Phoenix/METRO Light Rail

Some updates:

Surveyor mode with the new concrete block rails, and some screens of the newer street-embedded track:

Rails_Surveyor1.jpg

Rails_Example_2A.jpg

Rails_Example_2.jpg

Let me know what you think!

-A :wave:

I think I need to figure out how to build content to help you finish up the route :p on a side note I got the chance to follow the light rail from Mill ave. (by the macayo's [and apparently an office park made up out of old Cabooses?... Caboosi?... Caboose's...?]) (i want to try/see someone try to make the parking lot grade crossing) to the Skytram/Light rail station on the north side of Sky Harbor. and the way they designed the switch to get to the service yard is exactly how you have it. The bridge over Tempe still qualifies as the ugliest thing on the route >.> I completely spaced getting pictures of the signals for the bridge :/ Any possibility I could get some of that fine content (notably the inlaid track and ground green/red signals) some time?

Updates!

More stuff! Concrete embedded track/transition and interlockings with bare rails. I don't necessarily agree that the TTL bridge is the ugliest thing on the route, although it could be better aesthetically. I'm using other users' custom content for the grade crossings and such, but the route was stalled for a few weeks at Roosevelt/Central because: a) I realized I needed better tracks, needed to model the bridge over the Deck Park/I-10 underpass, and I completely forgot that the Roosevelt St station is irregular, which requires me to do some "field work" and take pictures later this week.

Don't worry about the bridge signals--I was looking through my picture folders and I have several good pictures to use as models. Setting up the config/triggers for the signals will be interesting--if you notice, they have two lights on each end: WB-1/WB-2 and EB-1/EB-2. If a track is occupied, then then the light will be illuminated lunar, if it's clear, then it'll be dim (the metal plates underneath say WB 1 Clear, etc). Also, at the grade crossings with gates in Tempe from the Macayo's to University/Rural have lunar aspects in either direction that flash when the gates are down.

Floor signals are still being a pain in the @$$, so I've reverted to my NYCTA signals for now. I just copied several of them and changed the asset name and config to mirror the solid and flashing aspects that METRO uses. (Finally got that flashing tag!) So, if anything, I'll give you the modified NYCTA-style signals, as well as some of the content. Send me a PM with your vital contact information, and we'll plan a day to meet up and discuss this further. If you have AIM/Skype IM or something, then include that in the PM. I don't mind sending you the content. I have to re-model the stations to include a texture library for the station names, using Streadway's/Maddy25's fantastic script used in their freeway signs.

Okay, enough pontificating. Pictures:

Street Interlocking:
trainz2012-04-0202-40-29-50.jpg

Concrete Block Rail Interlocking:
trainz2012-04-0202-42-03-99.jpg

(The "crossover" track will be released as in the picture, and also a variation that includes the ties)

Embedded Track-Concrete Block Transition:
Transition.jpg

(Personally one of my favorites. This came out REALLY well)

Enjoy!

Concrete Block Rail Interlocking:

(The "crossover" track will be released as in the picture, and also a variation that includes the ties)

Embedded Track-Concrete Block Transition:
Transition.jpg
The Tracks look amazing
On a side note that has got to be the most track type variants I have ever seen for a single route.

The script for that might be a little complex. For now, there are only 5 stations in the set (1T [x2 with directional plates for eb/wb], 2T Side, 2T Island, and 2T Island 2, which is similar to the College Av/ASU station), so the easiest route would be to clone to your heart's desire and change the poster pics in the config.

I don't mind you reskinning--this is the first time I've ever done rolling stock (along with BART), so I have no idea on how to get it re-skinned, but when that is finished, I'll let you know.

Also, here are a few updates on the route, with some roads in, along with my new stations. I'm still experimenting. Question for veteran builders: should I use the AJS traffic lines to create my own junctions or go along with importing my own road splines/intersections?

[Finally got the Alstom-Citadis destination script to work! :D]

Train departing Veterans Way/College Av, going to dead-head back to the yard
acelejalde_20120113_0000.jpg

44th St/Washington St:
acelejalde_20120120_0000.jpg

acelejalde_20120120_0001.jpg

acelejalde_20120120_0002.jpg

acelejalde_20120120_0003.jpg

acelejalde_20120120_0004.jpg

acelejalde_20120120_0005.jpg

Enjoy!

