Please...do NOT derail this train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. The kooky environmentalists decided to sabotage the track to save us all from a nuclear disaster...:eek:

Normal people would have used a pick and shovel to dig out the ballast, oh no we're environmentalists let's go on our hands and knees and use our hands to shift it.
Knumpty's.

Normal people would have used a pick and shovel to dig out the ballast, oh no we're environmentalists let's go on our hands and knees and use our hands to shift it.
Knumpty's.

I thought they where looking for a penny that was placed on the rail.

The guy standing above them is saying "keep looking, it's gotta be here somewhere".

I thought they where looking for a penny that was placed on the rail.

The guy standing above them is saying "keep looking, it's gotta be here somewhere".

The bloke standing wasn't quite as dim as the one's on their knees, close call though:hehe:

I know the containers are designed and tested to withstand a head on collision but I thought they'd be too thick for any heat-signature to be picked up by a thermal imaging camera and according to the picture they're as hot as the car engines.... Quite scary!

:D

Andy

I am unsure just how many nuclear power plants are in existance, vs coal to steam generating plants ?

I am left under the impression that no new nuclear plants have been built in the US in the last 20 years ?

And the nuclear plants that exist, are pending shutdown within the next 20 years ?

I have heard some things about water as a fuel, as HHO, whether that is capable of generating megawatts of power is unknown.

Undoutedly some other source of energy is needed, as processed nuclear waste has no use ?

Debating the pros and cons of nuclear energy...a sure fire way to get this thread closed.

Mike

OK, I consider myself fairly green, but these people are NUTS!

I've not understood much of the green movement's obsession with nuclear power since it has become clearer how damaging the coal and oil industry is to people's health and the environment (and this would be true even if you ignore the effect of CO2 on the climate). Nuclear power has proven itself mostly fairly safe, apart from a handful of incidents. More coal miners die worldwide every year than have ever died as a result of nuclear power.

The biggest issue with nuclear power is probably the immense cost and timescale involved with setting up power plants, and the very long legacy of care required for waste. Neither of these factors make it a promising economic prospect in the predominantly privately owned electricity industry.

And the heat you're seeing is about 20°C - perhaps as warm as the outer skin of a car bonnet - nothing like as hot as the engine itself.

Paul

p.s. @leferr - oops - cross posted. Actually, if we're civil, there's no real reason why it should get closed down...

Last edited:
p.s. @leferr - oops - cross posted. Actually, if we're civil, there's no real reason why it should get closed down...

Agreed, but these things rarely remain civil. I have my opinions on the subject, but I'm just not politically correct enough to state them here.

Back on subject, I'm just not sure how stopping a train loaded with the waste is going to solve the problem.

I'm just not sure how stopping a train loaded with the waste is going to solve the problem.

They were counting on the train stopping, obviously, but if they damaged the track badly enough it could have derailed.
I find that prospect amusing, like burning down a forest to save it from being harvested...

They were counting on the train stopping, obviously, but if they damaged the track badly enough it could have derailed.
I find that prospect amusing, like burning down a forest to save it from being harvested...

Exactly, how astute.

I think it is to prove that they don't want toxic uranium waste imported from all over creation, condenced to one specific pristine area, and disposed of in a mass toxic waste dump/holding pond/bunker, that will eventually leach radioactive polution into the groundwater and drinking water aquifier.

Its sorta' like ... causing an organized protest, to cause delays, to arouse public outcry, and cause disruption of sevice to a toxic landfill company, that purely does not care for the eviornment, all to change and bring attention how the government acts with reckless abandon for public saftey.

They are not out to wreck a train, but are vandalizng track to merely to cause problems to the RR and waste dumping company by causing disruption of service.

It's sorta' like wrecking a loggong company ... so as to keep it out of the pristine forest !

Last edited:
I think it is to prove that they don't want toxic uranium waste imported from all over creation, condenced to one specific pristine area, and disposed of in a mass toxic waste dump/holding pond/bunker, that will eventually leach radioactive polution into the groundwater and drinking water aquifier.

Now I'm really confused. They'd rather have little mini-toxic waste dumps scattered all over the place? Maybe we should just all go back to riding horses, heating our homes with wood or cow dung and lighting our homes and businesses with whale oil....Oh no, we can't do that.

