multiplayer woes

Well, that's another issue, if I get this sorted out the AI traffic for the next MP session will be cut in half - with two players the AI is visible to both, doesn't seem to cause any performance problems, but in the one session we apparently got "out of synch" because he reported an AI train passing thru my train, which I couldn't see. That AI train appeared to me a couple minutes later. Latency due to my DSL connection probably, but I suspect (THEORY, not tested to fact yet) that a high volume of AI traffic in multiplayer sessions is going to contribute to lag. The one MP session I tried without AI traffic I was getting truncated chat window messages, others in the session didn't, and yesterday's test I got the chat window glitch, the other guy said he didn't see it - until about 10 minutes later, when he started getting it too. The AI trains don't cause that because it happens without AI trains, but they may be an aggravating factor in the overall problem.

Anyway, back on topic;

"Just dl/d no missing or broken assets"

But do you get the same "locally modified" list?

Nobody bothered to answer, so I'll tell you what all those files have in common - all TS2010 built in content that was not built into TS12, to make TS12 backward compatible they uploaded all the built in TS2010 assets left out of TS12 so TS12 users would have access to them. This was last spring, some of those assets were uploaded in May 2011, the majority show April 18 as the date. I've been told by other route and session creators that they got disgusted and gave up trying to convince N3V that this is an actual problem, and replaced the assets where they could, or uploaded their own versions of those assets where suitable working replacements weren't available. Looks like I'll end up having to do the same. Not hard to figure why this wasn't caught in testing, the 2010 built in assets weren't available on the DLS when the testing was in progress. One more argument in favor of removing the multiplayer restrictions at least for the session itself - what I was told was to test the session in single player, then add the multiplayer rule last before packaging and uploading. See how well that works, the session has no problems in single player, the minute you add the multiplayer rule it runs into all the automatic checks which the single player doesn't need or use. And then of course you can't test it to find out what the multiplayer 'bot don't like, because once you add the mutliplayer rule the 'bot will reject it because the session itself fails the test since it hasn't been uploaded yet.

Well, I gotta go, I'm out of popcorn. :wave:

Two more

Working on adding an interurban line with overhead wires, test in TS12, two dependencies that had to be downloaded;

HP QTW 3,<kuid:46162:1307>
HP single wire,<kuid:46162:400035>

Same problem, green triangle on arrival.

I can at least say I have the same problem. When I download the bridge, I also have it modified with a yellow warning.

I'm also struggling downloading updates, which I've tried to get support for since I bought this a month ago. I have the steam version, but had planned buying the real thing apparently. Think I'll just give up as Railworks 3 is about to be released, and the tech support has given up.

Well, cloned or replaced all but one asset for the route;

60m Loco Refuel,<kuid:44781:100100>

Problem there is it has a bunch of dependencies;

arrow,<kuid:-3:10092>
Bulk Load,<kuid:-3:10040>
Coal,<kuid:44179:60013>
Container,<kuid:-3:10042>
lars2,<kuid2:30671:69011:1>
Liquid Load,<kuid:-3:10044>
Locomotive Sand,<kuid2:86105:60601:1>
Loco Diesel Fuel,<kuid2:86105:60600:1>
1 track wood,<kuid:-1:15>

The one in red is the problem, TS12 has the original KUID which shows the update available icon - download the update and that arrives with a green triangle. So options;

1. Clone the loco refuel and the locomotive sand, change the clone so it uses the clone of the locomotive sand instead. Cross fingers and pray the DLS cleanup project doesn't screw up one of the other dependencies sometime in the future.

2. Clone everything, replace everything, cross fingers and pray the next version of Trainz doesn't introduce some new error checker parameter to screw it up again.

Honestly, you want people creating content for this game you gotta help at least a little.

grayballast,<kuid:522774:100376>

Warning: An image file ('grayballast.tga') has been supplied where a texture file ('*.texture.txt') is required.

It's a terrain texture, don't have a mesh, doesn't require a .texture.txt file.

