Quartering for Articulateds/Duplexes

kws4000

Local Knucklehead
I recall reading that dynamic augment was an issue with multi-engine steam locos, and was particularly bad when the two units walked into synchronization (PRR T1 for example). So I just thought, why wouldn't it help to have the front engine quartered one way, while the rear engine was done so the opposite way? Why I think this would work is because if one side of the loco happened to be in sync, the other side would be completely out of phase, and would work to correct that. Suddenly vice versa, and the reverse process starts. Thoughts? Equations? IRL proof?

Either left side leading or right side leading works equally well. Most RR's used one way though I seem to remember reading some years ago the PRR used the opposite.

Having the two engines quartered oppositely is an interesting question. Could it be done - yes - but what effect (if any) would that have on operation? Reversing the valve gear for example?

Ben

Either left side leading or right side leading works equally well. Most RR's used one way though I seem to remember reading some years ago the PRR used the opposite.

Having the two engines quartered oppositely is an interesting question. Could it be done - yes - but what effect (if any) would that have on operation? Reversing the valve gear for example?

Ben

I am quite certain that there would be no need to modify the valve gear for different quartering. The only difference should be at the point where the wheels are pressed onto the axles. As to final effect - THAT is what I want to know.

What we need to know here is has it ever been tried and if so what were the results?

Any engineering types out there or retired loco engineers?

Ben

Back