New Haven in film

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003

This video is compilation of silent films taken of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad, collectively known as the New Haven.

The railroad was started in the 1840s and met its demise in 1969 when it was included as part of the conditions for the Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central merger that created the beast Penn Central. The Penn Central despised the New Haven and did what it could to ruin it. In the early 1970s, the New Haven's major freight line was severed due to a suspicious fire on the Poughkipsee Bridge over the Hudson River to Maybrook New York. At Maybrook yard, the railroad interchanged directly with the Erie, and Lehigh and Hudson River. This gave the Erie a direct connection to New England, bypassing the congestion of greater New York City.

The New Haven was unique. The railroad not only had custom locomotives, they also purchased locomotives from every builder and it wasn't unusual to see Baldwin diesels running beside Alcos and EMD. The company also had an electrified mainline with plans at one time to electrify the railroad entirely, but that never came about, and the initial plan to electrify to Boston finally occurred 100 years after the initial plan.

The railroad came under the control of JP Morgan in the 1910s. While this was a cash influx, he also held the company over the fire and when he lost his shirt in the 1916 Panic, he cashed out and put this company along with the nearby friendly partner/rival Boston and Maine into bankruptcy. It was during the heyday and cash that the two partnered to electrify the Hoosac Tunnel with plans to electrify the B&M from Boston to Deerfield and for New Haven to electrify its line to Springfield and Boston. Under New Haven influence, parts of the B&M gained a 4-track mainline as well.

If it wasn't for JP Morgan throwing the company into bankruptcy until 1923, the Depression came along and ruined things, and it didn't help that the early interstate system was being built next to its mainline. The New England Thruway, an early bit of Interstate 95, paralleled the New Haven from New Haven south to New York City. Freight and passengers moved off the railroad and on to the highway in droves. A highway built by taxes on the railroad.

In the 1950s Patrick McGuiness got ahold of the railroad through controlling stock interests. He cut corners by slashing maintenance and gave the cash to the stock holders. Perhaps he was forward thinking because this is the modern way of doing business. He cut passenger service and curtailed freight, and eventually also gained control of nearby Boston and Maine where he continued to do the same. When he scrapped and sold the B&M's Talgo train, the companion to New Haven's trainset, and then pocketed the cash illegally, he got caught and was sent to prison. By then, however, the damage was done.

In 1969, the NH became part of the Penn Central and that pretty much sealed its fate. The railroad became a stepchild of Conrail and is now run by CSX.

nice footage John, it's Just sickening on what just happened to that railroad, not from that year started, but heinous that the Talgo train was scrapped but all of their steam engines with none in preservation, what could have been one of the most legendary railroads of all time is just another company ruined not just financially but a series of bad choices made that has contributed to their downfall only to be taken over at the end of it all.

nice footage John, it's Just sickening on what just happened to that railroad, not from that year started, but heinous that the Talgo train was scrapped but all of their steam engines with none in preservation, what could have been one of the most legendary railroads of all time is just another company ruined not just financially but a series of bad choices made that has contributed to their downfall only to be taken over at the end of it all.
It is sad that none of the steam locomotives survived. Patrick McGuiness did the most damage I think in the 1950s and 60s.

play stupid games win stupid prizes, him and his goons got what was coming to them, it's disgraceful, goes to show you that certain slimeballs who does not know what the heck they are doing including those mentioned should have stayed away from being in the railroad business.

play stupid games win stupid prizes, him and his goons got what was coming to them, it's disgraceful, goes to show you that certain slimeballs who does not know what the heck they are doing including those mentioned should have stayed away from being in the railroad business.
Sadly, this is done every day in businesses. The CEO who killed Polaroid came from Black and Decker after doing the same to that company. Polaroid went back to "core" products meaning instant film while selling off the profitable divisions such as Graphics Imaging where I worked, Fiber Laser, Medical Imaging Systems, and Polarizer.

can't say I'm surprised, it is ridiculous that greed and corruption was running amok back in those days and still ongoing today, that kills companies both in the railroad world and that are not railroad related, and the paint scheme, I think I have to go on record and say that Patrick McGuiness was a toxic choice to run that railroad to begin, it's no secret on why they went under because of him and other bad rats, the passenger numbers did not help either.

