Procedural Track with Deeper Ballast Profile?

rjbradley

I've been using the built-in "TANE 1Trk Wood" procedural track, but am finding it difficult to level the ground beneath it, especially on grades, without leaving gaps between the ballast and terrain in places. Is there something similar, DLS or payware or otherwise, that has a deeper ballast profile?

I did some poking around before I posted here.

There's a ton of procedural track you might find useful.

LRW track has a nice profile to it.

The original Pro-Track by Andi06 (RIP). This track also has a deep ballast variant which you maybe interested in.

and some track by Elstoko. Protrack NSWGR, which appear to have a deeper profile than the default TANE track.

My recommendation is to look through the various tracks, among those that I have mentioned and give 'em a try.

Thanks John. I'll have a look at those. Is there a filter that can pick out only the procedural track variants? I did some looking earlier and did find some tracks with deeper ballast, but they all turned out to be non-procedural.

Euromodeller,

I tend to not use the Smooth Spline tool except in fairly flat areas. For the mountain grades on my route, I find it creates an unprototypically wide R.O.W. I have been using the Use Height Tool instead on the smallest radius and then adjusting the height as I progress along the route. It's more time consuming, but I find the cuttings and fills more to my liking.

There are no procedural tracks with an "embankment" for mountain or mildly undulating terrain.

Harold

Thanks John. I'll have a look at those. Is there a filter that can pick out only the procedural track variants? I did some looking earlier and did find some tracks with deeper ballast, but they all turned out to be non-procedural.

Most of the Procedural tracks have Protrack or Pro-track, or PT in their names. Look for those with wide embankments that Harold mentions. Andi06 made some, going from memory.

Euromodeller,

I tend to not use the Smooth Spline tool except in fairly flat areas. For the mountain grades on my route, I find it creates an unprototypically wide R.O.W. I have been using the Use Height Tool instead on the smallest radius and then adjusting the height as I progress along the route. It's more time consuming, but I find the cuttings and fills more to my liking.

I understand now :)

If I am running a rising track next to another, or on a mountainside I use a sidewall with a ground plane attached, such as an FMA2 SW....
Deeper ballast would be better, but we have to compromise, try doing superelevation on a tight curve, one side sticks to the ground the other side floats with a shadow under it. :eek:

FMA2-SW.jpg

Actually wouldn't need a procedural track with an embankment just a matching track.

Doubt if a junction with an embankment would be needed and probably wouldn't work in procedural.

Harold

Like that but matching a more common track configuration.

Harold

These happened to be Andi's track. I know what you mean. There's not much that's North American or close to it. Overall I find the Pro-Track to be too light and thin for our needs.

I did "cheat" though and take an embankment asset and replace the referenced track to various ones including some of the Pro-track I was using at the time. I also reskinned some regular track to match the Pro-track types to use in places where the procedural track doesn't work well. When blended together, no one knows the difference including me. :)

Doubt if a junction with an embankment would be needed and probably wouldn't work in procedural.

No reason it wouldn't work. What happened when you tried?

The procedural track used in the embankment spline will join correctly with any other procedural track. That would typically be the junction of an embankment and a bridge.

Back