Observing speed signs

laldfordo

As in the real world, AI drivers know what the next speed sign says before they get to it. But, as far as I can tell, they take no action until well past the sign.

So you have to place the sign quite a long way before where you want the speed reduction or increase to kick in.

Does anyone know exactly what this distance is? Is it fixed or does it depend on other things, like the speed indicated or the speed of the train?

My observation is that with a reduction, it changes right as the engine passes it. (Course then it has to slow down at that point, which takes time). With an increase, it takes affect when the last car of the train has passed the marker.

The best way to get the AI trains to slow down before they reach the speed sign is to place an invisible speed sign (showing the same speed) a few hundred yards before the actual sign. That way your AI drivers will start slowing down when they pass the invisble sign, and will therefore be driving at the appropriate speed by the time they reach the "real" speed sign.

Hope this helps,

JB

Speed signs

Many thanks for 2 helpful replies. I'm going to try putting a sign with the same speed that is already set less than a train's length before a slow speed sign, hoping that, after the front of the train has passed the latter and started to slow, it will speed up again as the back of the train passes the former, unless control has been grabbed by something more powerful, such as a yellow signal. Hope that makes sense!

The best way to get the AI trains to slow down before they reach the speed sign is to place an invisible speed sign (showing the same speed) a few hundred yards before the actual sign. That way your AI drivers will start slowing down when they pass the invisble sign, and will therefore be driving at the appropriate speed by the time they reach the "real" speed sign.

Hope this helps,

JB

I think that one of our members, 'Crazy' made some Yellow advanced warning boards that might still work in 06...

regards

Harry

Edit... Try this link, download and use these as proper warning boards. YES the AI will react to these as far as I know of.

Edit... Try this link, download and use these as proper warning boards. YES the AI will react to these as far as I know of.[/quote]

Missing link!

Back