signals will inform the engineer whether he will proceed on the main line at the next signal (green over red aspect) or go onto the diverging route or siding (yellow over green aspect):

01f6d2d2bdce99118bf0102c64da4e2b.jpg

There are other signal configurations, but these are the ones most commonly used in my neck of the woods. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Cheers,

Cody

There are other signal configurations, but these are the ones most commonly used in my neck of the woods. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Cheers,

Cody

Hi Cody,

Thank you very much for your insight and participation here -- I'm sure, like myself, many appreciate your posts and screenshotz! I, with your blessings, will copy and paste the above onto my Desert Route blog so I can always keep it as a reference note, and of course credit you! :p

I never forget a good deed, so I'm sure I'll name something in my route after you ... a path, a coal mind, a limestone mine, etc etc ...

Take care now!!! :wave:

Ish

Ish--thank you very much for the kind words--I'm honored! I hope that the screenies can help you on your project. Feel free to do whatever you'd like with any of my screens, and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. If there's any way I can help let me know, I usually look at the forums daily. Have a great day!

Cody

Ish--thank you very much for the kind words--I'm honored! I hope that the screenies can help you on your project. Feel free to do whatever you'd like with any of my screens, and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. If there's any way I can help let me know, I usually look at the forums daily. Have a great day!

Cody

Thank You, Cody for your feedback, sir!

If you like to subscribe to the route blog can be found here: "Desert Interactive Railroads"
I hardly post on the blog, but when I do it's meaningful! -- Route began with TR2006, but all of trainz versions thereafter, except TANE, wasn't really the fit -- TANE can handle the huge size of the route!

Anyhow, thanks again, and take care! :wave:

Ish

Hello Gentlemen,

If you're using RRS Supersignal for your own layout which one's would you use?

He has over 400+, and I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Thanks for your feedback?

Ish

Hi Ish!

What railroad are you modelling? How detailed do you want the signals to be?

The simplest thing to do is to pick a signal type that looks the way you want and search for "full aspect" in the name. 1-headed signals are used for the automatic blocks, so use a 3-0-0a signal. 2-headed signals are usually used on the distants to an interlocking, so use a 3-3-0a. At the interlockings themselves, use a 3-3-0i to guard the entrances to the junction(s), unless you need to support Slow speed moves. In that case, you need a 3-headed signal, like a 3-3-3i. 'i' means interlocking, 'a' means automatic. All signals are automatics except the ones guarding the controlled junctions themselves, and you do not need interlocking signals at uncontrolled junctions like freight spurs, only mainlines.

If you're going for maximum realism, you can either 1. sit down and study all the intricacies of signalling rules ;), or 2. just place a bunch of 3-3-3 signals and set them to Automatic mode except for the ones guarding junctions, and experiment with what they will display before and after trains pass them. You can then substitute each 3-3-3 signal with whatever signal can display just enough aspects to display what needs to be displayed, and nothing more.

Back