Reading & Northern Operatations

davidakridge

Session Creator
So I live very far from the great state of Pennsylvania and have been studying this route for several days. I think I have figured outthat this route represents Port Clinton through Tamaqua and on to Jim Thorpe.There are literally hundreds of images and videos to show this great line and the types of loads that are carried on the line.

My question is; On the part of this map that is represented, where is most of the coal or other stock items moved to and from. I was thinking of making a few sessions to have ready when the route is released and need a few ideas.

David

Last edited:
One session I think obviously would be the excursion services with either diesels or the 425 (also available on USLW. requires Ben Neal's S&A 750). I can't think of any operations other than excursions unfortunatly as I dont live there

Well, you have got three different Railraods in this map, the Reading and Northern, The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern, and the Lehigh Gorge Senic Railroad. Even all are related, 1 hauls strictly Freight snd the other 2 are excersions.

Well, you have got three different Railraods in this map, the Reading and Northern, The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern, and the Lehigh Gorge Senic Railroad. Even all are related, 1 hauls strictly Freight snd the other 2 are excersions.

I was reading about the excersions, but I'm more interested in the freight. I certainly see there is lots of coal but I also see other rolling stock also. I just would like to know from where the coal is loaded and where it is taken or any other industries supplied along the provided portion of the route. I really like this route and rolling stock.

david

There was a switchback right in Mauch Chunk (Jim Thorpe) in Carbon County by the name of Mauch Chunk Switchback. I think the RBMN line itself went to Pottsville and there were anthracite mines along the way.

Having actually ridden the real scenic line, from Jim Thorpe, behind a diesel that may well be the same one JR has produced, I'd love to see the passenger op as a Trainz session. So far I find the route reasonably prototypical, at least at Jim Thorpe.

I too have heard about this switch back, and i have ridden behind the LGSR, i have lots of memorys from there.

So I live very far from the great state of Pennsylvania and have been studying this route for several days. I think I have figured outthat this route represents Port Clinton through Tamaqua and on to Jim Thorpe.There are literally hundreds of images and videos to show this great line and the types of loads that are carried on the line.

My question is; On the part of this map that is represented, where is most of the coal or other stock items moved to and from. I was thinking of making a few sessions to have ready when the route is released and need a few ideas.

David

Ok, let me run through the industries and operations on this line as far as i understand them.

First of all, most loaded coal moves south through Tamaqua and Port Clinton. Loaded mini-unit culm (waste coal) trains used to come off the un-modeled Catawissa & Hazleton Branch at "Carbon" and head east to the Panther Creek Partners Co-Gen plant, although Panther Creek Partners has ceased getting their coal in by rail about a year ago as they switched to a much closer site.

Some overhead general freight moves from Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe, where it has destinations on the non-modeled Lehigh Division, as well as a small amount of interchange traffic for the Shamokin Valley RR out at the western end of the railroad.

As far as carload industries go, refer to the map below and i will try to have a short description of each one.

- [FONT=&quot]Maurer & Scott/Koch Farms - Grain, fertilizer, and an occasional tank car
- Tanner Industries - tank cars of propane
- "stone/coal" ramp - sporadic usage, self explanatory
- ISG[/FONT] - inbound covered hoppers loaded with fly-ash *no longer in operation as of this year*
- [FONT=&quot]Air Products - chemicals in covered hoppers and tank cars
- Trans-Western[/FONT] - plastic pellets in covered hoppers
- Ametek - covered hoppers, no idea whats in them

Boxcars for International Paper and lumber flats for Universal Forest Products also move over the line to their industries on non-modeled portions on the western end of the map.

Hope this helped!

~Josh

Ok, let me run through the industries and operations on this line as far as i understand them.

First of all, most loaded coal moves south through Tamaqua and Port Clinton. Loaded mini-unit culm (waste coal) trains used to come off the un-modeled Catawissa & Hazleton Branch at "Carbon" and head east to the Panther Creek Partners Co-Gen plant, although Panther Creek Partners has ceased getting their coal in by rail about a year ago as they switched to a much closer site.

Some overhead general freight moves from Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe, where it has destinations on the non-modeled Lehigh Division, as well as a small amount of interchange traffic for the Shamokin Valley RR out at the western end of the railroad.

As far as carload industries go, refer to the map below and i will try to have a short description of each one.

- Maurer & Scott/Koch Farms - Grain, fertilizer, and an occasional tank car
- Tanner Industries - tank cars of propane
- "stone/coal" ramp - sporadic usage, self explanatory
- ISG - inbound covered hoppers loaded with fly-ash *no longer in operation as of this year*
- Air Products - chemicals in covered hoppers and tank cars
- Trans-Western - plastic pellets in covered hoppers
- Ametek - covered hoppers, no idea whats in them

Boxcars for International Paper and lumber flats for Universal Forest Products also move over the line to their industries on non-modeled portions on the western end of the map.

Hope this helped!

~Josh

This is awesome. Thanks

Back