MSTS X future in doubt.

axe1970

Kuid: 1970 - J/D 5/8/2001
Hi Guy's,

Just a Heads Up for anyone interested. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981

Redmond, Washington-based ACES Studio, the Microsoft-owned internal group behind the venerable Microsoft Flight Simulator series, has been heavily affected by Microsoft's ongoing job cuts.

These are the same team that are developing MSTS X or MSTS2

My thoughts go out to the workers and family of those that have lost their Job. Sad day for them.

Regards

It is sad and I hate to see that happen, especially to the PC gaming market . Perhaps one silver lining is that Auran's sales should show an increase by picking up more of the MSTS community.

I doubt MSTS will end up in a garbage can. They've got too much invested in it. MS will probably sit on it for awhile until things sort themselves out.

Bernie

I doubt MSTS will end up in a garbage can. They've got too much invested in it. MS will probably sit on it for awhile until things sort themselves out.

Bernie

You obviously don't know Microsoft very well.:confused: This is a shame. Well, it looks like TRS will be the best simulator out there until something else comes along. (KRS is horrible in my opinion.)

Horseshoe Curve

Horrible news indeed...I was hoping that MSTS would release its Horseshoe Curve route, sooner than mine is completed. Now I just have to get my Horseshoe Curve route completed, as MSTS, seemingly, is not going to beat me to the press ?:mop: :'( :mop: I have merged 2 DEM's on DLS (Fishlipsatwork with DC Fox) and have added additional baseboards for the Wopsononock RR, and am detailing the Muleshoe Curve, Allegheny Portage Inclined Plane(s), several coal branch lines, and Johnstown Flood area(s). Screenshots are comming soon. Anyone else out there doing a Horseshoe Curve route besides M Evans & Sethmcs ? Grogstop ? USLW ? Who else ? PRR fans unite !:cool:

Oh drat... I'm not so much worried about MSTS as I am the jobs. MSTS never caught on with me unfortunately.

I agree with Isaacg about the jobs. Although this could be an open door that Auran should go through! This could bump Auran's sales up quite a bit.

This doesn't mean that MSTS 2 is dead yet, the layoffs are scheduled to occur over a span of 18 months, and the release target for MSTS 2 was 3rd quarter 2009. 1400 jobs are being cut immediately, and supposedly include most of the MSFS dev team.

It would probably depend on how close to a finished product MSTS 2 is at this point, whether they feel it worth keeping on enough staff to bring it to market. AFAIK, MSFS didn't have any product nearing market anytime soon, so there's be no need for most of them.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see whether it gets canned for the 2nd time or not.

For what it is worth here is some info from the head of AVSIM,

Folks, we have been working all morning to get details on the demise of ACES Studios beyond the rumors flying on the various game sites. That news is starting to roll in. Most of it is non-attributable because of NDA's and slight chances for some members to have continued employment with MS in other studios / home rooms.

The picture that is emerging is not pretty. Of the over forty ACES members assigned to MSFS, all but six appear to be immediately impacted. Those six will be left to button up the product, burn master DVDS and then be forced to look for employment within the greater MS.

TrainSim is dead. There will be no further releases of this product, according to our sources.

We are working on this and developing the story. In the meantime, you may want to read my blog.

Tom Allensworth
AVSIM Janitor

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=59 ... pic=241688

and from IGN

Microsoft Confirms Aces Closure
Studio responsible for Flight Simulator shut down amidst layoffs.
by Jason Ocampo
US, January 23, 2009 - Microsoft has confirmed the closure of Aces Game Studio, the internal development studio responsible for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flight Simulator is one of the company's oldest product lines, stretching back more than 20 years. The closure came amidst the company's first major layoffs in its history, announced on Thursday. Approximately 5,000 Microsoft employees will be laid off; around 1,400 were cut immediately, with the remainder to but cut over the next 18 months.

In a statement, Kelda Rericha of Edelman, Microsoft's public relations firm, said that the decision was made within Microsoft's Internal Entertainment Business "to align our people against our highest priorities."

The closure of Aces marks the shuttering of another major developer within Microsoft Game Studios. Since September of 2007, the company has shut down FASA Studio (Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, and Shadowrun), announced the closure of Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires), and Carbonated Games (Hexic HD, Uno). In addition, Bungie, the studio responsible for Halo, left Microsoft Games Studios and became an independent studio, though Microsoft does maintain an ownership stake in it.

Does this mean the end of the Flight Simulator franchise? According to Rericha, "We are committed to the Flight Simulator franchise which has proven to be a successful PC based game for the last 27 years. You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great LIVE experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."
John

Well, if it is dead, I hope they at least save what they've done with it, and don't just dump it all in the metaphorical shredder...I have/had high hopes for this game.

Why get rid of the FSX team when you could just get rid of the Vista crew instead?

Heck, just scrap Steve Ballmer while you're at it.

I don't understand why you'd ditch a specialized group making products that people actually LIKE when you still keep on the Vista guys...

I think it's a tragedy really. The rail simulator market is very small, it is something that needs to be expanded.

MSTS is basically dead really, KRS isn't performing as well. Auran and TRS is the only one moving ahead and it's pleasing to see from this (Colhad's) point of view.

I just find it kinda ironic that someone mentioned that Auran wasn't Microsoft when it came to funding about a week or two ago, and now this happens. It is a shame though. MSTS2 had so much promise, but at least we still have trainz.

Since some people don't search anymore, is it possible for the moderators to merge the other thread on the same subject with this thread?

In one of the articles it states:
MS remains commited to the Flight and Train Simulator franchises, and while it is possible that the products will be continued in some form in the future, for the time being no further development is being done.
Huhh, will be continued in some form, but no further development??

Microsoft will still have around $US4 billion profit, yet they still want to cut some of their staff. Perhaps Microsoft need to sack other people instead.

This isn't really a surprise to me. When I heard recently that the release date was Holidays 2009 I wondered if it would make it. Three years of production costs is a lot of money for a game that has a limited audience and requires a pretty hefty PC to run it in today's game console world.

William

Just saying something here that ive noticed, if i am wrong just say so and not rip my head off.

I see people saying this will put MSTS X off and it might not be released, Is this not what happened to Auran awile back ? ( probably more serious ) and i don't remember this many people saying its over already...

Back