Were can I find texture, roads, and the tramwire at? Happy Pre-Easter Everyone :)

I think we might have said this before, but you don't need to quote ALL of the pictures. It takes up load time and space and really annoys people. Textures for the roads are AJS textures as well as the road markings, etc. Those are all splines. Tram wires themselves are my own creations with my tracks, but the poles are by Paulzmay. So, search Andi06 and Paulzmay on the DLS and you should find what you need. Hope that helps!

I love the track work!! I hate to ask this, but how can you make the track from sketchup (I already know how to get into trainz), and is there like any attachment points to it?

No attachment points. When you're using a track spline, the config file is already set up in such a way that all you'll need is the mesh, and a few numbers for measurements (how wide/long it is in meters). Pretty much the game does the rest.

Some updates from the western end of the route, along with some shots of the eastern portion---ALL NEW TRACKS!!! Trackwork laid is about 70% done. Only five miles straight up Central Av to Camelback, then 2 miles west and a mile north to Montebello/19th Ave and we're done. So, here's to hoping this gets done before the end of the week!

Tempe Town Lake bridge transition: (eastbound view first, then westbound)
TTLBridgeEB.jpg

TTLBridgeWB.jpg

Mill Av Pocket looking westbound:
MillPocketWB.jpg

11 St-Washington/Jefferson Loop:
11StSiding.jpg

Roosevelt/Central Av irregular station (under construction):
Roosevelt-CentralEB.jpg

Deck Park Bridge (goes over the I-10 underpass tunnel; looking east [south] bound):
DeckParkBridgeSB.jpg

Loop 202 Freeway in Tempe (I'm still working on custom freeway splines, which is why this is incomplete):
Loop202WB.jpg

And one of my favorites, the Sycamore tailtracks with short transition:
SycamoreTailtracks.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
your route is gonna be bigger and BIGGER by the minute. You are gonna be a fortune!
I should hope not the route itself doesn't actually go that far nor will it ever :p
On a side note I found the proto of the light rail units you're using in your shots (not my pic)
images

Well, like I've said I've made it to McDowell/Central. I spoke with the METRO GM at a meeting in October and presented my proposal for what Valley Rail should look like by 2030, using the suggestions that METRO currently has on their website. He was impressed and we had a debate about rapid transit/high speed rail along the major freeways to link cities like Avondale, Gilbert and Surprise to central Phoenix. Those proposed extensions (I added about six new lines, with four starting in downtown Phoenix and two starting in downtown Tempe) will be put up in a map soon, and I might implement some of them in a future upgrade.

If the dang BBL's weren't so tall >.>:
I'd say put a rail line down the center of the 17 (or on the shoulder's of the Loop 101 and the 202) with the hov lane's removed. Following a similar pattern as the Chicago L with stations in the center and trains passing on the east and west of the station.
the trains would go westbound and eastbound from Phx Union station
West/north bound have it start at Phx Union Station with a light slope down to the 17 at washington street then crawl up the 17 stopping at metro center with a branch to the 101 east at Beardsley to trace the 101 to the 202 and connect up with the East/southbound trains.
North bound would continue on the 17 at Beardsley stopping at Happy Valley park n ride then anthem, cordes junction, prescott, Camp Verde, "road to sedona", and terminate at Flagstaff Station.
East/south bound head west traveling the route the Sunset ltd used to take with additional stops in mesa and gilbert eventually heading into tucson.
That's my crazy idea of what should have been done for a rail system for Arizona. the south to tucson portion being what ARPA's been pushing for years.

IslandStation.jpg

StationPosters.jpg

The posters are photos I took an hour ago at Montebello/19th Ave; getting the white "sails" on top of the station took hours of head-banging. I couldn't figure out how to curve them for the longest when it's really simple in sketchup. Just select the line connecting the two layers and drag. Sometimes the simplest things escape me :hehe:

You know I went looking for one of the main stations (I went to metrocenter and Central station) that have the centennial passes and the trolley tokens. Except I forgot that they are closed on weekends... I live @ 7th and the 101 >.> driving down there to find it was closed really screwed up my day >.>

Reminds me of my hometown light rail. The Denver Light rail. There having this HUGE expansion that will go right past my great grandma's farm.

Updates

Yeah, I was hearing about Denver's major expansion. Can't wait to see what it'll look like when it's done.

Finals and such are this week and next, so I might be AWOL for a little while guys--that's why you haven't seen many updates lately. They will be more spaced out and sporadic until the end of next week, around the 12th of May.

