Rivarossi Hudson Questions

watemple

Still here... lurking
Hi all.

I managed to get my hands on a Rivarossi Dreyfuss Hudson at a local train show a couple days ago. Are there any people that have any vintage Rivarossi steamers? I'm wondering how does this pull? Are they easy to maintain?

Thanks

Rivarossi has been making trains a long time, I had one back in the 1960s that ran pulled good. That may not help you much.

I currently roster two Rovarossi Big Boys, three cab forwards, and several other steamers by them in various sizes along with some diesel locomotives. Yes they pull nice and as long as you keep the drivers in line, they are super easy to maintain.

I have an ancient Indiana Harbor Belt Pacific which died many decades ago. Their quality went steadily down hill and became somewhat sketchy. The model I got was during the early 1970s, and they were notorious for seizing up like mine did way back then.

I have the Empire State Express I bought back in the 80's. I ran it for many hours pulling the ESE on a modular club layout and I was very happy with it's performance.

Dave

I have 2 Rivarossi steam engines, a southern railroad 4-6-2 pacific and a RF&P 2-8-4 Berkshire, they run pretty well and can haul a good sized train but I would not tack on anymore cars that can strain both engines which would result in investing in traction tires.

Okay, after cleaning and lubing it to the best of my ability, I brought it to the track. Apparently the motor is dead :( It's odd though because the seller said that it ran. I can tell it still is getting power because the light works. Is there any way to repower it or have I just flushed $115 down the drain? :(

Last edited:
Perhaps it needs new carbon brushs, and a polishing of the armature pole contacts, where the brushs contact, could be the phosphor bronze wheel wipers, and dirty wheels ... I use Bright Boy track stone eraser to clean things, and blow residue off, vacuum, and wipe grit away with rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip, and make sure cotton fibers are removed, as well as any microscopic iron filings or steel wool particles. Traction tires can be gummy, and very small dental braces rubber bands some times work. I usually buy only Athearn, as they have all wheel drive, and no troublesome traction tires. Sell it to some other sucker at a Christmas train convention, or on EBay.

Last edited:
Okay, after cleaning and lubing it to the best of my ability, I brought it to the track. Apparently the motor is dead :( It's odd though because the seller said that it ran. I can tell it still is getting power because the light works. Is there any way to repower it or have I just flushed $115 down the drain? :(

This is exactly what happened to mine 40-plus years ago. The engine got stuck like this and never ran again. You can now put it on the shelf, or place it on your layout as a static train display.

You could be lucky and get a replacement motor. I remember seeing those available somewhere, but I can't remember where. I found this out at one of those Greenberg train shows that come around my area in November and April. The guy I spoke with had the same engine I have for sale, though inoperable as well.

Alright, the engine is going to be in one of my display cases for a while.

I'm planning to work with my dad to replace to motor. I'm looking for a can motor that can fit. I saw the Mabuchi FA-130RA Flat Can. If any of you have re-motored an engine, which motors would you guys recommend?

Back