Need station buildings

rhban

My interest is in building routes, not in creating new buildings. Until recently, there were a number of station buildings available already in the game, now there are very few and most of those do not fit my purposes, as I need buildings that open out onto the platform, which like all British and Australian platforms is at the height of the bottom of the doors on the train carriages, not at ground level or near. Many of the former BR station buildings seem to have disappeared from DLS too.
I do not want to have to learn how to create buildings from scratch.

I'm not an asset creator either, but like all model railroaders, I scratch build what I need when I have to do so by combining various assets to create others. I've done this with factory buildings, houses, and even stations.

For high-level platforms that are ready to accept passengers, there are the VSR-series station platforms. They come in various lengths and number of platforms. After placing the platforms, find a station building to match. There are plenty of them on the DLS.

There are also various platform splines. These require an invisible station to be placed down first and then you fiddle with the platform splines to cover and fit however you like. Add the station building to suit.

Thanks. I'll have another look. No probs with platforms or stations. It was the actual buildings I was running short of, although there are some real railways that make every station almost identical so you're never quite sure if you're getting off in the right place.

Thanks. I'll have another look. No probs with platforms or stations. It was the actual buildings I was running short of, although there are some real railways that make every station almost identical so you're never quite sure if you're getting off in the right place.
@rhban - Maybe put up some images of the types of station buildings you need?

Make it easier to help you find some :)

Rico

I'm not an asset creator either, but like all model railroaders, I scratch build what I need when I have to do so by combining various assets to create others. I've done this with factory buildings, houses, and even stations.

For high-level platforms that are ready to accept passengers, there are the VSR-series station platforms. They come in various lengths and number of platforms. After placing the platforms, find a station building to match. There are plenty of them on the DLS.

There are also various platform splines. These require an invisible station to be placed down first and then you fiddle with the platform splines to cover and fit however you like. Add the station building to suit.
This is the whole problem. I have invisible stations, I have plenty of platforms. What I need are station buildings with doors at that level and there are now very few on DLS as most of the BR and French ones have been removed or at least are not visible to my version of trs22.

One trick is just find a building you like. Then either contour the ground or place a concrete slab spline or similar to make a foundation for it.

Raise the building you like upwards to the right height and slide it into place over the slab.

Putting things in different layers and locking them help with placing items over one another. (s1, no idea how it works in s2)

That reminds me, frogpipe: At least one creator, davesnow, is known to have created several build-it-yourself kits that have a wide selection of pits, bobs, parts and whatnots to create custom buildings of your own in Surveyor. I don`t recall off-hand if there is a station-building kit, but there`s nothing to prevent someone from building a station out of the other kits. He has also created a whole village of static station buildings, just what rhban is looking for.

Edit: I meant bits, not pits, but I think that he has some of those, too.

Yes, I like his "kitbash" approach. Allows for many custom buildings.

I often turn to them, or other part sets, or just clipping building a into each other to get the look I want.

My Union Mills in my Big Valley route is, among other assets, one building repeated 5 times and slid together to get the shape I wanted.

Outside of the DLS, Approach Medium has some nice "plant-ons" like AC units and other things on his site, to add detail to buildings.

I think I saw a few of those kinds of things while searching the DLS for stuff to grab before my FCT runs out.

With the new fine-control position-control features is Surveyor 2, it should be even easier to build these custom buildings than it is in Surveyor1.

Dave's buildings are great for that. I took one of his warehouses and put a second one on top to create a two-level version.

Getting back to stations...
On my huge Enfield and Eastern, my station at Hull is at two different levels. I took Ben Dorsey's (RIP) New Haven station building and placed the station building twice with part sunk into the ground as it works as the lower-level station and a second one for the upper level. For platforms, I used the VSR 270 meter (I think that's the length) 2-track station platforms and used those for the interactive platforms. With the station in place, I have a bus drop-off and parking garage integrated into the landscape and station area.

Here's the mill or warehouse:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkuzBzLIoTefgb8NHwps1oKaeYfxaw?e=KgvegO

And Hull:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkuzBzLIoTefgb8Qztta0cwU_HVLSQ?e=BFQolg

I have other locations like this throughout the route.

That reminds me, frogpipe: At least one creator, davesnow, is known to have created several build-it-yourself kits that have a wide selection of pits, bobs, parts and whatnots to create custom buildings of your own in Surveyor. I don`t recall off-hand if there is a station-building kit, but there`s nothing to prevent someone from building a station out of the other kits. He has also created a whole village of static station buildings, just what rhban is looking for.

Edit: I meant bits, not pits, but I think that he has some of those, too.
Sadly, so much of Dave Snow's stuff has either been removed from DLS or falls under the kuid:35000 ban.

However much of Dave`s stuff may have been removed, there is still a lot remaining. I do not believe that I have heard of "the kuid:35000 ban".

Rhban has spoken of KUID 35000 being some magic number before, I have ZERO idea what that means and as far as I know there is no such thing, but I've never pursued clarification.

If it is a reference to the trainz-build 3.5 cutoff for new DLS content, that is NOT the same thing, and only refers to sending new items to the download station. There are plenty of < 3.5 items on the DLS, like 10s if not 100s of 1000s I'd wager.

I have several classic legacy routes that were originally created in versions of Trainz that were released before TS12. I have most of them in TANE and they are busting full of assets older than build 3.5. They all work just fine despite the warning tags that they are no longer supported.
The DLS limit for anything older than build 3.5 is only for uploads to the DLS. It's a limit that has little to do with genuine legacy 3.5 though as anything being uploaded has to pass a much higher standard for scripted functions.

If I go to the DLS webpage and select for everything at TS2009 and older with the keyword 'station' in the building menu I get a list of just over 2000 assets. So where are all these disappeared stations that the OP is talking about? Everything I was using back in TS2004 and TS2009 days still seems to be there, - so what is the problem?

Rhban has spoken of KUID 35000 being some magic number before, I have ZERO idea what that means and as far as I know there is no such thing, but I've never pursued clarification.

If it is a reference to the trainz-build 3.5 cutoff for new DLS content, that is NOT the same thing, and only refers to sending new items to the download station. There are plenty of < 3.5 items on the DLS, like 10s if not 100s of 1000s I'd wager.
My version of the game won't play them. I used to use a number of bridge stations with low kuid numbers, but my current build of Trainz Plus will not put them in the game or, when it does, they (on good days) don't work as they should, or else (bad days) completely corrupt the game. I am very puzzled as to why such a huge number of such assets are still in DLS.

RULES REGARDING TEXTURES?
So far, I have only been building my route, which of course includes stations, speed limits and signal, but very little else apart from ground height. Now, I have begin adding colour, and I find a large number of textures in my palette, when I attempt to apply them, produce a "REMOVED TEXTURE" message. I dread to think what their kuid numbers are! I greatly miss the "arid", "dry" and "tufted" textures I used to have, although I haven't searched DLS for them yet. However, my experience with the textures that apparently came with this current build makes me wonder what sort of limits there are

The new system has a hard limit of sixteen textures per baseboard. There have been quite a few different threads where people have been bitten by this. I understand that the texture to be removed is either the one with the fewest pixels affected (most likely) or the oldest one (least likely).

There is nothing do be done about this; it is, as I said, a hard limit, not a soft one. Not even N3V can fix it.

Back