restarting trainz carrier which version should i ?

kamran

well 3 weeks back i lost my hard disk.it contains my beloved trainz and its contents i collected in last 4 years and my local folder was 100+ gb in size .my hdd crashed and it was un repairable .so i was so sad that instead of thinking to atleast recover my data i brake my hard drive bcz the charges of data recovery were more then the price of that seagate 500 gb hdd. along with trainz i lost tons of other important data including study material and other personal stuff
so just bought i tb new hard drive and its time to restart my trainz carrier from 0.first i think i should reinstall ts 10 and continue with it then though most of the new contents especially are for ts 12 and when i was using ts 10 i think to switch to ts 12 but thinking of losing many important contents due to lack of compatibility mode and difficult to repair such big quantity of contents i didnt but as now i am starting from 0 so there is nothing to loose so what u suggest should i continue with ts 10 or should upgrade to ts12
the main reason for asking this is bcz i saw too many negative comments about ts 12 and especialy after sp1 ts 12 isnt as stable as ts 10 so what u say guyz should i stick to ts 10 or upgrade to ts 12?

I do not use TS2010 or TS12, so I can't help you with the right choice.

But I replied to your post, because I understand your frustration. If I lost four years of work I would consider data recovery service, even at the price of a new hard drive, perhaps.

I was in similar situation half a year ago - my HDD crashed and I could not recover my Trainz content. I was so heart broken I stopped using Trainz for few months, but then I thought starting from scratch would be the worst option. Instead I started seeking a recovery solution that wouldn't cost much. Luckily I had an old PC running Linux CentOS to which I was able to plug in the supposedly damaged drive. What was impossible in Windows XP I could do in Linux and I copied all my routes to a new PC. To see and play with my old stuff after so many months was best reward for my efforts.

So, I encourage you to try any option to recover your old data. Unless the disk was melted down or smashed by sledge hammer, there is a big chance that your files are still there intact.

Good luck!

actually same thing happens last year and i spend too much money on data recovery.now if i go for data recovery then i wouldnt buy new hdd and as i now bought new hdd so no more money for data recovery but i saved previous hdd to gave it try if recovery is possible

The Linux method often works, You can even just use a live CD assuming you have another working Drive in the PC you can copy stuff to.
Depending on what's wrong with the drive, overheating components maybe, then sticking it in a plastic bag in the fridge for an hour may get it working long enough to copy the data off it.
2010 is good TS12 is a lot better but only up to 49922, avoid going any higher until they sort out SP1 and it's hotfixes

When you are up and running again, find some means of backing up your stuff on a separate drive internal or External or DVD preferably two separate backups as they can fail as well.

Then my advise is to back up your stuff regularly.

As TRAINZ is hopeless in backing up automatically and it lacks a revision control system, it is best to copy the entire content of folder "../[trainz_installation]/local" to a separate drive at least once a week. Between major back ups you should back up your changes manually. I do it every time, even if I add a single tree to a route. Backup takes much less time than time spent on tinkering what I lost and how to re-create missing content.

Last edited:
2010 is good TS12 is a lot better but only up to 49922, avoid going any higher until they sort out SP1 and it's hotfixes

Is this issue being monitored in some thread? I am much interested in purchasing TS12, but I would like to wait until all major bugs are exterminated. When this can be done?

actually drive got faulty its rotating motor stucks and no more working.i bring it to person who repaired this issue last time but he said this time motor has been broken or damaged he tried to save but couldnt.

now i will use another disk just for trainz back up but i still need answer should i continue with ts 2010 or go for ts 12

Back