I agree that they're trying to bring attention to their cause, but delaying or derailing a train carrying toxic waste seems to me to be irresponsible or at the very least, misguided. Oh well, I guess that I'm just not as intelligent as some.

Mike

Yeah that's the ticket: A little toxic waste in your drinking glass of milk, hardly ever killed anybody ... unless that teeny tiny radioactivity causes a huge area of land to be poisoned ... and cause a mega huge cancer cluster in a large portion of a pristine countryside.

Go Go GO ... Urainum dumping ... Yea team !

Yummy Uranium !

Doze' Dasturdly Dudes ... How Dare Day' Doo' Dat' to Da' poor whittle' ol' wail' woad' twacks' !

Last edited:
Yeah that's the ticket: A little toxic waste in your drinking glass of milk, hardly ever killed anybody ... unless that teeny tiny radioactivity causes a huge area to be poisoned ... and cause a mega huge cancer cluster in a large portion of a pristine countryside.

Go Go GO ... Urainum dumping ... Yea team !

I'm just asking, not proposing. Which is better, concentration or dispersion? The waste exists and has to go somewhere.

You keep using the 'pristine' word and I'm not sure why you keep applying that description. I'm not familiar with the area, so I'm not sure if the area is a pristine or not, but I'll relate a little story. I was once involved with the design of all types of ranges for the military. At one point, a determination was made that due to various needs and requirements, one of those being the reduction of the fuel required to transport troops and equipment vast distances to existing ranges, that a new range should be developed. The area chosen was once used as an aerial bombing range in WWII and then after the war, the area was strip mined (lucky they didn't hit any unexploded ordnance as it's still there). It made perfect sense to reopen this area as a range as it really wasn't much use for anything else, but the Sierra Club and others stopped the entire project because it would upset the 'pristine' area and destroy the 'virgin' forest. This is not something that I've heard somewhere as I was personally involved in the process and the effects of misinformation. My whole point is not to believe everything that is put out there. Much of it is pure propaganda.

So, back on point. What does stopping or derailing a train accomplish other than propaganda?

Mike

What does it accomplish ? ... By nobody caring, and nobody raising an alarm, is exactly what happened, and exactly what they are doing down in the South USA, with all the thousands of NYC Garbage Train dumps ... if no one complains ... here comes da' grabage, right "In Your Backyard".

More than likely the train would just go off the tracks at slow speed, and cause alot of track damage, as the cars are heavily designed for high impact crash tests.

More than likely these idjiots causing track damage, wouldn't know how to, and couldn't derail a train if they tried ... it takes a pretty huge amount of pennies on the rail to wreck a train.

Also the "Group Digging Under The RR Tracks" may just be a posed fake picture, (not actual digging) that was mailed to the newsmedia, as a shock/wake up photo.

I tink' dey' should send all da' garbage to Antarctica ... an' bury it in da' schnow" ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2fntzGquZE&feature=related

Last edited:
What does it accomplish ? ... By nobody caring, and nobody raising an alarm, is exactly what happened, and exactly what they are doing down in the South USA, with all the NYC Garbage dumps ... if no one complains ... here comes da' grabage, right "In Your Backyard".

More than likely the train would just go off the tracks at slow speed, and cause alot of track damage, as the cars are heavily designed for high impact crash tests.

Who said that nobody cares. You seem to think that because somebody doesn't have the same opinion as yourself, then they don't care. I think that we all care and if I could, I'd wave my magic wand and make it all disappear. That's just not the case...it does exists and it has to go somewhere, just like the garbage from NYC, it has to go somewhere. It's similar to the prison system. We all want criminals locked up, but don't put that prison in my backyard or also similar to rock quarries, we all need the rock for a variety of reasons, but don't put the quarry in my backyard.

I don't plan on continuing this debate on the ills of the world as it will accomplish nothing. All that I was asking was what they hoped to accomplish other than costing someone a lot of money in repair costs and gain a little propaganda fodder. In the end, it really accomplishes nothing since the waste isn't going to just disappear into thin air. Complaining is one thing, but sabatoge and destruction of property is something entirely different.

Best to you
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back