Session creation

nfitzsimmons

O've finally reached the point where I want to begin creating sessions for some of the routes I've created. Is there a decent tutorial out there somewhere?

The T:ANE manual is almost totally useless, and after spending a couple of hours with Google what I see is various old threads here that basically say, "Well, you'll eventually figure it out if you keep at it long enough."

Last edited:
... what I see is various old threads here that basically say, "Well, you'll eventually figure it out if you keep at it long enough."

Well, to a point that statement is true but you will get a lot of frustration (and hopefully resilience) along the journey.

A starting point might be the Train Wiki which has a section on Content Creation: Sessions which can be found at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo. While not a complete guide, the topic is probably way too broad to be easily covered, the links will get you started on many of the features of sessions.

Since you are going to be diving into session creation, it would also be a good idea to look at the wiki page on Using Layers (in the section Content Creation: Routes found at the above link).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference. What I'm interested in is troubleshooting weird things. For example, I started out with a simple, one train session. Just running a local passenger consist from one end of the route, stopping at several local stations for loading and unloading passengers, finally exiting through a portal at the other end. Created the consist, a driver was assigned, I gave the driver instructions, and saved. Ran the session and sat back as watched as everything worked as assigned.

Edited the session to add a second consist, a single switcher that I just parked in a siding with no assignment. Ran the session again, no problems.

Added a third passenger consist set to run as an express running in the opposite direction with no stops, exiting at a portal. Works fine.

Added a fourth consist, a coal train I directed to navigate to a local power plant, unload coal, then exit through a portal. That one just sits there unless I personally take control of it.

The disturbing thing is that I used the exact same procedure to create and assign actions to each of the four trains.

How does one troubleshoot something like that?

The main advice for when you start out making sessions, is to use the Kiss process. Keep it simple.
Choose to create a session and then place a consist on your route and give him/her orders to go from where it is to another place on the route.
Watch for any spots where they get lost and add trackmarks to get past the spot. Once it can run from end to end you have a session. I find it best to place trackmarks on the Route Layer, so they can be used in later sessions. Once your consist is working properly, add in a second and go through the same procedure. Don't try to run before you can walk is a good motto.
You need a lot of patience to create sessions. Run the session, find and fix a fault, then run again and again. Another thing is that sessions can be short in time, or can be able to run over many days of operation.
My sessions are all setup to run automatically, with multiple trains working together in the same area. I have a modified version of Philskene's Industrail Steel works, with 10 locos operating within the mill and supplying the raw materials and delivering the products all over the route. I just sit back as the despatcher a watch for any conflicts, or hop on a train and go for a run.
You can PM me if you would like advice.
Cheers,
Mike

THow does one troubleshoot something like that?

With a lot of patience and logical steps. The topic of the AI not working is another popular one in these forums.

The AI does work, just not intelligently.

Every layout and AI scenario is different so there is no one solution that will fix all AI problems. You have to experiment with the placement of signals, both visible and invisible, trackmarks with the use of the "Drive/Navigate Via Trackmark ..." command, directional markers and priority markers. There will be posters who will claim that directional and priority markers do not work but all my testing in TRS19, see the various threads, proves that they do.

In general, do not assume that the AI can think for itself. The KISS principle works best. If you make the layout complex, with many AI drivers following complex paths then you will eventually run into trouble and human intervention will be needed - just like in real life.

In general, do not assume that the AI can think for itself. The KISS principle works best. If you make the layout complex, with many AI drivers following complex paths then you will eventually run into trouble and human intervention will be needed - just like in real life.

As Peter says. KISS is the way to go.

When setting up complex junctions, wyes, and other places where the AI might be confused, I have found using the Drive To Track Mark to be extremely valuable.

The Drive To track mark and Drive To <destination> allow for a more specific driving with the AI following very specific paths and not attempting to, usually, navigate around an obstacle.

Placing track marks on various legs of a WYE as well as before/after ensures that the AI will travel in the direction they're supposed to instead of going part way, backing up, and then continuing on their merry way as I've witnessed more than a few times.

Signals can be tricky and just as in real life they need to be planned ahead of time. As you gain experience, you'll start to "think like the AI" and almost anticipate a spot on the route that will give them problems and adjust your setup accordingly.

As always keep in mind too that what maybe prototypical does not always work well for the AI drivers and the old KISS principles really hold true in this case.

With the consist that wont move, you may have a missing switch somewhere on the line. Make sure your messages are turned on.
Cheers,
Mike

I've just started making sessions also... Best way for myself (and speaking for self only) is to view the session rules of an existing session that I know well. Analyze each rule, what it's doing, why it's there. The hardest thing for me initially was keeping track of what was built in and what was not. Things would run fine on my install but when I took my session to another machine with a "standard" install only (TRS19 and 6 routes) I kept having "unknown assets." For some reason, drivers automatically assigned to AI trains were not standard drivers. They all had to be "re-assigned." Things like that are the things you never think of when creating a session..... (at least, for myself.)

With the consist that wont move, you may have a missing switch somewhere on the line. Make sure your messages are turned on.
Cheers,
Mike
That was my first thought, but I can drive the desired route manually with no problems, so I don't think that's the problem. Just for fun I set up a trackmark about 2 squares ahead in the route (it's single track between the original consist location and the test trackmark. I told the driver to Navigate to... the trackmark, and the train still doesn't move. Plus it always brings up the player controls (either simple or complex, depending on which option I select when I start the session.)

Just for fun I moved the consist to a completely different part of the route, gave it the same instructions, and it still doesn't move unless I personally control it.

Full disclosure, I was recently diagnosed with early-stage dementia. I will be keeping up with Trainz as long as I can, but I might be asking stupid questions in the future. I hope not, but I'm beginning to forget things.

Last edited:
I can sympathise with you. 10 years ago I had a number of operations over a short period, including the amputation of my left leg.
With all the medication I was on, I found it affected my memory a bit. I have now been diagnosed as diabetic and one of the side effects of the medication is that it can affect memory. I find I am having more senior moments lately. I am 71 though.
Regarding the consist that won't move, have you tried another locomotive at all?
Cheers,
Mike

I can sympathise with you. 10 years ago I had a number of operations over a short period, including the amputation of my left leg.
With all the medication I was on, I found it affected my memory a bit. I have now been diagnosed as diabetic and one of the side effects of the medication is that it can affect memory. I find I am having more senior moments lately. I am 71 though.
Regarding the consist that won't move, have you tried another locomotive at all?
Cheers,
Mike
I've been type 2 diabetic for 3 years and I turned 71 in January. The hits just keep on coming.

I tried 2 different locos and got the same results. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

That was my first thought, but I can drive the desired route manually with no problems, so I don't think that's the problem. Just for fun I set up a trackmark about 2 squares ahead in the route (it's single track between the original consist location and the test trackmark. I told the driver to Navigate to... the trackmark, and the train still doesn't move.

Driving manually can ignore some problems that the AI can see but you (the manual driver) can easily miss. Missing junction levers and broken tracks links (white/yellow spline points are the usual indicator of that) are the most common AI issues that manual control can ignore - small height differences at track spline joints are easily missed. It pays to check every metre of track.

The best method is to test using trackmarks and the Drive To command. Start by placing your first track mark just down the track from the reluctant consist. Issue a Drive To <name of trackmark> command and if it works then move the track mark further down and repeat until the command is ignored. That will narrow down the trouble spot.

My sympathies on your medical condition. I have three brothers-in-law with the same diagnosis. About 2/3rds of us will have it by the age of 80.

Back