My pulp 'Railroad Magazine' collection

dmdrake

Trainz Creator since 2001
I have added a page to my Trainz site which has scanned images of my pulp 'Railroad Magazine' collection. These old magazines from the 1930's through the 1950's have wonderful covers, painted in bright colors, depiction either the most gruesome or most 'bucolic' of scenes. They are a product of the times they come from and provide a touch of time travel.

railroad_193103.jpg

I hope you enjoy them!:D

All aboard!:wave:

Dave

Last edited:
Wow Dave,

I LOVE those covers! What great colors and what a great collection. I'm really glad you held onto those issues, Dave and thanks for letting us see them.

Dave ,

I am curious , What month/year was the magazine's deput and for how long was it published ?

And how did you happen to recieve the collection ?

Thanks and I enjoyed your link --- , dave

EDIT .... Please disregard this request , the first time I opened the link it showed only the Pics , next time it showed the text and pics , which answered my questions , sorry --- ,dave

Last edited:
Still after more!

Dave ,

I am curious , What month/year was the magazine's deput and for how long was it published ?

And how did you happen to recieve the collection ?

Thanks and I enjoyed your link --- , dave

Dates of publication were: monthly from Oct 1906 to Jan 1979. I have been collecting for quite a while. I saw one at a used book store and suddenly remembered seeing them in my grandparents house back in the 50's on Long Island. I bought it just as a 'remembrance of things past' but as I am pretty much of an obsessive/compulsive it got out of hand!:eek: They are hard to come by and since they are printed on pulp paper, there are fewer every year. They just fall apart in your hands if you aren't careful:'(

Dave

Thanks for a sharing those Dave, the paintings are almost like the paintings from the early Thomas stories... I actually have the May and October '49 editions of the magazine tucked away in my New Haven artifacts collection, nice and safe in file protectors.

Hey Dave, what a great collection and even greater presentation. I'm really glad you put the Wikipedia description up top because you had me tossed there for a while. As an ex printer in Australia, I'd never heard of the phrase "Pulp Paper" before. When I first saw your post I thought of those fantastic Railroad and Engineering magazines which I think had the word "Wonders" in the title, but now I realize what they are. The common term for that thick towelling type paper in Australia was "colouring book paper" because that's what colouring books were, and sometimes still are printed on. Having never printed on the stuff I have no idea what the official name is over here. I think it may have been "Bulky Newsprint".

The paper had no cellulose in it, thus the very course feel. The downside is that it breaks down and goes a deep brown in sunlight, so unless they were locked away in cupboards, most of the old magazines still out there would be scorched paper dust by now.

Well done!

Holy Cow, Dave. What a wonderful collection. I looked at every cover on your page. There were only two I couldn't: March of 1931 (gave me a 'not found' error) and June of 1978 which didn't produce a link to the image (no 'hand' cursor). The rest were just great.

Bill

Still in beta!

... There were only two I couldn't: March of 1931 (gave me a 'not found' error) and June of 1978 which didn't produce a link to the image (no 'hand' cursor). The rest were just great.

Bill

Thanks Bill, all fixed now.:eek:

Dave

Further to my earlier comment about the phrase "Pulp Magazines", a friend has just reminded me that the movie "Pulp Fiction" derived its name from said magazines. Silly me!

Back