Photobucket a total mess - suggestions for an alternative?

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
I've been using Photobucket for years to post my Trainz screenshots. The site's become a real mess of pop-ups and advertising and my anti-virus is warning about connections without certificates and so on. So I think it's time to find a new provider of screenshots. Any suggestions? (I've considered Trainz Gallery, but I think that's really for 'presentational' screenshots rather than pics illustrating problems or queries.)

Paul

I always use hostthenpost.org as its easy fast and free. Your other alternative is to post to your trainz feed in T:ANE and link from there.
Cheers
Graeme

Even with AdBlock you should be careful not to click on anything ... I agree Photobucket is extremely slow, and harder to use than years previously

One think I would suggest is to tag photos with names, so you can quickly search for them

Paul --

I've been with ImageShack for a long long time, but now, too, that has become a real mess.

Now I'm using my Dropbox folder.

To get a Dropbox image into the Trainz forums:

From Dropbox, copy the image link.
In Forum, open the insert image dialogue box and paste the Dropbox link.
In the dialogue box, replace

www.dropbox.com
with
dl.dropboxusercontent.com

Click OK

Phil

Dave --

My ISP uses dynamic IP addresses - that is, if I reboot my modem I could be allocated a different IP address.

Is it correct that hostthenpost links images to the IP address of your PC? If so, does that mean if I'm given a new IP address I can't access my images?

And I note the site says:

"All images that have not been accessed within 30 days will automatically be deleted."

What if I want to keep the images there longer?

Phil

Last edited:
The problem with Imageshack and photobucket, once super great sites, is that now they have a pay service in which to charge folks, so there free versions are crowded with lots of nonsense and garbage!

I use the Trainz Gallery, not as a presentation. but as you say picture illustraionts, and then link them to here -- it's better then the atlernative out there!

@Phil -- never knew that, sir -- I've been using dropbox since it came out!

Kind Regards
Ish

Interesting. I've been using Photobucket for a few years and now it is getting very annoying although I'm not getting the anti-virus warnings.

Don't think Dropbox is going to solve my issues so I'll look into Hostthenpost.

If I was bothered enough I'd set up a flickr account dedicated to my screenshots, so I recommend looking into that. Free, super easy to navigate and a very clean and professional website with minimal ads. :)
Check out Matts https://www.flickr.com/photos/128702874@N08/

host then post is quick and easy but doesn't keep a record of screenshots you've uploaded which is something I always like to look at from time to time.

Last edited:
You could also check if your ISP provides any storage space. Meant for a simple homepage, it can also provide a place to store your images.

host then post is quick and easy but doesn't keep a record of screenshots you've uploaded which is something I always like to look at from time to time.

Thats because its based on your IP address which if like 99% of the UK it's a dynamic one you will never be able to find them again.

I tend to check mine every so often and may use a screenshot on different sites at different times plus keep images relating to the project I'm working on, so need to be able refer to them rather than link them anywhere. I gave up and use a paid for ImageShack account seeing as the free one is no longer available other than for a trial. Too much stuff to move elsewhere! At a guess most of them will end up as paid services only the way things seem to go.

It helps when you have your own site like I do. They are relatively inexpensive and save loads of gnashed teeth in the process.

Bill

Imgur and a few other free sites too IIRC deletes your pics if not accessed within like 30 days or so. Imageshack doesn't run a free service any more (if you don't count trial) but as a pay service it is probably one of the best. Very fast, very sleek, no compression whatsoever, absolutely NO ads, always a pleasure to use.

Mytrainz and HTP are probably the best bets for free hosts RN.

Back