Last edited:
I remember reading about that. It's a good thing he didn't.
But then his successor George Alpert almost succeded that goal by replacing the passenger electrics with those Flop9s. The EP-2, EP-3, and EP-4 motors could've served longer. But what's even more sad and tragic was when in 1959, Alpert decided to abolish electric freight service from Cedar Hill Yard to Bay Ridge Yard. The EF-3s were only 17 YEARS OLD WHEN THEY WERE RETIRED! They were literally still in their prime and haven't even broken in yet! In the big EF-3's place, diesels were used. It was simply uneconomical to operate diesels under energized wires when you could've run the electrics (which might I mention were cheaper to maintain and operate than the diesels). Granted, in the early 60s, management tried to bring these motors back into service. Unfortunatley, due to them being exposed to the elements for so long, they were too far gone, and the New Haven didn't have the money to rebuild them due to the 1961 bankruptcy. So yeah, screw McGinnis and Alpert for attempting to de-electrifying. McGinnis at least got what he deserved in the end.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have seen it happen in a couple of companies, often a short-term oriented Harvard MBA who only know how to take the money and run, with a very golden parachute besides. I could only shake my head and think if they gave me a salary of millions of dollars I could have done way better for the stockholders AND the employees. Why hire a CEO for millions of dollars if you just want someone to run a company into the ground. It never made sense to me at all.

But then his successor George Alpert almost succeded that goal by replacing the passenger electrics with those Flop9s. The EP-2, EP-3, EP-4 motors could've served longer. But what's even more sad and tragic was when in 1959, Alpert decided to abolish electric freight service from Cedar Hill Yard to Bay Ridge Yard. The EF-3s were only 17 YEARS OLD WHEN THEY WERE RETIRED! They were literally still in their prime haven't even broken in yet! In the big EF-3's place, diesels were used. It was simply uneconomical to operate diesels under energized wires when you could've run the electrics (which might I mention were cheaper to maintain and operate than the diesels). Granted, in the early 60s, management tried to bring these motors back into service. Unfortunatley, due to them being exposed to the elements for so long, they were too far gone, and the New Haven didn't have the money to rebuild them due to the 1961 bankruptcy. So yeah, screw McGinnis and Alpert for attempting to de-electrifying. McGinnis at least got what he deserved in the end.
I forgot about George Alpert. He also cut maintenance too, causing derailments and major delays due to engine fires and breakdowns. It seems to me that both were working for the stockholders and board of directors rather than for the company much like David Fink and Dave Jr. did with Guilford and its replacement with blue and black with the same management. Under their "guidance", Guilford looked like an old branch line outside of commuter territory. The company took the 40-mph freight/60-mph passenger tracks and turned them in to barely 10-mph running speeds with locomotives that ran out of fuel, or caught fire enroute.

A very similar situation happened in the 60s and 70s with Milwaukee Road. Management killed the electrics at the height of the energy crisis in the 70s and scrapped the copper with hopes of profiteering off the copper sale except copper prices dropped and they lost out.

I agree, Patrick got what he deserved but not soon enough.

Him and his thugs should have been fired and then locked up on the spot for causing that much damage to a company that was struggling, I still am trying to comprehend on who put this fool in charge which resulted in the consequences mentioned above, that decision proved not just costly but fatal as well.

Him and his thugs should have been fired and then locked up on the spot for causing that much damage to a company that was struggling, I still am trying to comprehend on who put this fool in charge which resulted in the consequences mentioned above, that decision proved not just costly but fatal as well.
The stockholders because he gained a majority of stock ownership.

Back