NJT comet IV cab car in sketchup

malikrthr

Here are some screenshots that I took of the NJT comet IV cab car that I am making in sketchup. To me, it looks a bit more, like a shoreliner III or IV since the diaphragm is formed differently even though it has the digital display in the right window. How does everyone like it?

NJTcometIV4.jpg

njtcometIV3.jpg

njtcometIV2.jpg

njtcometIV1.jpg

NJTcometIV5.jpg

I really wouldn't know the difference, but I admire your work. I'm not a big fan of electrics, or subway cars, but the results you have achieved are great!

Well what do ya know? Believe it or not, I was thinking about doing these cars to go with my PJL route in the future. Looks like someone done beat me to it. Good luck though. Can't wait to see it finished.:)

Thanks. I think I ran into a problem though, I did the half of the exterior without doing the interior. I hope I don't have to move the roof and part of the exterior to get to the interior.

Sometimes I keep on thinking that push pull cabs can move on their own without the locomotive. I don't think that is possible. Do they get all of their power such as lighting, and humming of the a/c generators at the bottom from the locomotive? Just wondering.

Sometimes I keep on thinking that push pull cabs can move on their own without the locomotive. I don't think that is possible. Do they get all of their power such as lighting, and humming of the a/c generators at the bottom from the locomotive? Just wondering.

Yes. The loco uses what I think is known as "head-end" power where either the loco's main engine or an auxiliary engine on the the loco (such as on NJ Transit's F40PHs) turns some sort of generator which produces power for the rest of the train.;)

Any one here familiar with google sketchup? I wonder if there is a way for me to open up sketchup, make an interior for this, and then somehow copy and paste the interior to the comet IV or merge it.

Any one here familiar with google sketchup? I wonder if there is a way for me to open up sketchup, make an interior for this, and then somehow copy and paste the interior to the comet IV or merge it.

Ya just make the interior then copy it and paste it into your train

Okay, when texturing, you shouldn't use Sketchup's built-in colors, nor use the line system to draw in details. You should use actual textures. Colors will not be exported, and the mesh will come out all white, in Trainz.

Last edited:
How did you do it with your subway cars. If you have the time, can you give me a step by step tutorial on how you would use sketchup. I downloaded the gmax program the other day and the free version of sketchup, hopefully there is a way to get this to work without paying for anything.

Back