Saving Session Tries to Save New Route (Marias Pass X 4.5, TRS19)

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
In a sudden rush of nostalgia, I decided to fire up the Marias Pass X route (Version 4.5) in TRS19 and create some new sessions.

However, when trying to edit the included "Base" session, the game makes me save as an entirely new route with no option to save as a new session only (thus, I have several MPX "clones"), even when I don't actually change anything. I have also double and triple checked that I'm working on a session layer and not the route layer. In fact, I can load surveyor, and "save as" immediately without doing a thing, and the game will still try to save it as a new route, with the option to save as a new session grayed out.

This means I either have to clone the route (which often results in signals and industry settings disappearing), or Quickdrive it, and not be able to save anything.

It's supposed to work like this: Instead of creating a new session, you edit the included "base" session, which has session-specific settings already saved, then save it as a new session. It worked this way in TS10, 12, and even T:ANE, but TRS19 will try to save it as a new route, which loses those session-specific settings.

Is there any way to get this to work as intended again?

I am using TRS19, Trainz+ build 105100.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
I have the same route and am using Trainz Plus 106618 and I have no problems. I did have a problem when I accidently changed something on the route and that made it want to save a new version of the route. So are you sure you did not change anything on the route? Including the environment?

I haven't changed anything. Even going directly up to "save as" after loading the base session surveyor - without clicking anything else - tries to get me to save as a new route without the option to save a new session. As far as I can tell, this is the only route/session that does this.

"Save new route and session" is ticked by default, with the "Save as session" option grayed out.

Matt

Last edited:
That's normal (sic) operation due to the integrated Surveyor-Driver. No harm is done to your route when you save except when you do this with an operating driver-session. When you do any changes then, choose the do not save session method, otherwise trains will end up in the wrong place when starting next time. I can't remember who it was that asked here, but this is part of the answer he got from N3V and the reference to the session save is experience from Clam1952, which I've taken as a big chock on to the memory block to remember forever.

I am back now, Tony kept me out for a few weeks. He didn't like what I was doing on the forum. There was another guy who used my name and I got rid of them.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
That's normal (sic) operation due to the integrated Surveyor-Driver. No harm is done to your route when you save except when you do this with an operating driver-session. When you do any changes then, choose the do not save session method, otherwise trains will end up in the wrong place when starting next time. I can't remember who it was that asked here, but this is part of the answer he got from N3V and the reference to the session save is experience from Clam1952, which I've taken as a big chock on to the memory block to remember forever.

The problem is that some signals, industry settings, and (in the case of the original version of MPX) even pieces of track are missing from the route, and are only found on the blank base session. And editing that blank base session is what creates problems. I want to create and save a full operating session with traffic that has all the signals and settings intact, that I can play more than once. I wasn't aware the new integrated driver-surveyor would break something I took for granted in previous versions.

Matt

I updated to build 106618. Naturally, now about 80% of my content is broken (why did I even update? I knew that would happen). But back on topic...

Even from the regular "save" dialog, I cannot save as a new session only. It still tries to save it as a new route. Again, creating a new session from scratch deletes signals and industry settings.

Are there any good ways to get around this?

Oh, I forgot one other detail. When the route clones, sometimes it copies the base session with the signals and settings intact, but editing that base session creates yet another copy of the route!

Matt

Last edited:
When saving a session for a route, which isn't already in TRS19 format (trainzbuild 4.6), TRS19 wants to save the route in its own format, to match the format of the session.

Peter

It actually goes back to TANE SP2 when the mapfiles became per baseboard rather than 1 mapfile for the entire route. Any route below TB4.5 will exhibit that behaviour when a session is saved or created for it. The change was to made to prepare for multiplater surveyor.
cheers
Graeme

Back