New to TANE

Enzo1

Offends by example
Hi guys,
I recently got TANE and I am new to it. I want to learn what all it can do, and I'm not exactly sure where to start. I've figured out how to import things, and have imported my route into it, only to find out that the trees and some grasses render horribly on it. I'm thinking that I will just start over again.
There are several things I am interested in getting accustomed with:
What exactly are procedural switches and how do they work?
How do I put one in?
If I import just any old track into the game, does it to use procedural switches?
Where exactly can I get good trees that work in TANE?
Is there any significant changes in the way of the surveyor tools go that I should know about and learn now?
What is post processing?
Is it easier to lay yards in TANE than it is in TS12?
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to importing assets into TANE? Is it if it worked in TS12 SP1 it will work in TANE?
I've heard discussions that there are now multiple layers for routes, is this true? If so, can someone please explain some so I don't get lost on how to work it.

I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but it seems as though I need to learn trainz over again.
Thanks! :)

I'd suggest giving the manual a good read, then do a little searching here on the forums. Most of the answers you seek are here, it will just take a little effort to find them.

Hi Enzo,

A quick reply to a few of your questions; I do not know the answers to all of them and am not behind my game PC.
How do I put one in?
If I import just any old track into the game, does it to use procedural switches?
Procedural switches will come automatically with the (new) tracks that support them. All other (older) tracks do not create them and still work the old way.

Is there any significant changes in the way of the surveyor tools go that I should know about and learn now?
Not that I noticed.
Main addition (but I am happy to be proven different) is that you can set the "quality level" of the track, which results in how much your trains will jump up and down when driving over them. A nice feature that needs some fine tuning but am hopeful for the future.

Hi Chris,

The older Speed Trees will not work. This is due to IDV, the creator of Speed Trees not supporting v5 trees in v6 and a licensing issue to go with it. This means that all old trees are being updated a handful at a time, with Roy, aka RoyzTrainz (Joosten) doing a rework of Pofig's trees for us.

So before importing a route with older Speed Treez into T:ANE, you need to replace them with billboards such as dmdrake's older trees, or those by Clam1952. Once you do that, things should come in okay and then the trees can be replaced in T:ANE to the Speed Tree equivalent. I did this with two routes. One route is my original big route dating back to 2003, and the other is a more recent route that's actually an amalgamation of routes by Dave Snow, MSGSapper, and Deremmy, and Jointed Rail.

John

How do I put one in?
These switches are built-in to the new procedural track, you don't put them in, the track does it and they can't be added to other tracks.
Where exactly can I get good trees that work in TANE?
wait for new ones to be created. Some are already on the DLS
just a few extra features, see the manual
What is post processing?
Is it easier to lay yards in TANE than it is in TS12?
depends on how easy you find it
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to importing assets into TANE? Is it if it worked in TS12 SP1 it will work in TANE?
I've heard discussions that there are now multiple layers for routes, is this true? If so, can someone please explain some so I don't get lost on how to work it....
You didn't notice the layers in TS12? Or didn't use them?

Thanks for the replies guys, it really helps.

You didn't notice the layers in TS12? Or didn't use them?
I did use them in TS12, but I've heard that there is more than just the two I were aware of in 12. When using 12, all I saw was a route layer and session layer.

ith billboards such as dmdrake's older trees, or those by Clam1952
John,
I am using the Clam1952 trees, but they do not render correctly. Perhaps I am not using the correct trees? I also am using some JVC payware vegetation as well and it's 50-50 on whether it renders right or not. If needed, I can post a screenshot of what I am seeing if that will help.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

I did use them in TS12, but I've heard that there is more than just the two I were aware of in 12. When using 12, all I saw was a route layer and session layer.

John,
I am using the Clam1952 trees, but they do not render correctly. Perhaps I am not using the correct trees? I also am using some JVC payware vegetation as well and it's 50-50 on whether it renders right or not. If needed, I can post a screenshot of what I am seeing if that will help.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

My Original Trees don't render that well in T:ANE there are some new versions on the DLS adjusted for T:ANE which may work better. Just replace the original CL Tree XXX with CL Tree TN xxx and see how that goes.

My Original Trees don't render that well in T:ANE there are some new versions on the DLS adjusted for T:ANE which may work better. Just replace the original CL Tree XXX with CL Tree TN xxx and see how that goes.

Do they automatically obsolete the old ones?

John

Do they automatically obsolete the old ones?

John

No they don't, there a reason for that as some appear to like the old ones, which if obsoleted would no longer be available. It's a name for name swap, same with the bushes. However the new ones also have a tag to stop the trees bending the smoke from passing loco's

There were always more layers possible. You create them as needed. One for trees, one for buildings, one for ... . Great for when you want to add or modify things that are very near to one another. Freeze their layer or turn it invisible and then there is no chance of accidentally affecting the wrong thing. When finished, turn the layers back on and you're ready to test the route in Driver. Also a good place to store Surveyor guides, that way they done show in Driver if you turn off that layer first.

I use layers as Martin says when placing stuff next to each other. I find them extremely useful for putting stuff on station platforms and loading docks. I freeze the station platform or interactive station on one layer and fiddle with the baggage and extra people on another. As in the case with loading docks, I've frozen the actual building I'm placing a dock next to. Once I got the dock into place, I then froze that and put boxes and stuff on the dock. When I was sure I had everything where I wanted it, I unfroze everything.

John

I use layers as Martin says when placing stuff next to each other. I find them extremely useful for putting stuff on station platforms and loading docks. I freeze the station platform or interactive station on one layer and fiddle with the baggage and extra people on another. As in the case with loading docks, I've frozen the actual building I'm placing a dock next to. Once I got the dock into place, I then froze that and put boxes and stuff on the dock. When I was sure I had everything where I wanted it, I unfroze everything.

John
Interesting, thanks for the insight. I never knew such actions even existed, so that should tell you how much I actually know LOL! It seems that is a very powerful tool. Now I am going to have to experiment with it.

Back