Possible Bug in Smart Signal Library 1.75A

BN1970

Trainz Plus Beta Tester
I believe I might have found a bug in the script of library 1.75a in that when you pass the facing signal displaying a 'green' indication and get behind the opposing signal for the opposite direction, the signal remains red and will not change to a more favorable color (in other words it stays red even though you are trying to reverse past it). The only way to get an aspect other than red, is to reverse your heading on the locomotive so the green direction arrow points toward the signal. Any locomotive (or consist) with the red arrow pointing towards the signal will not change the aspect. I know it was voiced here that it was unprototypical to have signals in ctc to go green behind the consists (such as in ABS territory), but I am wondering if maybe when you changed the script to allow the signal passed to remain red (as in CTC) it has now only allowed changes if the green directional arrow is pointing in the direction of the movement.

I hope I have explained this well enough. I went back to signal library 1.75 (and of course the signal went green after the consist passed), and it now changes its aspect to a favorable aspect when reversing your direction of travel (i.e. RED arrow pointing in direction of travel). BTW, this is occuring with both the freeware H-H new signals and the older JR searchlights.

Last edited:
This is intentional and there are a few reasons for this. When in controlled territory, the signal behind the train should not necessarily clear unless it was cleared immediately by dispatcher or was queued in the dispatcher system to do so. In order to have this behavior in Trainz there must be some indication of 'intent' from the train as if the train had to request a path. This is why it is required to have the train heading facing the signal and path you wish to clear. In addition the smart signal system will not be wasting calculation on a route that is more than likely not required. The AI also keeps its heading in the direction it is moving as well and that is a plus. The only way to turn this effect off is to use a signal marked as automatic.

Understood, Justin! Thought that might be the case; it works ok in AI, as the heading arrows automatically adjust for train direction. In cab mode, just have to use the directional button if you want to reverse direction. Thanks for clarifying this.

Back