Option 3, replace all the 60m loco refuel assets with the TPR engine track 20m, and pray nobody decides to add that or one of its dependencies to the DLS foulup project. :wave: That one uses a different locomotive sand KUID which is built into TS12, and 20 meters should be enough space for even the clumsiest hogger to position close enough for refueling. :hehe:

More from other multiplayer sessions

CN S3 8497,<kuid2:87145:8497:1>
Container Crane 3 static,<kuid:60238:26153>
HP Speed 30 invi,<kuid:46162:1377>
Pflaster7,<kuid2:151900:500210:1>
Signal Man 01 Right,<kuid2:98966:24985:4>
Sign Beacons ATC QR 3,<kuid:46415:28105>
TTX Econo,<kuid2:164988:30066:3>

Well, all I can think of is a compleate and utter Re-install, I've had installs that acted funny and strange, a complete re-install fixed the problems.

No, this is not on my end, these are all the TS2010 built in assets that they uploaded to the DLS for TS12 users to make TS12 backward compatible with TS2010. Which it does, but all the ones I have listed have the "locally modified" tag as soon as you download into TS12, therefore won't run as-is in multiplayer. And you can't revert them either. N3V needs to pull all these off the DLS and fix the locally modified tag and post them again. Not user error, not on my system, not something I'm doing wrong, anyone who has TS12 can duplicate the gripe by downloading any one of those files. The files on the DLS either have the locally modified tag set or are open for edit, they need to be fixed, and can't be fixed by anyone except whoever is in charge of the DLS. I've tried reinstalling, I tried setting internet explorer instead of firefox to be the default browser and installing TS12 again, content manager 3.5 does it, content manager 3.6 does it, others have confirmed same problems with some of the same assets.

It is not on my end, there is nothing I can do about it.

It should not happen. I wish I could fix them.

Also,did you get my PM?

Last edited:
Hurrah!

Well, thank you kindly sir, mission accomplished, bug report submitted, fanboys on my ignore list, tough battle but perseverance wins the week. :cool: Suggest you use April 18 as a starting point, 90% of the ones I've found have that upload date. :wave:

There's no icon. Some sessions are multiplayer and some are singleplayer. If anybody's hosting a session it will show in the session selection list of that route. It seems as long as you have installed the route it will show.

Rah rah sis boom bah!

Okay, NOW it's time for cheerleading, ATTABOY N3V!!!!!!! :D

51475746.jpg

People reporting problems with multiplayer in another thread, taking a wild guess that the new glitch is caused by repairs in progress, I checked the first three in the list - they now arrive without the "locally modified" triangle, so the fixes are already underway. Sierra Hotel to all hands. :wave:

SOLUTION AND VERIFIED
"Be Smarter Than The Software"

For Multiplayer Tag Issues on Asset Data Back-Ups, Utilizing FTP Downloading then Importing into CMP, Importing Built-In Content From TS2010 to TS12, converting your content to unmodified without having to delete and redownload if made available on the DLS, or other like issue which causes significant issues utilize the following procedure:

1. Enter your TS12 Folder Directory, then located the following two folders under UserData: Original and Local
  2. Open the Local Folder and Select All, then Copy.
  3. Open the Original Folder and Paste.
  4. Open CMP, then you MUST COMPLETE AN EXTENDED DATABASE REPAIR
  5. Close CMP, Reopen CMP, then make sure you attempt to load any Missing Assets and Update Any Content Needed (Important For Multiplayer Support)

This process is very effective and the least time consuming approach. There are simple reasons why this is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE, but I would like to keep that unspoken because it could lead to N3V Patching CMP to prevent this however would require a significant overhaul.

Last edited:
SOLUTION AND VERIFIED
"Be Smarter Than The Software"

you realize that trying to be 'smart' as you put it could possibly overwrite and/or damage existing content in your install? this might work better on a new install but for on that has been used for a while, you are likely to overwrite and break things. this would require a complete re-install and re download of everything you ever had from the DLS if not backed up. please reconsider how smart this actually is.

"Open the pod bay door, HAL!" "I don't think that would be a good idea, Dave!"

Might be a generational thing, for those who never saw "2001 - A Space Odyssey" the basic plot was a spaceship with a super smart AI computer, which decided the mission would be better if it killed the human crew. Trying to prevent human error with programming is nothing new, a more recent example was the really really smart autopilot designed to eliminate pilot error;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctM7ywYdwE

Since the crew was attempting a missed approach and the computer decided it was time to land, it refused to allow the crew to override the autopilot.

Trying to prevent human error with programming has historically created more problems than it could ever prevent, Trainz multiplayer is not an exception to that.

Back