Problems with TS12 and "wait for" instructions that wait for ever ?

chopperaddict

Chopperaddict
On my ongoing (and ever ongoing it seems) N scale model design layout named as "bad Spiralz" using TS12 I have hit a get many problems that appear to be mostly down to AI trainz problems (no surprise here) and the way that system works ?

I am trying to use TS12 to design a display layout of some 20 X 20 feet that has a great deal of track (in many spirals - hence then name) that has to be design be fully automated in many ways. I have a two line main line that takes the consists some 12 minutes to traverse at 60 mph, plus a branch line that handles some 8 - 10 trains on a single line with passing places (usually stations). That works pretty well now, but the main line is a real pain in the proverbial a.......ss.

I have implemented a lot of trackmarks, found by hard experience that the AI system is not too keen on noticing them all the time, and worked around that with of all thing, "priorities" that have stopped a lot of totally missed trackmarks.

However I recently added a couple of main line "freight traffic loops" to have them go into that spare line (loop) and then Wait for a trigger to continue, the concept being to let the express traffic go through while the freight traffic waits and then follow the following consist ? With me so far ?

Good, but that did not seem to work well at all, it simply slowed everything up, exactly the opposite of it's concept, so i changed the Wait for Trigger to a simple DELAY to let the faster traffic come on through.

To my amazement, the result of that was to have consists sitting in the freight hold loop for ever, because the 20 second delay I set for them simply got ignored. They stopped there for sure, but the 20 second timer NEVER GOT RELEASED.

Chaos ensued of course....

Has anyone experienced these WAIT FOR timers not clicking out on the specified time period before ? It is a real pain in the A...ssss right now for this model layout I am trying to design for real world application?

I know it is just software, as so many people like to say, but I have been a (winozzzzzzze and also unix/linux etc) s/w developer for a lot of years, and I cannot understand how such a basic function as a simple windows timer loop can never come out and not be noticed?????? (code say for x < # seconds requested - loop) Why is it not reading the timer and terminating after xxx seconds as specified ? This seems to be a (nother) majoor bug in TS12 that surely should have been fixed a long time ago. It is easy to debug, easy to identify, and easy enough to fix in the Windozzzzzzzzze code.

It is pretty exasperating to keep finding these types of really basic code bugs in a product that has been around for so many years, and these types of problems should have been fixed a long time ago ?

Ian

Ian,

I've been thinking about this...

Chaos is an understatement! Here's something to think about regarding the various wait rules. I know you were trying to wait for a trigger event, but that can be hit or miss I've found out unless the events are nested properly. Other than that, I've never used them, and to be honest I think I tried them once.

The Wait For... is for events such as wait for a train to pass by a certain track mark. Did you try a track mark for your main line trains to pass over in order to trigger the event?

Wait Until... is for setting a specific time. This one can be tricky, as I've found out. If the time passed by that the train is supposed to wait for, the AI driver will sit there for the next 24 hours waiting for the event time again. Use with caution! :)

Wait... is probably the one you want. This one allows you to choose the waiting amount of time such as wait 20 seconds. You put this in let's say after you put in a drive to track mark, south side loop, for example. You'd then put in a wait... (20 seconds) for the AI drivers to grab a cup of tea while your other trains pass.

I hope this helps...

Back