Mysterious Loco

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Every time I visit my Mom in Searcy, Arkansas, I see a UP loco that I can't identify. It is only used in switching operations. It has been there for years and looks like a shortened version of a GP loco. Where could I go to find and identify this loco?

You could get us a picture. Maybe somebody will recognize it.
My favorite reference book for that kind of thing is "Diesel Locomotives: The First 50 Years" by Louis AS. Marre. (Kalmbach Books)
You might find it at the library, otherwise the local model train shop probably has one you can buy.

:cool: Claude

it may be the Union Pacific GG20B Gen3 as seen in this picture its for switching only.
4jpg63109fw4.jpg

yeah i think that was the one that they had in model railroader. it is a "green loco"

It could either be one of 4 locos;
1) A Morrison-Knutsen MK1200G natural gas 1200 HP switcher.
2) A RailPower "Green Goat" 2000 HP hybrid loco.
3) A GM GP15D or GP20D loco.

All 3 are very similar in external design. On the side it might say "natural gas powered" (MK1200G) or "Hybrid" ("Green Goat").

Another option might be a "genset" switcher that UP may be testing. These would have a faint resemblance to an Alco C-415.

Regards, Ken.

It has a high rear, just like a GP-38, but it looks about 10 ft. shorter in the back. It also has the "Remote Control Loco" emblem. And it is the standard UP Yellow. And it is OLD and BEAT UP!!!

That might be a GP-20. They look similar but still had the smaller 567 engine. The fan shroud on top of the long hood was slightly taller and flared a little.

:cool: Claude

But!!!!!!!!!!!
i did find 2 pics of switchers that are remote controlled
THIS MAY BE IT! EMD GP-15-1!:) Theres were taken where you've seen it! IN Searcy, Arkansas
The EMD GP15-1 is a 4-axle diesel locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division between June, 1976 and March, 1982. Intended to provide an alternative to the rebuilding programs that many railroads were applying to their early road switchers, it is generally employed as a yard switcher or light road switcher. This locomotive is powered by a 12-cylinder EMD 645E engine, which generates 1,500 horsepower (1,119 kW). The GP15-1 uses a 50' 9" frame, has a wheelbase of 29' 9" and has a length over couplers of 54' 11
51500025jpg53210ag5.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/417/2595924upy846sd382mjsnlnq3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's a GP15-1. In town were I live the U.P. yard has a remote controled GP38-2. There is no set locos for RC yard work so you never know what they might decide to use.

Bill

Just for future reference, if you can get close enough, most UP Locos say what they are under the windows on the cab.

Back