Possible Gaming Laptop

Hello!
I've been recently searching for a Gaming Laptop and came upon one at Best Buy. It is a Toshiba Qosmia and has the following specs:
  • 4GB RAM
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processer
  • 200GB Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS - 512MB
  • Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) w/ SP1
  • All other specs here
I've read all the reviews and it seems suited for Trainz so...
I would like some feedback from the Trainz Community before I buy.
Thanks!
~TTT100~

Another Contender!

Well, Thanks for your help!
I wasn't really to sure about the 9700 GTS graphics card.
Any way I did some searching and I found another Contender.
It is a Gateway FX and has the following specs:
  • 4GB RAM
  • 320GB Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS - 512MB
  • All other Specs here.
I'm not to sure which one to choose! The reviews were very good for both!
Thanks!
~TTT100~

I strongly recommend sticking with a 32-bit operating system at the moment. Vista 64-bit has some serious problems with printer drivers and some software. Given the 320gb hard drive, however, you may be able to dual-boot 32 and 64 bit OSes.

Wow! That was fast!
I don't think I'll be doing printing off my laptop.
Er... Does 64-bit Vista have a problem with Trainz?
If it does, then I'll look into a Dell laptop.
Thanks!
~TTT100~

I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Trainz runs fine on it. The only catch with Vista is its awful User Account Control, but if you follow the directions in the Vista threads (search for Vista) and you should be fine.

The second laptop you posted should do you fine, but you may not get good performance from the mobile CPU. It shouldn't impact your framerates too much though.

Chris

Well, Thanks for your help!
I wasn't really to sure about the 9700 GTS graphics card.
Any way I did some searching and I found another Contender.
It is a Gateway FX and has the following specs:
  • 4GB RAM
  • 320GB Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS - 512MB
  • All other Specs here.
I'm not to sure which one to choose! The reviews were very good for both!
Thanks!
~TTT100~

Looks good! I recently brought an Acer 8920G and a 9920G, good machines for gaming and very fast. The thing that you loose, is the processor speed, its only 2.0Ghz. I'd go for a higher numbered CPU. (Not sure what it is on the P types, but T types follow a pattern. E.g. T7700 = 2.4ghz + 4mb L2 cache and T9300 = 2.5ghz (I think) + 6mb cache.)

At the moment, there isn't much difference between the 8 and 9 series, I have both. :) (A 9650 and a 8800GT).

The only other thing, is HD space, yours seems to have 200GB, there are some with 500gb (2x250gb HDs) and 640gb models (2x320gb), although at the trade off of portiblity.

HTHs.

EDIT: as for 64-bit windows, if you have ultimate, (I shouldn't say this but oh well), the CD key is valid for 64 or 32-bit editions. You can imagine what you can do if you end up with a 32-bit edition! :)

Last edited:
Depends on the route :) I have a 2.4 Quad and a 9800 GTX on my desktop with Vista Home Premium and I'm yet to find a trainz map that causes any stuttering. The closest i've come to slowing it down was a route 15 tracks wide with 40+ car trainz on each track and very detailed scenery.

Those specs should be fine for trainz and will most likely eat TRS 09 as well. :)

Hi there!
If I were to get one of these laptops, what would be an estimated FPS?
Thanks!
~TTT100~

You are asking a big question. There are so many factors involved, on an empty baseboard with 1 track, possibly hundreds, when you add stuff, like scenery and do it carefully, down to about 40. On my 9920G, full settings and open country, I get about 20 - 30fps (bear in mind that S to C is very detailed).

Er...
OK, I'll have to narrow it down to random routes such as harcourts's Along UTA Lines or philskene's PortOgden&Northern 1a or even LieLestoSbrat's Branthorpe & Kilderdale Railway. Something along the lines of those.
Again Thanks!
~TTT100~

AFAIK none of those routes will tax either of the laptops you are looking at. Unless you are planning on running multiple 100+ unit trainz on them :cool:

A Third Contender

Its been a while and recently I've been looking at the Dell XPS M1730 laptop.
It has the following specs:
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000(2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)
  • 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
  • NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 Memory
  • RAID Performance: 640GB (2x320GB) 5400RPM
  • Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
  • And some other stuff like Bluetooth and High Definition Audio 2.0
The only cons I see to this system is its price($3000 USD), its weight, and its battery life.
Advice on this laptop would be great ... but the final decision is my dad's.
Thanks Again!
~TTT100~

Its been a while and recently I've been looking at the Dell XPS M1730 laptop.
It has the following specs:
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000(2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)
  • 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
  • NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 Memory
  • RAID Performance: 640GB (2x320GB) 5400RPM
  • Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
  • And some other stuff like Bluetooth and High Definition Audio 2.0
The only cons I see to this system is its price($3000 USD), its weight, and its battery life.
Advice on this laptop would be great ... but the final decision is my dad's.
Thanks Again!
~TTT100~

I would recommend the XPS M1530 (specificatlly the second-highest one on the website with the 2.5GHz core and the 1yr support package). I have been looking at this a lot and I think it is the best laptop Dell offers at the moment (aside from Alienware.)

Back