For now, enjoy some light scenery at 24th St station, Jefferson St is for eastbound trains, Washington is for westbound trains. Coming from the north (west) terminus at Montebello Av, train traffic is one-way from Central/Roosevelt to 28th/Washington. Eastbound tracks run down 1 Av and swing east on Jefferson; westbound tracks run down Central Av and swing east on Washington St; double-track resumes at 28th St & Washington for the duration of the route.

Overhead shot (Jefferson St/24 station is nearer the bottom-right)
24thStstations.jpg

2525 East Jefferson light. The traffic light will be replaced with a different asset. Vehicular traffic has the option of crossing over to continue eastbound on Washington, or taking the U-turn to head back westbound. Up ahead, double-track resumes.
2525EJefferson.jpg

24th St Sign
S24thSt.jpg

Jefferson St Sign
JeffersonLight.jpg

I'll be coming out with some more road-marking splines like the original AJS Traffic ones, but more conducive to my route (3, 4, 5, 6 lanes, etc). I don't know if I'll replace the freeways yet--I'm still having trouble with the connector pieces. Also, more variations on the traffic lights & signs to come!

Enjoy!

Variations and Photos

Since stumbling upon Streadway's fantastic sign set and combing through his configs I have decided to use his method of "mesh replacement" for the different signs. It's going to be complicated (at least for me) to implement, but basically instead of having dozens of sign objects, I'll have a core set of 3 or 4 that are able to show different meshes depending on what sign is being used.

For example, if I were laying scenery in Phoenix, I could have a base traffic light/sign pole and through the properties tab I'd be able to edit that sign and change the following mesh 'qualities':

- Color of the pole itself
- Type of street sign used (normal one-line, larger two line, no street numbers, street numbers, etc)
- How many traffic lights are attached to the pole and of what variation (right-turn arrows, left-turn arrows, etc; 2 lane, 3 lane, etc)

The above would use a base mesh and reference other meshes in the properties tab to bring about the desired result. One of Streadway's examples uses a base support pole for his freeway sign, and through the properties tab different types of signs are able to be selected. I haven't figured out the layout of my sign yet, but I hope to make some progress with at least getting the pole color and type of street sign to be interchangeable

Since I'm not able to access the Southwest thread on NYCTF (still locked out of my account for some reason), I've decided to post some rare finds here from my light rail trip yesterday. Usually only four LED readings are used on a regular basis here in Phoenix, one for the Phoenix terminus (Montebello/19th Ave), one for the Mesa Terminus (Sycamore/Main St), 44th St/Washington, and standard "METRO" when a train is idling at a platform or running light. I know some trains end at Mill Ave/3rd St but I've never been able to get evidence of this LED reading---until yesterday! Below are a few photos of this rare occurrence. I know some of my AZ natives here on the boards will appreciate this find.

(These were taken at the Sycamore/Main St station. For those riding the light rail, there is a train that departs Main St at 7:10 pm that ends at Mill)
MillSign2.jpg

MillSign1.jpg

MillSign3.jpg

Heading back to the yard, after leaving Mill: (sorry for the blur)
OOSMill.jpg

OOSMill2.jpg

Enjoy! Once this history paper is finished and submitted by tomorrow, I will resume work on this route.

Last edited:
well I made it down to central station and lo and behold they've been out of the historic tokens for months now... oh well, it gave me the opportunity to drive around Central station 3 times (yes that's three) I tried to get some shots of odd ball warning signs but I couldn't get them quick enough while driving, so I got the next best thing, a good deal of video following the route from probably 4 miles of track south of the camelback crossover to the 19th ave crossover then up to the terminus at 19th and montebello. It's going to need a lot of editing (darn drivers and these crazy things called license plates:hehe:) but it's decent footage for a phone, and I think it'll help on the construction of the route on my end of the system. it'll give an idea of shops and stuff in the area around it that we'll have to make (starting to mess around with sketchup and going to see about starting to construct some of the shops along the route. the catenary poles change color?!?!?!?!? I never noticed that, on the bright side I may have some decent audio of the ditch lights sound. and possibly the engine sound, and maybe, just maybe, the sound of the Metro trains hitting switches at speed. I don't know yet. I may see about trying to work on the lightrail trains before I work on the buildings it really just depends. If you have blueprints for the units I could use it'd be greatly appreciated Acela :). anyway my start of contributing to this is going to be here sooner than later, look for it by the end of the week today and the next few days are going to hit me hard, we had to put my dog down today :(

Back